Page 1 of 1
Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:23 am
by SprueSurgeon
If you don't know what I mean by plain vanilla builds, I shall try to clarify myself, this is not there correct term its just a phrase I have used to describe a model built out of the box without any paint or maybe a tiny accent colour somewhere but generally the type you see when Airfix etc announce a new model, am I alone in thinking they look quite nice especially if they've got little bits of brass from photo etch here and there, having said that I wouldn't want to build all my models in that way, not unlike a digital photo where you may remove the colour from 1 version of an image you have taken likewise maybe models I've already built a version of before, a Tornado for example which I've already built or a variation of Spitfire, what does everyone else think? Do you see anything in it or are you horrified by the idea
Re: Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:56 am
by Stokesy44
Option 2 mate but that's a purely personal preference. Its your kit and if you like to view it as a display of the kit's engineering as opposed to the subject it represents then fair play to you. I like the Airfix CAD images and the images you get on sites like Eduard for their PE sets, its intriguing for me in the same way that I look at house extensions as they progress or the construction of large buildings.
Re: Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:20 am
by Avgas
Something to be said for it. I would imagine it's a lot harder to build a neat vanilla build and make it look like a CAD.
Re: Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:37 pm
by chief5437
I really like the idea, and often thought of doing it myself. I'd love to see you do one.
Re: Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:16 pm
by Lysus
Avgas wrote:Something to be said for it. I would imagine it's a lot harder to build a neat vanilla build and make it look like a CAD.
This.
I would think it fun, actually. Maybe try to match a grey to the bare plastic so you can fix up some gaps and then spray it. Personally I think doing something a little different from the norm every now and then is good for the motivation.
Re: Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:31 pm
by digger303
Good on ya, daring to be different.

Re: Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:25 pm
by SprueSurgeon
chief5437 wrote:I really like the idea, and often thought of doing it myself. I'd love to see you do one.
I am currently building the Airfix 1/72 BAe Sea
Harrier FA2 in the newly termed Vanilla skin and it has been an eye opener in many ways i will be making a short video on my results in the coming days, which will go up on my you tube channel. Thanks to everyone that showed an interest.
ATB
Sprue Surgeon
PhotoMorph
Mark
Re: Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:03 am
by Cymru
Curious, you got a link to your YT channel?
Re: Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:21 am
by Johnj
Interesting that this has come up as i've been thinking of doing exactly this with the 1/24 typhoon. I only paid £50 or so for the kit and i was quite dissapointed that you couldnt add all that stunning detail if you wanted to fit the cowls to the model when finished. They would never have a car or bike with huge engine detail and not be able to fit the bonnet/engine cover or fairings ! Anyway lol thats another story. I was thinking of going even further and do cut-aways to show the cockpit and wing internals ? The PE does add a nice bit of contrast with the colour but the cost goes up quite a bit for the privilage.
Re: Plain vanilla builds?
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:32 am
by Stokesy44
Johnj wrote:Interesting that this has come up as i've been thinking of doing exactly this with the 1/24 typhoon. I only paid £50 or so for the kit and i was quite dissapointed that you couldnt add all that stunning detail if you wanted to fit the cowls to the model when finished. They would never have a car or bike with huge engine detail and not be able to fit the bonnet/engine cover or fairings ! Anyway lol thats another story. I was thinking of going even further and do cut-aways to show the cockpit and wing internals ? The PE does add a nice bit of contrast with the colour but the cost goes up quite a bit for the privilage.
That would be a great subject to work on. I feel your pain re the engine covers, its a trade off resulting from Airfix wanting to get the scale of the engine right. They haven't embraced the Tamiya concept of super thin covers, mind you, probably just as well as doubtless the kit would have cost more as a result.
I'm surprised no one has come out with some super thin after market covers for those who want to stuff their faces with cake and ogle said cake at the same time
I built mine with its knickers well and truly down, all the covers off and both gun bays opened. I couldn't bare not to see all that detail. If I had more skill I would have taken some of the wing and fuselage skins off too so I could see the fuel tanks, main wing spars and the cockpit detail.
Alas, I would almost certainly have ruined it had I tried. By the way, building the Tiffy is what led me to ISM. It was the first kit I built after coming back to the hobby and I wanted to get into air brushing. Damn you Airfix and ISM - you've ruined me!!!!!