Page 1 of 1

Loosing bits

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:25 pm
by Avgas
Has anyone ever built a model without loosing at least one bit? I've probably done around 35 since coming back to the hobby and haven't managed it yet. I've just pinged the rear gunner's PE trigger and pistol grip on my Stuka :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: Everytime I start a new build I have in the back of my mind that this is the one, this is the one I'm going to build without loosing any bits.

Re: Loosing bits

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:36 pm
by ElCapitan
Stick a pair of tights over the end of the hoover nozzle, it'll find bits on the floor without sucking them right up.

Re: Loosing bits

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:56 pm
by chops1sc
I have tile floor in my man cave but I still lose parts, lol! I guess mine is called the tile monster?

Re: Loosing bits

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:59 pm
by Avgas
Good tip Rob. By the way I've found the bit after clearing my workbench, searching that for 15 minutes and scouring the floor with a powerful torch. It was stuck to the front of my jumper, so game on again.

Re: Loosing bits

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:10 pm
by Tomcat64
Yup dropping bits is one of my specialities but I have a reasonably good hit rate on finding them again.

On one occasion my wife was helping in the search mission and came across a part from a previous build that I'd given up on wedged between padding on my chair (how did it get there?!?!? I was sitting on the damn chair!), luckily it was external and went right back where it was supposed to!

Re: Loosing bits

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:24 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I do lose or even break parts that drives me nuts
Also losing hair, brain cells, sanity.......

Re: Loosing bits

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:42 pm
by Plopper
If you have looked at any of my (so far few) build topics you'll see that I loose pieces on a daily bases some times, usually ending up in me having to fabricate a replacement part out of anything that will work!

I also have no carpet in my shed, but I do have a nice tile effect cushion flooring that seems to HIDE the damn parts even better than carpet.

But that's all a part of the fun of our brilliant hobby, if you loose a piece, so what, make another one and carry on.

Re: Loosing bits

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:31 am
by Monte
Twokidsnosleep wrote:I do lose or even break parts that drives me nuts
Also losing hair, brain cells, sanity.......
The hair is still there but my brain cells and sanity are long gone!! :crazy:

Re: Loosing bits

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:22 am
by sheppsea
My work bench is in my loft and there isn't flooring covering the whole floor, so if a part does fling away it normally ends up in the insulation, never to be seen again

A project for next summer is going to be to cover the whole floor with proper flooring; the previous owners also used old doors rather than flooring so it really isn't fit for purpose, I've started getting holes etc in it since starting to spend more time up there :shock:

Re: Loosing bits

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:13 pm
by SteelScooter
Look on the positive side it improves your scratch building skills. :D I first learnt how to use my Dremel as a lathe when I had to fabricate a domed vent cover from sprue when the original disappeared in the kitchen. I never did find the original I must have swallowed it :wtf:

:cheers2: