Page 1 of 2
Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:21 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Here's my entry for this GB it's Meng's Leopard 2 A4.

I remember well the first time I saw one of these Leopard 2's it was a wow moment

to me it was the first of the modern type tanks to appear, fast, packed with great technology and looks the business

.
Development of the Leopard 2 main battle tank began in 1970. In those days a clash between NATO and the Warsaw Pact was possible and the German Army needed a well protected MBT, which was superior to the models introduced in the Eastern Block. The first prototypes of the Leopard 2 were completed in 1972. In 1977 Bundeswehr initially ordered 1 800 of these main battle tanks to replace the Leopard 1. First production batch of 30 tanks was completed in 1979 and the Leopard 2 was adopted by the German Army the same year. At the time of its introduction the Leopard 2 was a very advanced and successful design, by 1993 German Army operated a total of 2 155 of these MBTs. This vehicle was also exported worldwide, Export operators are Netherlands (445 tanks), Poland, Switzerland (380 tanks, known as the Pz.87), Sweden (160), Spain (650), Turkey and some other countries.
Fire control system, armament, ammunition, transmission and tracks of the Leopard 2 are similar to the US M1 Abrams main battle tank, to simplify maintenance. This MBT has a welded hull and turret, composite armour of the Leopard 2 tank is similar to British Chobham. It offers good protection against armour-piercing rounds and ATGWs. Vehicle is fitted with NBC protection system and automatic fire suppression systems. The Leopard 2 main battle tank is armed with a fully-stabilized Rheinmetall RH-M-120 120-mm smooth bore gun. Vehicle carries 42 rounds for the main gun. 15 rounds are stored in the turret bustle, while the rest are carried in front of the hull. The turret bustle is separated from the fighting compartment and has a blow-out panels. The Leopard 2 normally uses two types of ammunition - the APFSDS-T and HEAT-MP-T rounds. The APFSDS-T round penetrates around 450 mm of rolled homogeneous armour equivalency at 2 000 m range. Since its introduction some generations of APFSDS-T rounds were developed and used by the German Army. Germans estimated that their Leopard 2 tank could penetrate frontal armour of the Soviet T-72 tank at a range of 2 000 meters and frontal armour of the T-62 tank at a range of over 4 000 meters. The HEAT-MP-T round is effective against both soft and hard targets.
Secondary armament consists of two 7.62 mm machine guns. One of them is coaxial, while another is mounted on top of the roof.
The Leopard-2 has a crew of four, including commander, gunner, loader and driver. One interesting feature about this main battle tank, that it has an escape hatch in the floor behind the driver. This main battle tank has a crew of four, including commander, gunner, loader and driver.
Vehicle is powered by MB-837 Ka501 turbocharged diesel engine, developing 1 500 horsepower. The Leopard 2 can be fitted with a deep wading kit. After preparation it can ford water obstacles up to 4 m deep.
Variants
Leopard 2A1, has improved armor protection. A number of components were improved in order to make them more reliable;
Leopard 2A2, fitted with improved sights;
Leopard 2A3, fitted with improved communications equipment and improved parking brake;
Leopard 2A4, fitted with new digital fire control system and improved turret with more armour, it was the most widespread version of this tank.
Its production commenced in 1985 and ceased in 1992. All the previous models were upgraded to this standard. It was produced in Switzerland under license as the Pz 87. It looks like the Leopard 2A4 saw its first combat debut in 2016 during Turkish operation in Syria, a number of these tanks were lost to anti-tank guided missiles, Leopard 2A5 and Leopard 2A6 are radically improved versions, Leopard 2A7 a proposed upgrade package for existing MBTs, which includes additional armour, additional cameras for long-range surveillance, advanced command and control equipment and some other improvements.
Bundeswehr plans to upgrade about 50 - 150 Leopard tanks to the 2A7 standard. Leopard 2 PSO, a version optimised for urban and peacekeeping operations. It was developed as a private venture, this MBT has increased protection against IEDs and RPGs;

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 pm
by Tomcat64
Another nice looking kit from Meng.
Looking forward to seeing how you turn this one out Kev

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:58 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:56 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:16 pm
by pourquoi61
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 pm
by schweinhund227
keep up the good work !

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:01 pm
by Kevthemodeller
schweinhund227 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 pm
keep up the good work !

guys
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:27 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm
by xSCAR45
Tracks by Meng have always turned me off to actually buying a Meng kit. Most, if not all Meng kits have tracks like the one you're building. I suppose I just don't have the patience for them.
Good luck on your build! Keep up the tedious work.

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 pm
by Kevthemodeller
xSCAR45 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm
Tracks by Meng have always turned me off to actually buying a Meng kit. Most, if not all Meng kits have tracks like the one you're building. I suppose I just don't have the patience for them.
Good luck on your build! Keep up the tedious work.

I wouldn't they're tricky but once you get the hang of them really quite quick, I assembled the second track in half the time

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:04 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Today's up date. Tracks are all assembled as I said above tricky but they do make very good working tracks

they're are certainly no worse the to assemble and like almost as good as Friul I'd say they just don't have the weight.

Starting on the upper hull

The flashing around inject pins is pretty much everywhere, I'm thinking either they're rushing things, changing styrene composition (cost cutting) or the moulds are wearing!

The two hulls are now joined, but the fit wasn't good, the upper was twisted and bowed

I had to start gluing from the front glacis plate down each side to the rear in 1 cm segments

I'm finding the styrene to be very brittle/hard compared to Tamiya, Academy, not too impressed with the fit either look at the the hull/to rear join

And here at the rear right corner, this was after about an hour and loads of holding,

I have to say even though the detail moulding is very good the fit isn't that great, I do hope this is just a "friday" kit I've got 5 other Meng kits in my stash

It's not they're really bad I wasn't expecting these issues, nothing I've read in any review has mentioned fit issues.
I'm still enjoying the build

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:30 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:21 pm
by xSCAR45
Hmm... interesting.
I don't believe I've heard anything about fit issues or flash with Meng kits. You would think with the price tag Meng would have better quality control. Hopefully the worst is over and you just got a bad kit by them. I would be pissed off if I bought five Meng kits and they all had problems.
Hope your build gets better.

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 am
by Tomcat64
Nice progress Kev and pub lunch looks like a damn good options with all that flash - again this is the first time I've seen anyone encounter this with a Meng kit.
Keep at it mate.
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:01 am
by Kevthemodeller
xSCAR45 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:21 pm
Hmm... interesting.
I don't believe I've heard anything about fit issues or flash with Meng kits. You would think with the price tag Meng would have better quality control. Hopefully the worst is over and you just got a bad kit by them. I would be pissed off if I bought five Meng kits and they all had problems.
Hope your build gets better.

Many thanks, yes you're right that's what so surprising
Tomcat64 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 am
Nice progress Kev and pub lunch looks like a damn good options with all that flash - again this is the first time I've seen anyone encounter this with a Meng kit.
Keep at it mate.
Hi Tom
Yes I'm very surprised as I've said, I'm also finding the styrene to be very brittle/hard compared to Tamiya, Academy. If you look at the water guard to the left of the drivers hatch right hand end, I bent it almost snapped it while dressing up the spure joins, I gently caught the end and it almost bent in half

it's got very very little give. If that was Tamiya, Academy it would have just sprang back, it also not easy to glue, using Tamiya's extra thin and even quick setting you still have to hold it for some seconds it just so resistant. It's not what I was expecting form a Meng kit, maybe as I've said I've got a Fri afternoon kit or one that should have been rejected, perhaps it's just this kit.
I hope so as I've got 5 others

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:16 am
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:12 am
by Kevthemodeller
Up date from last evenings bench time

