Page 1 of 1
What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:18 am
by Davethepitch
I wonder approximately how much you stash is worth.
Dave
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 am
by Stokesy44
Mine cannot be measured in monetary terms. Mine has psychological value based on the below metrics and their impact on my sanity
1 - why did you buy me?
2 - you've got one of me already, you IDIOT
3 - seriously?
4 - like you'll ever put me in a diorama?
5 - should have read the reviews before you bought me SUCKER
6 - stop staring at me like an adolescent teenager and put me on the bench - COWARD
7 - they saw you coming when you bought me
Probably around the £600 mark if I do a quick back of a fag packet estimate.

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:53 am
by Avgas
About £1200. I didn't really want to know that.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:04 am
by ElCapitan
Less than £100. I have specific interests I guess!
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:45 pm
by digger303
retail price or what we could sell it for now !
12,000 cost to me...bought a lot when our dollar was good.
9,500 if I'm lucky
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:49 pm
by Lysus
Some money.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:00 pm
by Davethepitch
digger303 wrote:retail price or what we could sell it for now !
12,000 cost to me...bought a lot when our dollar was good.
9,500 if I'm lucky
I should have mentioned I meant a personal stash.
Dave
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:22 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
These are dangerous topics, very dangerous and should never be discussed in public, especially around one's spouse
My stash is worth maybe a hundred dollars or so....
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:25 pm
by Lysus
Twokidsnosleep wrote:These are dangerous topics, very dangerous and should never be discussed in public, especially around one's spouse
My stash is worth maybe a hundred dollars or so....
Well, they were all only $10, right? Right?
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:30 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Lysus wrote:Twokidsnosleep wrote:These are dangerous topics, very dangerous and should never be discussed in public, especially around one's spouse
My stash is worth maybe a hundred dollars or so....
Well, they were all only $10, right? Right?
'Zactly

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:35 pm
by d6mst0
They are worth a fortune to me and it is what I plan on leaving my son when I pass on, LOL!
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:37 pm
by Lysus
Twokidsnosleep wrote:Lysus wrote:Twokidsnosleep wrote:These are dangerous topics, very dangerous and should never be discussed in public, especially around one's spouse
My stash is worth maybe a hundred dollars or so....
Well, they were all only $10, right? Right?
'Zactly


Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:49 pm
by Davethepitch
Twokidsnosleep wrote:These are dangerous topics, very dangerous and should never be discussed in public, especially around one's spouse
My stash is worth maybe a hundred dollars or so....
It's like women with loads of pairs of shoes.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:49 pm
by Nev
I won all mine in a competition

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:19 pm
by cptgandy
My stash is worth about £60 retail because im a budget modeller and i have 3 kits which have not been started yet

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:08 pm
by Paul
Erm i estimate approx £10,000, I've got a lot of high value kits

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:20 pm
by Lysus
That's a heavy stash, nyuk nyuk nyuk
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 pm
by Technophobe
Hmmm, have recently started to catalogue my stash for insurance purposes and based upon what I paid, including kits, accessories, decals and books, just over £40,000 (said quickly, it doesn't sound that much

), but doesn't include kits that I finished before I started to catalogue everything.
This figure also doesn't include all the paints, adhesives, brushes, airbrushes, compressor, extractor fan, various tools including drills, punches, pliers, sanders, scratch building plastics etc...
Also not included are the magazines, which included complete sets of SAM, SAMI, Model Airplane International plus most of the Model Aircraft Monthly, Airfix Magazine (the original series before the current release) so would guess the final figure may be approaching £50K.
Still it keeps me at home, off the streets and out of the pub, well that's what I tell SWTSSBO

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 pm
by digger303
Another dangerous thought once built value is nil zero ...zilch . Maybe that's why I'm such a slow builder....

