Page 1 of 1
Brushable clear coats
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:59 am
by Augustus
I know there's been many posts on clears but I'm not sure about brushable ones.
The reason I ask is when there's a break in the main model, waiting for paint to dry etc, I hand paint small stuff like details, stowage, cargo... and don't want to get the airbrush out for a clear coat and a good clean.
I use Aqua Gloss and AK's Ultra Matt for spraying and have used the AGloss for hand painting but wondered if there's a better alternative.
Cheers all!
Re: Brushable clear coats
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:07 am
by spock1701
You might want to try out using Vallejo Varnishes. I think that those are good for hand painting, and they're pretty inexpensive.
You could also get varnishes made for artists. Those can come pretty cheap on Amazon or at an art supply store and are designed for brushes.
Re: Brushable clear coats
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:04 am
by Cymru
Aqua Gloss brushes on small parts just fine.
Re: Brushable clear coats
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:27 am
by Augustus
Cymru wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:04 am
Aqua Gloss brushes on small parts just fine.
That's what I've been using so far but sometimes you have to be careful of pooling, I was just wondering if the was a better alternative.
Re: Brushable clear coats
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 am
by ElCapitan
I have brushed Vallejo varnishes over entire models and they work a treat. Just make sure to do really thin coats.
Re: Brushable clear coats
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm
by schweinhund227
ElCapitan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 am
I have brushed Vallejo varnishes over entire models and they work a treat.
Just make sure to do really thin coats.
That is the key right there !!! keep each coat thin and let cure before adding more layers of the stuff !
