Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post Reply
Chelsea
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by Chelsea »

Hi everyone this is my first time and first build I'm working on the F-14 Tomcat academy model scale 1/72
So far it's all going well I'm taking my time doing a little bit a day.

My plan is to build and paint in sections, pre-painting the wings before I fit them to the fuselage and then giving the fuselage wings a final coat when assembled.

Currently I don't own an airbrush but I'm pretty good with spray pack paints using them many times before for different things.
The fuselage itself needs a little putty on one of the areas the rivits was joining it too the plastic brackets and I did sadly get a little glue fingerprint on the wing which I've sanded heaps n heaps trying to smooth it down without taking the flap markings off.

I currently would love to weather the tomcat but I don't have the skills as of yet.

I'll include some photos of my work so far and thank you for letting a girl play planes as well it's a fantastic fun hobby and so far loving it c:
Cats, tigers, leopards and planes <3
Chelsea
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by Chelsea »

Some photos c:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cats, tigers, leopards and planes <3
Chelsea
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by Chelsea »

Priming some parts to see how they look, using some white primer and hoping for the best.


Updat on my wing I had to sand sand fill and sand I think I made a complete mess of the wings thankfully it's only a cheap kit.

This is my first kit so I'm nervous yet experimental with different ideas.... hopefully it won't look too ugly cause I would still love to display it even if it's not a masterpiece it's still something I'm learning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cats, tigers, leopards and planes <3
jmatt
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by jmatt »

Watching... and good luck! :pop:

Btw, the Tamiya Fine spray primer is foolproof; love the stuff. Light coats with ample dry time between.
Chelsea
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by Chelsea »

Hi Jmatt

I'm well on my way now to building something yay

I've decided to modify a few things tho, I've decided to leave off the undercarriage and try and modify a cover so I can hang my model afterwards and also see if I got what it takes to modify things :)

I've decided to sand the primer lightly and attach more of the under the fuselage and I'm going to try and get slightly colour differences to show a kinda "used" weathered affect c:

Anyways I'll keep you posted and upload some more pics today
Last edited by Chelsea on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cats, tigers, leopards and planes <3
Chelsea
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by Chelsea »

Some progress yay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cats, tigers, leopards and planes <3
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by digger303 »

looking good.
A fine felt tiped or gel marker pen can be used to pre shade some area's. Not all though , just panel lines.

:th: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
Chelsea
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by Chelsea »

Hi thank you

I'm learning heaps n heaps, im learning about assembly process and preparation.

Some thing I've learned are to prime after the plane is together and also that some pieces are the same looking but slightly different

Pre shading looks awesome I can see that it will come through, I've done most of the shading uneven cause I think that it night look more normal.

I'm hoping to have something that resembles a plane by the weekend possibly have a coat of grey by Friday yippee
Cats, tigers, leopards and planes <3
Chelsea
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by Chelsea »

Some more progress photos, I decided that I wanted a cleaner look without undercarriage, it's incredibly hard to mark panels fit that aren't made for the job

Think I'm in too deep

Wishing I had the skills that that others
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cats, tigers, leopards and planes <3
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Chelsea's first build F-14A Tomcat

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Looking good :th:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
Post Reply

Return to “Jet Aircraft”