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:30 am
by SergioSolo
Oh, no... The forbidden question!
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:16 am
by digger303
Never even gave insurance a thought...until now. Wonder if the insurance companies would accept scalemates as proof if a claim was made. I'll have to slowly mull this all over.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:16 pm
by Johnj
Defo £1000's dave. I wouldnt want my daughter to find out or i might find myself flung down a set of stairs or something.
She has already told me they will be on ebay before that curtain closes in the crematorium when my time comes.
20161204_184421_zpsmiuffih6.jpg
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:46 pm
by OneSmallStep1966
Unbuilt kit stash £1.5K+, but for insurance purposes I'd have to add another £2K for all the modelling related equipment in my den too.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:53 pm
by Lee
I would say with my two recent additions, which make up 40%, I would say about £2,000 a But don't tell the missus

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:09 pm
by digger303
Lee wrote:I would say with my two recent additions, which make up 40%, I would say about £2,000 a But don't tell the missus

yes the value kind of creeps up on you over the years and before long it's up there in the realms of ....REALLY that much...

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:36 pm
by Technophobe
digger303 wrote:Never even gave insurance a thought...until now. Wonder if the insurance companies would accept scalemates as proof if a claim was made. I'll have to slowly mull this all over.
I hadn't given it much thought either until our contents insurance was due and when asked if we had any significant value items, looking around my office at all the kits, the penny dropped, although the stash is still not insured as I am waiting until I have everything logged first.
As for Scalemates, I would say that the insurance companies would not accept this as proof, for one thing Scalemates doesn't show any prices or allow you to enter a price, so I've been using Kitbase by Suisoft and can highly recommend it!
I am also unsure if the kits would be covered under a normal contents insurance policy but haven't looked fully into this yet
I've also kept almost every invoice I've received as well as all emails, a bit anal but hopefully this should cover me, in the event of any loss.
Wonder if I can get "Accidental Damage" on the policy ?

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:44 pm
by AdamLuscombe
Mines probably about £130 worth, and it is growing quickly...
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:48 pm
by Lysus
Technophobe wrote:digger303 wrote:Never even gave insurance a thought...until now. Wonder if the insurance companies would accept scalemates as proof if a claim was made. I'll have to slowly mull this all over.
I hadn't given it much thought either until our contents insurance was due and when asked if we had any significant value items, looking around my office at all the kits, the penny dropped, although the stash is still not insured as I am waiting until I have everything logged first.
As for Scalemates, I would say that the insurance companies would not accept this as proof, for one thing Scalemates doesn't show any prices or allow you to enter a price, so I've been using Kitbase by Suisoft and can highly recommend it!
I am also unsure if the kits would be covered under a normal contents insurance policy but haven't looked fully into this yet
I've also kept almost every invoice I've received as well as all emails, a bit anal but hopefully this should cover me, in the event of any loss.
Wonder if I can get "Accidental Damage" on the policy ?

Logging is good, but also take a video and name each item and value, then store it in a couple places (thumb drive, Google drive, etc.)
Easy way to demonstrate what was there and nigh impossible to be destroyed in a fire

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:44 am
by digger303
Technophobe wrote:digger303 wrote:Never even gave insurance a thought...until now. Wonder if the insurance companies would accept scalemates as proof if a claim was made. I'll have to slowly mull this all over.
I hadn't given it much thought either until our contents insurance was due and when asked if we had any significant value items, looking around my office at all the kits, the penny dropped, although the stash is still not insured as I am waiting until I have everything logged first.
As for Scalemates, I would say that the insurance companies would not accept this as proof, for one thing Scalemates doesn't show any prices or allow you to enter a price, so I've been using Kitbase by Suisoft and can highly recommend it!
I am also unsure if the kits would be covered under a normal contents insurance policy but haven't looked fully into this yet
I've also kept almost every invoice I've received as well as all emails, a bit anal but hopefully this should cover me, in the event of any loss.
Wonder if I can get "Accidental Damage" on the policy ?

scalemates does let you enter a price, a date for purchase and even where you have it stored.
For me if the house burnt down I would lose any paper records plus the computer.
Photo's would seem the way to go and store them on the cloud.
Johnj ....least your daughters honest and straight forward. Nice to know where you stand...

. Mine would be the same I suspect.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:47 am
by Johnj
Lol, yeah, brutaly honest i'm afraid !
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:01 pm
by gazmat
Hi John.

..Think mines probably in the region of about £1500-£2000, but a lot more because of ancillaries...Cheaper that a lot of hobbies, I have had in the past.

