Page 1 of 1
Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:38 pm
by RicRodrigues
Hi all!!!
New build started, as I needed something to keep my mojo flowing... A couple of weeks ago, went to a model show here in Dublin and stumbled on this kit that I was chasing since long time. Of course I had to bring it home and it went straight to the workbench!!! I've heard wonders about this kit, so this would be the perfect kit to keep my mojo!!!
20170510_151524 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
As I said, it went straight to the workbench. Seems a very good kit indeed, no major flaws, just some molding lines but nothing serious. Good detail and the instructions are decent. The painting call-outs are basic and it's up to the modeller to check for some reference photos in order to get a more realistic detail (specially for the interior). Decals are Cartograph, so should be a treat. I'm just a little bit disappointed with the decals placing diagram...
20170606_171740 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
The quality of the photos is not the best and the angles from where the photos were taken it doesn't make it very clear about the position of the decals. But I think I can live with that.
So,
box content photos!!!
Chassis, interior base and seats
20170510_151807 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Wheels, brakes, engine, transmission, suspension and exhaust
20170510_151753 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Doors inside panels, dashboard, rolling cage and interior parts
20170510_151724 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Chromed parts
20170510_151822 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Clear parts
20170510_151907 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
2 sets of tires (dirt/snow and tarmac)
20170510_151922 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Clear parts masks and seatbelts fabric
20170510_151931 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
PE and metallic logos
20170510_151958 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Decals
20170510_152015 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Body
20170510_152040 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170510_152051 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:31 pm
by RicRodrigues
As I decided to go for the Roger Clark version (the only one available), I tried to look for some reference photos in the web, specially for the interior... Nothing really special, until I found out this video...
[youtube]SOgYud4BakQ[/youtube]
(I'm so tempted to try to recreat the black tape on the door numbers!!!

)
Started straight away this build, full of mojo, so full of mojo that basically I couldn't wait for the coats of paint to dry properly... result? A funny look on the underside of the chassis!!! (some may call it "fisheye" effect, I'll call it "chipped paint" effect!!!

