Page 1 of 1
Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:42 am
by aur0ra145
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 am
by aur0ra145
Got the bits prepped and primed in Ultimate Black.

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:47 pm
by xSCAR45
A lot of German WWII air being built.
Looks like you have this one just about finished. I'm looking forward to the painting!
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:45 am
by Vindicare
ho god you are way ahead then my build of the same kit
sooo how did you tackle the radiators on the engine and the ones below the wings (are those radiators?)?
instructions says to paint them aluminium, did you mask the wing ones in any way?
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:34 pm
by aur0ra145
Vindicare wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:45 am
ho god you are way ahead then my build of the same kit
sooo how did you tackle the radiators on the engine and the ones below the wings (are those radiators?)?
instructions says to paint them aluminium, did you mask the wing ones in any way?
I just sprayed the thing RLM 65. I'll get pictures up.
So for the radiators. I'm just going to leave them black and over spray with RLM 65. Then, use pigments to give a depth effect. But, if it turns out bad, I'll just not care. lol.
For the engine panel you were worrying about in your thread. I just white ticky tac'd the cowl on for painting. After its said and done I'll go back and paint engine and machine guns.
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:07 pm
by Vindicare
For the engine panel you were worrying about in your thread. I just white ticky tac'd the cowl on for painting. After its said and done I'll go back and paint engine and machine guns.
thats an awesome ideia!
sadly my panel is now glued already

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:07 am
by aur0ra145
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 pm
by Vindicare
hoooo the masking went very well! its looking splendid!
so you did hard edges ... i never know when to use hard or soft edges
anyone know a good luftwaffe reference about camouflage and painting in general?
so you painted the lighter green first, did new masks and painted the darker one over it right?
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:15 pm
by aur0ra145
Vindicare wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 pm
hoooo the masking went very well! its looking splendid!
so you did hard edges ... i never know when to use hard or soft edges
anyone know a good luftwaffe reference about camouflage and painting in general?
so you painted the lighter green first, did new masks and painted the darker one over it right?
Thank you!
Usually my masking layers leak a bit, so I'm happy this one went well.
I used hard edges as that was what the instructions tended to look like. I've seen them painted all different ways. As a rule though, I usually default to soft edges except when it's very apparent they need to be hard.
As for references, I don't know if I can help you. I just went with how the instructions went. I didn't do much research on this subject, other to ensure it would have been a candidate for the Battle of Brittan. (I have a BoB-era Spitfire I wanted to display it with.)
Yes, I painted the lighter color first. Masked, then the darker color. I always spray lighter color first then build darker ones on top of them (if required.) I always feel its easier to darken something than to lighten it up.
Colors used was RLM 65 (MM Hellblau RLM65 (SG) 4778) for the blue parts, then the darker RLM 71 (MM Dunkelgrun RLM 71 4781) over the lighter RLM 02 (Vallejo Model Air 71.044 RLM02 Grau.)
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:28 am
by aur0ra145
And it's done.
I'll get more pictures up tomorrow.

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:39 pm
by SergioSolo
Excellent paint job! Looking forward to seeing more pictures

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 pm
by aur0ra145
Decals went on pretty well. I did use a ton of setting solution for this one. I might have not quite sealed in the paint with Aquagloss as much as I thought. Some paint looks to have been eaten by the setting solution. Weird, I've never had it this pronounced before. However, after a ton of MM Semi-gloss lacquer, I think it looks good.
I used Vallejo pigments to give some mild weathering. This is from early war (circa 1940) so it couldn't have been that dirty? Right?
I will take a moment to complain. I think the Model Master RLM 71 is incorrect. I can't quantify it in any way; but, it just looks much more gray than green (which it's supposed to be.) Especially if I were to mottle the sides. It would look weird.
In the future I will try the Vallejo Model Air RLM 71. Additonally, the RLM 65 Blue color seemed a bit too blue. It pops out at you much more than I would have expected. Again, I'll give Vallejo Model Air RLM 65 a go next time.
Overall I'm very happy with it. Just about 2 weeks build time and very few fit issues if any.

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:38 pm
by aur0ra145
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm
by Vindicare
hey aur0ra145 what a fine Emil mate!
i'm using vallejo paints on mine so i hope you will be able to compare the colours.
i hope because i'm trying some new stuff on this build and disaster may strike at any moment

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Bf-109 E-3
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:46 am
by aur0ra145
Vindicare wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm
hey aur0ra145 what a fine Emil mate!
i'm using vallejo paints on mine so i hope you will be able to compare the colours.
i hope because i'm trying some new stuff on this build and disaster may strike at any moment
I'm very interested to see how your paint comes out. I'm sure yours will come out excellent!