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:47 pm
by Plopper
I only have two kits in mine at the moment, two Tamiya bikes, but I did pay over the odds for them so about £60. That figure will probably never grow much above that as I always buy a kit to start within a week or two, as I come to the end of one I start thinking about another or do some scratch building or papercraft. As for all the other stuff that comes with the stash!!! Probably around £1000 for the shed and all the equipment in it!
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:13 pm
by TheTroyster
Nobody would want the stuff in my stash - too strange - so Ill put the value at Zero - although I have dropped over $200 US dollars on all the stuff.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:43 pm
by burnie43
now how could I put a price on my stash.......cause it grows DAILY.....!!
I have tried selling it off but after a few go I just replace them again....so I won't go down the selling road again...
mind you I can never get the selling price that I seem to have to pay when I'm buying !!!
M
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:54 pm
by Technophobe
digger303 wrote:
Scalemates does let you enter a price, a date for purchase and even where you have it stored.
For me if the house burnt down I would lose any paper records plus the computer.
Photo's would seem the way to go and store them on the cloud.
:cheers2
Never knew that, I've got an account on Scalemates and never saw an option to enter pricing must have been too technical

(guess my pseudonym is accurate

) but more likely, I just haven't looked for long enough or got bored doing so
I'll pop over to Stashmates and browse a little bit harder but as fo using Kitbase, it is always backed up to my iCloud and I'm fortunate enough to have storage facilities away from the house, so that my paper records are safe although I appreciate that this option is not available to all.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:18 am
by ScaleModelJedi
After having a look trough mine I roughly estimate it's worth about £6,000. Quite scary astuff this time last year I was only just buying my first kit.

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:32 am
by Kevthemodeller
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:33 am
by Nev
Me too £1,600 quid over 3 years doesn't feel so bad now

don't tell my wife

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 am
by digger303
Technophobe wrote:digger303 wrote:
Scalemates does let you enter a price, a date for purchase and even where you have it stored.
For me if the house burnt down I would lose any paper records plus the computer.
Photo's would seem the way to go and store them on the cloud.
:cheers2
Never knew that, I've got an account on Scalemates and never saw an option to enter pricing must have been too technical

(guess my pseudonym is accurate

) but more likely, I just haven't looked for long enough or got bored doing so
I'll pop over to Stashmates and browse a little bit harder but as fo using Kitbase, it is always backed up to my iCloud and I'm fortunate enough to have storage facilities away from the house, so that my paper records are safe although I appreciate that this option is not available to all.
you have to click on the green square with a plus sign in it. That will bring up a small menu also clickable.

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 am
by privatepete
Nev wrote:
Me too £1,600 quid over 3 years doesn't feel so bad now

don't tell my wife

Hi Mike, I'm open to bribery £££££ and remember
I known where you live ,I think things are looking up in the prezzie department don't you?

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:40 pm
by Nev
privatepete wrote:Nev wrote:
Me too £1,600 quid over 3 years doesn't feel so bad now

don't tell my wife

Hi Mike, I'm open to bribery £££££ and remember
I known where you live ,I think things are looking up in the prezzie department don't you?


Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:22 pm
by Lysus
That's some sound reasoning. I agree!
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:33 pm
by Davethepitch
It is surprising how much money can be spent on a hobby especially when buying the tools and paints to do the build.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:05 pm
by Willem
It's a funny question. I did start thinking about valuing up my stash but then I realised that, to me, it is priceless.
Some kits may get moved on and some may get started then binned but it represents my happy place and a little bit of sanity.

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:31 pm
by SteelScooter
About £15,000 ($19,000) but probably quite a bit more @RRP for insurance purposes. I have 76 Dragon armour kits alone at the moment with Hobby Boss (91), Trumpeter (88), Tamiya (74), MiniArt (42), Eduard (32) being the other heavy hitters. I only have 14 Meng kits though which makes me sad.
Before health problems I was heavily into Motorcycles and had 4 in the garage at one point so modelling is a relatively cheap pastime compared to that.

Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:19 pm
by CraigPetterson
As a returner to the hobby I reckon about £65-£70.
Re: What's the value of your stash
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:30 pm
by HIghAltitudeScale
Emotionally and for all i get out of it, the value of my stash is priceless