Front side armour

The barrel, I do like these RB barrels and they're cheaper than others

Mantlet

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:37 pm
by SergioSolo
I built Meng's Leopard 1 A5 and have no complaints, except for their awful tow cables... You're doing a great job, btw! The new barrel looks sweet
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:24 pm
by Kevthemodeller
SergioSolo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:37 pm
I built Meng's Leopard 1 A5 and have no complaints, except for their awful tow cables... You're doing a great job, btw! The new barrel looks sweet
Thank you, it does seem odd my kit has these issues as they have great write ups. I did find reference to the plastic in a review I was reading yesterday and this plastic is very different from the other kits I've built. The tow ropes.........

really are bottom draw, luckily and I'd forgot I'd bought some Eureka XXL ones for the build

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:43 am
by Tomcat64
Nice work Kev - the PE on the rear deck really looks the business as does the gun barrel.
Shame about the continuing flash saga but great perseverance and it looks like it'll pay off.
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm
by schweinhund227
What Flash are you talking about?
none the less! most excellent details on that new gun!
what was the problem with the original gun; If I may ask?

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 pm
by Kevthemodeller
schweinhund227 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm
What Flash are you talking about?
none the less! most excellent details on that new gun!
what was the problem with the original gun; If I may ask?

Flash is the plastic left behind from the moulding process, it's plain to see in the pictures with this kit its all mostly around the ejection pin marks.
The barrel in the kit is in 2 half's which means a lot of careful sanding etc and the detail isn't as good as with after market (AM). There's nothing wrong with the kit barrel just not as good as AM.
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 pm
by pourquoi61
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:46 am
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:14 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:10 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Its been a very busy week but I've got the primer on

I thought I'd try grey this time and I'm thinking about white highlights

.

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:43 pm
by Tomcat64
Looking great Kev - nice work on the turret

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:01 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Tomcat64 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:43 pm
Looking great Kev - nice work on the turret

Thanks mate
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:32 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 pm
by Stokesy44
At least you know its not you. And that camo looks pretty smart, once you get into the weathering I reckon it will look better still.
Its such a pisser when a product you've paid for doesn't do its job. Massively frustrating and I feel your pain.

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:36 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Thanks mate
I was really beginning to doubt not only myself but the H&S airbrush
I've had the same issue with other Ammo colours too, but thought it was H & S I just couldn't get it to work very hit and miss, I've really got fed up over the past few months, thinking it was me and I'd wasted my money on what is a quality air brush
Only to find out it the bloody paint

I'm really disappointed if I'm honest, I love this hobby really got back into it only to find out it looks like I've chosen the wrong paint and wasted money

Luckily for me it's not really an issue money wise and we're only talking couple hundred £, but I'm not that flush not to be bothered or think about someone not so lucky as me. I'm thinking of writing to Ammo seeing what they say, as it's really not good enough, their issues are well known (just check this forum) about. Very disappointed

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:13 pm
by Stokesy44
That's a nasty hit to take but now you can see your way through it so that's something.
I really like Tamiya and so does my H&S. Mr Hobby too. Vallejo is nice but I find masking it scare's the s**** out of me.

If Tamiya and Mr Hobby were women, I'd marry them!
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:21 pm
by papatika
Kevthemodeller wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:36 pm
Thanks mate
I was really beginning to doubt not only myself but the H&S airbrush
I've had the same issue with other Ammo colours too, but thought it was H & S I just couldn't get it to work very hit and miss, I've really got fed up over the past few months, thinking it was me and I'd wasted my money on what is a quality air brush
Only to find out it the bloody paint

I'm really disappointed if I'm honest, I love this hobby really got back into it only to find out it looks like I've chosen the wrong paint and wasted money

Luckily for me it's not really an issue money wise and we're only talking couple hundred £, but I'm not that flush not to be bothered or think about someone not so lucky as me. I'm thinking of writing to Ammo seeing what they say, as it's really not good enough, their issues are well known (just check this forum) about. Very disappointed
I also have problems with Ammo paint using in airbrush. Not all of them, but most of them. I'm sure they are great paints, but just does not fit my painting style. I like it for detail painting, with brush.
Tamiya and Mr.Color is my way to go, but I'm really curious about the new Mission Models paints, unfortunately there is no official distributor yet in Hungary.
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:04 am
by xSCAR45
Excellent paint job Kev. Looking forward to the weathering.
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:03 am
by Tomcat64
I haven't tried the Ammo paints but had similar problems with ScaleColor - some worked fine, and yet others just seemed to be a pot of pure pigment and needed thinning to hell before they even thought of going through the airbrush.
Anyway - great perseverance mate and a very nice result in the end

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 am
by Kevthemodeller
papatika wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:21 pm
I also have problems with Ammo paint using in airbrush. Not all of them, but most of them. I'm sure they are great paints, but just does not fit my painting style. I like it for detail painting, with brush.
Tamiya and Mr.Color is my way to go, but I'm really curious about the new Mission Models paints, unfortunately there is no official distributor yet in Hungary.
I do like them you have to apply them in very light coats and they're fine
But like you it appears some just won't no matter what you do, I'm thinking perhaps they did have a problem and I've got old stock the effected stock and Ammo didn't recall or the shops I've bough it from didn't return it

I've contacted Ammo this morning to see what they have to say!
xSCAR45 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:04 am
Excellent paint job Kev. Looking forward to the weathering.
Thanks mate, just wish it wasn't such a struggle

it shouldn't be
Tomcat64 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:03 am
I haven't tried the Ammo paints but had similar problems with ScaleColor - some worked fine, and yet others just seemed to be a pot of pure pigment and needed thinning to hell before they even thought of going through the airbrush.
Anyway - great perseverance mate and a very nice result in the end

Like I said it's not all just a few thus far, but it shouldn't be happening, I'm beating on old stock that they've either not owned up to or suppliers didn't return. I've supplied the batch No's to Ammo, be interesting what if anything they say, if they don't respond I for one will just bin the ones I've had trouble with and replace with Vallejo/Tamiya and those that work just replace as they run out with Vallejo/Tamiya.
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:50 pm
by Quax
take heart though Kev, despite all the trials and tribulations you've experienced it does look great!

remember the paint that doesn't kill us makes us stronger!
cheers
Paul
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:12 pm
by schweinhund227
Nice work thus far ! Keep it up ! almost there
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:29 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Quax wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:50 pm
take heart though Kev, despite all the trials and tribulations you've experienced it does look great!

remember the paint that doesn't kill us makes us stronger!
cheers
Paul

Paul, I'm just a bit annoyed they can't not know about it now can they

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:48 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:53 pm
by Stokesy44
Looks superb mate. Lovely colours and decs.
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:50 pm
by TommyKillander
Great job, looks awesome !
Love the tracks
Tommy
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:13 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Stokesy44 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:53 pm
Looks superb mate. Lovely colours and decs.
TommyKillander wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:50 pm
Great job, looks awesome !
Love the tracks
Tommy
Thanks guys, I'm learning all the time loving every minute

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:29 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
by Quax
Terrific job Kev, you've nailed it with that dot filter!
Paul
Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 am
by Stokesy44
Nice one Kev, really like the filter work. What did you think when you were applying it?
Like the mud effects too, especially the splatter effects. I'm yet to try that but its on my list.

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:50 am
by Kevthemodeller
Stokesy44 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 am
Nice one Kev, really like the filter work. What did you think when you were applying it?
I thought at first I'd over done it, as it looked really dark. As it dried off it was actually not enough, although the dust effect oil is very powerful I had to tone that down. Overall I like it not sure I'd need to do it all the time as other weather products get you the same results.
Stokesy44 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 am
Like the mud effects too, especially the splatter effects. I'm yet to try that but its on my list.

Thanks mate. I did a couple first on this to, I dusted with acrylic paint first, then used an airbrush to apply the mud. I stopped that almost straight away just found it all too difficult to get the effect where and in the right amounts, went back to the old cocktail stick

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:41 pm
by Tomcat64
Stunning work Kev - really well done mate! That's hit just the right balance of subtle but effective!

Re: Meng Leopard 2 A4
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:01 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Tomcat64 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:41 pm
Stunning work Kev - really well done mate! That's hit just the right balance of subtle but effective!

Thanks mate

still some way to go but almost there.