New work desk for more comfort... :)
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 am
Hi all!
As the title already anticipates, I'm thinking on building a new work desk.
This is my current workspace:

Ummm... the left side...
So I have a screen, a laptop underneath (which also serves as a storage area for WIP projects), a shelf over the screen for thinners, cleaners, primers transparent paints, and a work area packed with keyboard, mouse, glue and paints.
The right side is normally used by my wife, and it looks mostly like this...
From the other side it looks like this:

Here you can see 2 home made shelves build into the desk, where originally my desktop PC was. These shelves are pretty deep, can store a lot, but it is hard to reach the end. In the upper one I store my tools. Files, knifes, scissors, sidecutters, masking tapes, drillbits, brushes, absolute chaos.
In the lower one are my Revell (most of which are getting old), and some other paints, and the washes, pigments in the back (I have some more paints in an other drawer elsewhere). Underneath is my compressor. And basically that's all.
I don't like this desk, because:
- the screen is not in front of me, but slightly to the left
- the desk is too high, isn't too comfortable for my arms and back
- there is a big drawer on the lower right, which cannot be fully exploited, it's just too deep (you won't access things on the bottom without grinding through the upper layers)
- the cupboard on the upper right is not ideal either, not deep enough, and has only 1 shelf
- light options are poor
- screen is too high, bad for my neck
- it is too deep for this small room (there is a lot of unused space between my legs and the wall)
- compressor is on the left, and I'm right handed, and I have no brush holder
So I firedup my SketchUp, and started to measure and draw lines here and there, and ended up with this:

The right section is basically for my wife, but I'll occupy some place for sure.

The screen is now in front of me, the desk got lower, drawer has been split up into 2, cupboard replaced by shelves and small drawers, 3 light were placed into the upper section.

I designed 6 small drawers to the lower left to hold my tools, spare parts, masking tapes, clamps, putties.
I also plan to have a holder underneath the desk for the laptop and keyboard.
Top left would have a vertical storage area, where I can store some paper (color schemes, sketches, instructions for the current projects) and sprues, so they won't lay around while I build a kit. I have no plans for the rest of this top left area. Any suggestion?
The middle section will be interesting. That big gray box is a placeholder of some kind of fume extractor. Most likely I'll build my own, but the dimensions are 15cm deep, 55 cm wide, around 50 cm high. The screen will be placed on some kind of rail system. The idea is to raise the screen up when painting, like this:

Behind the screen there will be a modular storage system. I plan to use french cleats and custom shelves to hold most of my primers, paints and thinners.
Questions to be answered before I can close the planning phase:
- how to use the remaining of the upper left section
- where to put the compressor (current answer: next to my legs)
- what kind of shelves to design for the modular system
- how to do the mounting and railing for the screen
- how should the fume extractor look like
I would really appreciate if you could share your ideas, experiences with me. Thank you in advance!
I'll put some more details on the fume extractor plans, railing, shelves later, but now I have to work a bit, and produce some GDP...
Cheers!
Attila
As the title already anticipates, I'm thinking on building a new work desk.
This is my current workspace:

Ummm... the left side...
The right side is normally used by my wife, and it looks mostly like this...
From the other side it looks like this:

Here you can see 2 home made shelves build into the desk, where originally my desktop PC was. These shelves are pretty deep, can store a lot, but it is hard to reach the end. In the upper one I store my tools. Files, knifes, scissors, sidecutters, masking tapes, drillbits, brushes, absolute chaos.
I don't like this desk, because:
- the screen is not in front of me, but slightly to the left
- the desk is too high, isn't too comfortable for my arms and back
- there is a big drawer on the lower right, which cannot be fully exploited, it's just too deep (you won't access things on the bottom without grinding through the upper layers)
- the cupboard on the upper right is not ideal either, not deep enough, and has only 1 shelf
- light options are poor
- screen is too high, bad for my neck
- it is too deep for this small room (there is a lot of unused space between my legs and the wall)
- compressor is on the left, and I'm right handed, and I have no brush holder
So I firedup my SketchUp, and started to measure and draw lines here and there, and ended up with this:

The right section is basically for my wife, but I'll occupy some place for sure.

The screen is now in front of me, the desk got lower, drawer has been split up into 2, cupboard replaced by shelves and small drawers, 3 light were placed into the upper section.

I designed 6 small drawers to the lower left to hold my tools, spare parts, masking tapes, clamps, putties.
I also plan to have a holder underneath the desk for the laptop and keyboard.
Top left would have a vertical storage area, where I can store some paper (color schemes, sketches, instructions for the current projects) and sprues, so they won't lay around while I build a kit. I have no plans for the rest of this top left area. Any suggestion?
The middle section will be interesting. That big gray box is a placeholder of some kind of fume extractor. Most likely I'll build my own, but the dimensions are 15cm deep, 55 cm wide, around 50 cm high. The screen will be placed on some kind of rail system. The idea is to raise the screen up when painting, like this:

Behind the screen there will be a modular storage system. I plan to use french cleats and custom shelves to hold most of my primers, paints and thinners.
Questions to be answered before I can close the planning phase:
- how to use the remaining of the upper left section
- where to put the compressor (current answer: next to my legs)
- what kind of shelves to design for the modular system
- how to do the mounting and railing for the screen
- how should the fume extractor look like
I would really appreciate if you could share your ideas, experiences with me. Thank you in advance!
I'll put some more details on the fume extractor plans, railing, shelves later, but now I have to work a bit, and produce some GDP...
Cheers!
Attila


