Page 1 of 1

Airfix 1/72 Avro Vulcan B Mk2

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:23 pm
by 1975GinjaNinja
Always liked this aircraft and even remember building this kit when I was a youngster, think I was around 17 years old so almost 25 years ago.
Before anyone says - I know this is a very poor/old kit with raised panel lines and all that snizzle but it was only £15 in the shop so I thought why not?
Here is a stock photo of the box:

Image

Opening it I was shocked at how poor the plastic is there is flash everywhere and even the fuselage halves are twisted out of shape.

I am not planning on building XH558 as shown in the kit but instead I want to try and convert it to XL317 of No. 617 Sqn, RAF Scampton 1963 in its all over antiflash white scheme and low visibilty markings (if thats the correct term). To help achieve this I purchased the decal set from Print Scale:

Image

Image

Just getting to grips with Flickr so more to follow shortly.

Cheers

Nige

Re: Airfix 1/72 Avro Vulcan B Mk2

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:26 pm
by Cymru
Go for it, no shame, it can be made in to a tidy model :) ......... :pop:

Re: Airfix 1/72 Avro Vulcan B Mk2

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:09 pm
by 1975GinjaNinja
Well I have been re scribing the raised panel lines for a couple of weeks now - lots of scribing and sanding. But thanks to the Funtec scribers from Ultimate its not been too bad just an awful lot of lines to redo.

Re: Airfix 1/72 Avro Vulcan B Mk2

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 pm
by 1975GinjaNinja
Still playing catch up on getting this lot posted to the forum as I have been a bit lazy recently and relied too heavily on the facebook page.
Anyways trying to remember the order I did things. The first thing I attempted to tackle was the infamous seam in the engine intakes. I know you can buy after market seamless ones but I thought I would attempt to improve my basic modelling skills by sorting this out myself.

So after gluing the things together I set about filling the huge seams with a variety of putties etc and sanding, and filling, and sanding. In the end I found that the Humbrol model filler was very handy for this as could be sanded back very easily. I used this to fill the worst of the seam and then primed using Ultimate black primer as I find I can see the faults better in black. I then moved onto using 'finer' filling products like delux materials plastic putty and finally mr surface. This was a very time consuming process and has set the feel for this build - a black hole for time. The hardest bit of the intakes is the shape for sanding and getting the filler in. I found that Ultimate thinny sticks where the best for the job.

Anyways I think I solved most of the issue of the seam:

Image

Apologies for the wet paint

Cheers for looking

Nige