Page 1 of 1

MPC 1960 Corvette

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:15 pm
by bfrd
Scalemate link to model

I am attempting a dark red candy color. Here is the paint for the body.
Image

The first thing I did was to spray a white (not pictured came in later) AlcladII primer and then the Pearl White for the scoop portion. It is hard to tell in the pictures, but the pearl does look nice (to me anyway).
Image
Image

I had a bit of trouble with the black primer. Shooting much closer seems to have fixed the rough dusty texture I got on the first go round. I just sanded down and s(prayed).
Image

After that dried I did a paper towel buff and wipe down before the Bright Silver Candy Base went on. I was expecting it to spray like the primer, it didn't. I had to wipe off the hood and re-spray. Again I got pretty close and just did my best to get an even coat in one pass.
Image
Image
Image

The base coat has a nice sheen to it. I can't wait to see the color coat go down. I wanted to give the base coat about 24 hours to dry. I may give it a light buffing as well. The coverage seems good, I don't think I need a second coat.

Re: MPC 1960 Corvette

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
:pop:

Re: MPC 1960 Corvette

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:59 am
by bfrd
It's official! I don't know what I am doing...
My red car is purple.
Image
Image

This is after the second coat of color. It is certainly better than with just the first coat. I will put another color layer down today. It also attracts lint like a magnet.

Re: MPC 1960 Corvette

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:34 am
by bfrd
Had a bit of a setback.
Image

Not sure if the body is recoverable. I think a burglar must have broken into our house after the third coat of color and left nasty finger prints all over the body. I swear that burglars just don't respect the added time that lacquer needs to dry before touching.

I think I am going to put this aside and focus on my Feline Fever entry.

Re: MPC 1960 Corvette

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:07 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Oh dude, I feel your pain
You have a bit of sanding and rescribing, but with a bit of elbow grease I bet you can salvage it
That was definitely a candy purple and not red...even in the bottle it looks that way

I am awful at getting fingerprints on my paint
Lately I have been painting and then shoving the subject into a closed cabinet. The idea was to keep dust off, but the best thing is it keeps me from messing with it...often I take a glimpse anyways, but I am getting better especially if I paint at night and then go to bed.

Re: MPC 1960 Corvette

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:45 pm
by bfrd
I am afraid this model has passed away. I was hopeful that I could get it stripped without damage, but I could not. The paint was easy enough to remove but the plastic has softened to the point of no return. Since the kit was really cheap it wasn't worth trying to get a replacement body. So I just picked up a different model ('58 which I like better anyway).

Since the color wasn't what I wanted to begin with I may go with the lighter red and see how that turns out. I will be using a piece of sheet styrene first to make sure I like the color.