Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Marzoo
Private
Private
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:20 pm
Location: Dublin, CA
Contact:
United States of America

Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by Marzoo »

I have heard this term on reviews but in trying to research it on-line I don't get a clear description of what In Register means. Something do with the printing of the decals but not sure how one determines what is in or out of register.
Dave Marzola
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by Stokesy44 »

Hi Marzoo

I think it simply means are the colours right? A common one is RAF wing roundels, some kit companies get the reds and blues for the WW2 markings wrong.
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by chief5437 »

My take on it is a bit different. I class 'out of register' as being miss aligned. Roundels being eccentric rather than concentric. Or stars and bars where the star is out of place, or colours overlapping. You get what I mean, it just doesn't look right, lol!

I may be mistaken of course!
Chief
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by digger303 »

chief5437 wrote:My take on it is a bit different. I class 'out of register' as being miss aligned. Roundels being eccentric rather than concentric. Or stars and bars where the star is out of place, or colours overlapping. You get what I mean, it just doesn't look right, lol!

I may be mistaken of course!
That's what I understood it too be and of course colors being off is no good either.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by Stokesy44 »

digger303 wrote:
chief5437 wrote:My take on it is a bit different. I class 'out of register' as being miss aligned. Roundels being eccentric rather than concentric. Or stars and bars where the star is out of place, or colours overlapping. You get what I mean, it just doesn't look right, lol!

I may be mistaken of course!
That's what I understood it too be and of course colors being off is no good either.
"It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong - I am not a big man" - quote from the movie 'Fletch'

After being so rudely contradicted by my peers I had a quick look on the web to see if there was any more info out there that might help. I pulled this off a site where a Trumpy Douglas SBD was being reviewed. Here's the section on the decals.

"Somewhere in everyone's life there is a moment that they wished had never happened, a total regret and embarrassment. For the Trumpeter Dauntless it is the decals. While their quality is very nice including register and carrier film, the content is quite literally trash. They should have shipped the things with no decals at all in my opinion.

A single sheet of marking decals is joined by a single smaller sheet of stencils. One might be able to salvage a few items off of the latter sheet, and perhaps there are a couple of items on the main sheet that pass, but someone doing the art for the main sheet was sitting too close to the halogen bulbs.

The general color of the sheet is off historically speaking (especially the shade of red on the national insignias), and one would have a tough time correcting the national insignias horrid geometric errors. This reviewer highly recommends seeking aftermarket replacements."

The reviewer clearly states that register is different to colour and shape so Digger and Chief are exactly right. I hope that clears up the issue for you mate.
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
kruno59
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bexleyheath - Kent - UK

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by kruno59 »

Miss register is a printing term - look under any colour pic in a magazine or newspaper with a magnifying glass and you will normally see one of the 4 colours (yellow/red/blue or back) that slightly overlaps the image.

The term has nothing to do with quality although the effect does have a major affect on the brightness and sharpness of the image - perfect register in printing is almost impossible given the organic nature of paper and the actual printing process.
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by RobertK »

To clearly illustrate the problem I made two images in photoshop. One that is ok and one is out of register.


In register:
Image

Out of register:
Image
:banana:
User avatar
Marzoo
Private
Private
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:20 pm
Location: Dublin, CA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by Marzoo »

Thanks for all your inputs. I have a better understanding
Dave Marzola
User avatar
SteelScooter
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:43 am
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK
England

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by SteelScooter »

As stated it is a printing term to describe when consecutively printed colours do not line up. It is not related to the colour itself being wrong. See the stars below. Say the red was printed first and then the outline, something went wrong and the second pass wasn't lined up correctly. Yuck! :)


Image


:cheers2:
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Scalemates: http://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate ... 08&p=stash
User avatar
Technophobe
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:08 am
Location: If you find out, please let me know
England

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by Technophobe »

Out of register decals?

See any Airfix decal sheet prior to Hornby ownership!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all, down here on Earth!
graciasuk
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:29 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Decals In Resgiter/Out of Register

Post by graciasuk »

Hi guys i am a printer by trade and mis register does mean when colours are mis aligned and don't match up to a key line or another colour.

FYI i print wine bottle labels so not my fault for shoddy printed decals. Lol
Mark
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”