Page 1 of 1

1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:44 am
by T3hGuppy
Right so I'm feeling confident in my skills I want do a bomber in 1/48

Just wanted some advice on what kits to get.

Is their any to avoid at all costs?

And has anyone done a kit they would recommend.

Lancaster and B17 are what id like to do but open to anything ww2 really.

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:12 am
by coladito1
Havent done one myself but if you are really interested and can afford it, the tamiya Lancaster would be my first pick. I heard wonders about it.

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:38 am
by Nige201980
Guppy Lenny did a review on the Lancaster the other day looks a great kit.

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:58 am
by T3hGuppy
I must have missed that vid Ill go have a look.

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 am
by Gav0909
You could do Revells 1/32 He111? Its big, but its *only* £60 (possibly cheaper if you look around) for a model that ends up more or less the same size as the 1/24 Mossie! Whereas the Tamiya 1/48 Lanc will likely cost you more than £60. I believe someone did a 1/48 B29 once as well (possibly Tamiya again...).

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:36 am
by Johni044
Gav0909 wrote:I believe someone did a 1/48 B29 once as well (possibly Tamiya again...).
I think that would be Monogram.

You can pick up a Revell (ex Monogram) Fortress or Liberator on E Bay normally £20-£30 they are kits if their time and TBH the recent 1:72 Revell B17 has more detail in it than the 1:48 Memphis Belle I picked up last year. If you want a Lanc I doubt you would do any better than the Tamiya kit but it is a bit pricey.

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:11 pm
by T3hGuppy
Cheers guys.

Cash isn't too much of an issue,

Might have to pick up the Tamiya Lanc first and go from their.

But does need to be 1/48. As I'm concentrating on this scale for Aircraft and 1/32 is way to big for me.

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:00 pm
by Paul
T3hGuppy wrote:Cheers guys.

Cash isn't too much of an issue,

Might have to pick up the Tamiya Lanc first and go from their.

But does need to be 1/48. As I'm concentrating on this scale for Aircraft and 1/32 is way to big for me.
Look forward to seeing that come together, it'll be a fair size in 1/48 :th:

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:18 pm
by schweinhund227
coladito1 wrote:Havent done one myself but if you are really interested and can afford it, the tamiya Lancaster would be my first pick. I heard wonders about it.
Same here..... that lancaster is a sweet machine !!! but at 200$ its outside my comfort zone ! (right now)
but I have seen it build and its Awesome !
some even come with electric motors for the props... That's Just nuts. !

The old monogram or Revell B-17 I don't remember if they retooled the old molds ?? last I recall they were RAISED surface details ??

Good luck ! as those are very interesting models !!! should be a fun ride !

Norm. :dance:

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 pm
by Colin
I used to own the Tamiya 1/48 Lanc ... one thing to note about it is its a pretty old Tamiya kit dating back to 1975 apparently and not up the engineering quality of their newer kits, the latest 2009 release of the B III version does have some new tool parts with scribed panel lines as I understand so try and look for one of those if you're buying second hand but I think its still mostly a raised panel line job with all the problems associated with that, I dont know if you would want to to re-scribe but that would be a major undertaking I'd not want to do :)

But as mentioned it can look stunning built up by a skilled to fair modeller that I'm sure you are :th: I think the newer release has pre painted canopy framing too? so to keep that you would likely need to use Tamiya paints to match that (Earth and Green).

The Trumpeter Wellington is a fairly good kit if you want a WW2 British Bomber in 1/48 but as mentioned the Revell 1/32 HE-111 and JU-88 are really well detailed out of the box and can be had not too expensive on the Bay from time to time ... I really hope Revell produce a new tool Mosquito and Beaufighter in their 1/32 WW2 range, they have a great formula going with recent releases in this scale.

For what its worth I try to concentrate on 1/32 for Aircraft these days and once had a massive stash in 1/48 that I've mostly sold off including the Lanc but have recently bought 2 new tool 1/72 Revell Lancs (a B III and a Dambuster) and was surprised at the quality of them, they really are awesome, picked up an Academy 1/72 B-17 recently too and it looks real nice, I need to be really careful on size of kits these days as I'm fast running out of display space already and after several stash prunes over the years really dont want to part with any more, would have loved that 1/32 HK B-17 but reluctantly saying no.

:cheers2:

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:16 pm
by Daishi12
I know it's not strictly a bomber, but a bomber destroyer, but how about the Revell 1/48 Mistel (Ta154/Fw190)?

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:29 pm
by T3hGuppy
Some great ideas guys.

Will most likely do them all in the end lol.

Pretty much decided on the Tamiya Lancaster but will be going all out on it with after market and will not be a quick build lol.

To be continued..... :shhh:

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:41 pm
by schweinhund227
:banana: :thumb2:

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:23 pm
by Coen
:th: :th: :banana: :banana: :thumb1: :thumb1:
That I'll be looking forward to.
I was looking around at a few bombers lately myself.
It's for a ways down the road... next year maybe. 1/32 definitely.
British for sure.
I hope that you do a build log buddy. I'd look forward to seeing it.

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:35 pm
by T3hGuppy
Coen wrote::th: :th: :banana: :banana: :thumb1: :thumb1:
That I'll be looking forward to.
I was looking around at a few bombers lately myself.
It's for a ways down the road... next year maybe. 1/32 definitely.
British for sure.
I hope that you do a build log buddy. I'd look forward to seeing it.
Sure will I really enjoy doing the build logs and people seem to like them too.

:th:

Re: 1/48 scale Lancaster and B17

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:13 pm
by Coen
Yup... bring it on as they say!!!