I just had to buy that kit again!

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Bassman
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:04 am
Location: Buckinghamshire

I just had to buy that kit again!

Post by Bassman »

Do you have those moments? It may not be the best kit you ever made, but you just had to buy it again. Was it nostalgia, or did the original meet with a sticky (so to speak) end! For that matter did you want to have another try and see if you could do a better job of it.

On reflection I think I can cover those reasons!

I must confess to having a soft spot for the old IMC car/truck kits. I bought a few of them when they were available originally and, of course, liked all the opening parts. In the stash there is currently a Testors reboxing of the Cougar 2, a Lindberg reboxing of the Little Red Wagon which I imported via Amazon US and the Lindberg reboxing of the Dodge truck and trailer (now with a '40 Ford for a load). I built the originals a good 40 years ago. Though I never got around to buying the original, so it doesn't really count, I bought the IMAI reboxing of their VW Beetle, which could also be built with a big V8 as a hot rod!

The Revell NS Savannah falls into the nostalgia category as I am not sure where my original is.

My Monogram B36 is in need of TLC (or something) as it has lost rather a lot of propellor blades. One of the undercarriage legs snapped, but a bit of drilling and a shortened common or garden pin fixed that. I have covered myself with a closing down sale replacement a while ago, if the need arises!

For some reason I had fit issues with the old Airfix Bv141 cockpit canopy. That plus I painted the thing in the wrong colours! I have a replacement waiting!

I built the old ERTL Payhauler Dump Truck in my "if the plastic is the right colour it won't get painted there" days. I bought the AMT release a number of years ago. There is a lot of plastic to paint, I must say. Moulded this time in light grey.

I can think of a few more of my old models that I would love to have another try at... if someone ever re-released them.
User avatar
graham22
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:11 pm
Location: Tamworth Staffs

Re: I just had to buy that kit again!

Post by graham22 »

my must buy again were the Vosper MTB and E Boat from Airfix,
I was looking for them on eBay but got both when they were rereleased

Another is the 1/12 6 wheel Tyrrell from Tamiya but that's on the back burner for now
Live long and Prosper - where does all the time go?
My Portfolio - My YouTube Channel - Airfix Club member no 610322
on the bench
Completed 2015-9,2014-23 2013-9, 2012-5 - Stash 158
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: I just had to buy that kit again!

Post by UKscalemodeller »

I bought two Zvezda Bf109F kits for the WW2 group build, they were chopped up but I liked the kit so much I went and bought two more!
Johni044
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Skelmersdale, Lancashire, U.K.

Re: I just had to buy that kit again!

Post by Johni044 »

Mine was the Airfix EE Lightning in 1:48. Had 4 about 15 years ago till SWMBO put net curtains next to them and opened the window, pitot tubes, refuelling probes, net curtains Wind and a 5' drop. I'll let you work out the result.

Made 2 F6's last year and got three more and an F1 in the stash for next year. Love that kit.
My Portfolio
2014: acquired 51; Built 27

On the bench, Urm a lot.....
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: I just had to buy that kit again!

Post by Coen »

I haven't had a kit that I wanted to do that to.
But I have a subject that I've done that with and I've tried different kits to pull it off.
It's a Tiger I of course. Wittmann's Kursk Tiger. I've built it 5 times trying to get it right. I've used 5 different kits to do it.
Cuckoo :crazy:
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: I just had to buy that kit again!

Post by Gav0909 »

I have the new tool Airfix Harrier GR7/GR9 kit, I built it up fine, but it ended up being a nightmare to paint, to the point that I just knew I was never going to be happy with the result. So I would buy that kit again, as I think any British modeller should have 3 kits in their collection for sure, A Spitfire, a Red Arrows Hawk and a Harrier.

So that, or the new GR3 or GR1 kits would be one I would buy again.
User avatar
Daishi12
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: Mountain Ash, South Wales
Wales

Re: I just had to buy that kit again!

Post by Daishi12 »

For me it would possibly be the old Airfix Ford Trimotor 1/72. The reason is that when my Grandad passed away I was too young to go to his funeral so my dad bought me the kit which I made up in my Grandads flat. So I'm not sure whether it would bring back good or bad memories.
W.I.P.

Revell 1/72 P-47M
Airfix 1/72 Bristol F2B Fighter

Technical Consultation for MrsModellor :- Tamiya 1/35 S.A.S. Pink Panther
Bassman
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:04 am
Location: Buckinghamshire

Re: I just had to buy that kit again!

Post by Bassman »

I bought the Aifix 3 plane set which included the Ford Trimotor, DH Heron and DH Beaver. I'd built the Trimotor and the Heron years ago and rather liked the idea of doing the Heron, especially as I have the Rareplanes DH Dove/Devon... hidden in another kit's box!
Johni044
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Skelmersdale, Lancashire, U.K.

Re: I just had to buy that kit again!

Post by Johni044 »

Gav0909 wrote:I have the new tool Airfix Harrier GR7/GR9 kit, I built it up fine, but it ended up being a nightmare to paint, to the point that I just knew I was never going to be happy with the result. So I would buy that kit again, as I think any British modeller should have 3 kits in their collection for sure, A Spitfire, a Red Arrows Hawk and a Harrier.

So that, or the new GR3 or GR1 kits would be one I would buy again.
The last Harrier I built I painted most of the fuselage before attaching the wings, found it much easier.
My Portfolio
2014: acquired 51; Built 27

On the bench, Urm a lot.....
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”