)
20170522_192411 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
The rest of the parts were primed and painted as well. I used Mr Metal Dark Iron (buffable) and Vallejo Metal Colour Aluminium and, being the first time using these paints, I'm very pleased how it turned out!
20170523_182643 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170523_182703 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170523_182712 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
The Interior parts were primed aswell using the Ultimate Black Primer. The instructions called for the whole interior to be painted in satin black, so I decided to leave it just with the primer. Looks good to me!!!! The dashboard, handbrake, gearshift, seats, driving wheel and all the other details are supposed to be in satin black as well. So, done!!! Just painted some details to add some color to the interior.
20170606_121916 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170606_121929 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170606_121938 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170606_122045 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170606_122226 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170606_122124 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
The doors inside panels were painted in white X2 and then the padded area inside this part was painted in Tamiya X18 Semigloss Black.
20170606_122059 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Dashboard and central console are painted in Ultimate black Primer and decaled. Decals went down with no trouble at all!!!
20170606_122304 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170606_122351 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Some more interior (nice) details are painted and ready to go!
20170606_122627 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
The wheels were primed with Ultimate Black Primer and painted with Vallejo Metal Colour Aluminium.
20170606_163413 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Started on the seatbelts as well!
20170606_122901 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170608_185417 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
And finally, the body was primed (Ultimate Black Primer). As I want to go for a shinning finish on this one, I've sanded and polished the primer to see how the paint will behave and what final result I'll have...
20170606_122447 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170606_122511 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170606_122502 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
As always, opinions and suggestions are welcome, feel free to comment!!!
Cheers!!!
Ricardo!!!
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:33 am
by exmoor
Looking good ricardo been wanting to do one of these with the engine rinsin set . Am with you on the chipping effect on the bottom had the same problem with a car am doing .
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:51 am
by gaz45
Great work there so far mate looks great.
The Ultimate black primer is great stuff I have a mig finished in just the primer
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:51 pm
by RicRodrigues
exmoor wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:33 am
Looking good ricardo been wanting to do one of these with the engine rinsin set . Am with you on the chipping effect on the bottom had the same problem with a car am doing .
Thanks!!! Should be an interesting project, to adapt an engine to this kit. If you're doing it, I'll be on the first row following it!! About the bottom, I know it does look a sloppy paintjob, but I really like the effect!! And if one likes it, Why not leave it like it is?!
gaz45 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:51 am
Great work there so far mate looks great.
The Ultimate black primer is great stuff I have a mig finished in just the primer
Thanks!!! I've seen some guys using Ultimate black primer as top coat, and as the instructions for the interior called for semi-gloss black and satin black, my thought was to leave it like this. And it looks good! I know, too dark and there's no colour contrast. But the interior of these cars (I still remember the old Ford Cortina my grandfather had) is just like this, black everywhere!! And even the reference video it shows a completely black interior. So black it is!!!
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 am
by MichaelsModels
Stupid Photobucket.
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:43 pm
by RicRodrigues
To be sorted on the next days!!!
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:54 pm
by Rallychef
Looking forward to catching up with this when you get the pic's sorted out again, just got back onto the forum, and looking to build this myself
regards ian D
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:05 pm
by RicRodrigues
Rallychef wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:54 pm
Looking forward to catching up with this when you get the pic's sorted out again, just got back onto the forum, and looking to build this myself
regards ian D
Links for the photos sorted!!!!
Photobucket, up yours!!! Flickr, you better not ruin this!!!
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:30 pm
by RicRodrigues
Now that the issues with the photos are sorted, time for an update!!!
I've been busy with some traveling around, so not much to show...
The interior is finished and assembled.
20170613_153012 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170613_153024 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170613_153043 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170613_153101 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170613_153130 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Instruments panel is finished as well.
20170613_153319 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
And with the anti-roll cage, door panels and instrument panel in place, the interior is complete!!!
20170619_124611 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170619_120701 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170619_120712 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170619_124636 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170619_124720 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
20170619_124837 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Oops, it's missing something!!!
20170712_152243 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Here, now it's done!!!
20170712_152257 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
The wheels got a proper rubber shoes!!!
20170619_120616 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
And the interior is attached to the chassis.
20170712_152310 by
Ricardo Rodrigues, on Flickr
Next on the bench: the body has received the first coat of paint (tamiya X2 white) that came out horrible; it was sanded and it's on the paint booth waiting for another coat of paint; the clear parts were masked and should be painted shortly.
As always, suggestions and opinions are welcome, feel free to comment!!!
Cheers!!!
Ricardo Rodrigues
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:08 pm
by exmoor
It's looking good to me nice work . Are you going to give it a gloss coat if so what are you going to use .reason for asking just building the mk2 and not to sure what to use has a gloss
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:35 pm
by RicRodrigues
exmoor wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:08 pm
It's looking good to me nice work . Are you going to give it a gloss coat if so what are you going to use .reason for asking just building the mk2 and not to sure what to use has a gloss
To the interior, you mean? It's glossed already, Alclad Aqua Gloss!!!
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:53 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Just catching up with this, some really nice work

Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:15 pm
by demarcation
Love this, great work mate!

Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:07 pm
by Johnj
Yip, love the all black !
Re: Belkits Ford Escort RS1600 MkI
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:38 pm
by RicRodrigues
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:53 pm
Just catching up with this, some really nice work
demarcation wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:15 pm
Love this, great work mate!
Cheers, guys!!!
Right now, I'm struggling to get a good paint job on the body, hopefully on the next days, I'll have the body decently painted and clear coated, ready for the decals. I guess the holidays and the busy period at work after the holidays just broke my mojo a little bit... Maybe a new project will help me to get that mojo back!!!