Revell 1:24 Mercedes AMG GT

Cars, trucks and bikes
Post Reply
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Revell 1:24 Mercedes AMG GT

Post by bfrd »

Image

I am building this one for a friend. Due to my entries in the group builds I won't be able to fully document this one. But I thought I would at least snap a couple of pictures.

The body went together fairly well. I deleted the seam lines with CA glue. Didn't come out perfect, but I am happy with the way it looks so far.

I primed in Badger/Ultimate gray.
Image

I am painting the car in Blue from Zero Paints. It isn't quite the blue I wanted, but I had to pick from what was available from the US distributor.
Image
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Revell 1:24 Mercedes AMG GT

Post by bfrd »

I made a little more progress, but going very slowly.

I masked off the rear diffuser and painted it black. I let it dry for approximately 30 seconds before removing the tape. I just love that part!
Image

I then moved on to putting the carbon fiber decal on the roof. I used a 1:24 scale weave decal from Scale Motorsport. I used a little MicroSet on the paint (no gloss). Being a compound curve it took a little working but eventually laid down flat. I see a weird line in the picture that I don't see in person, could be a reflection of something.
Image

Next up is a few more decals and my first try with a multi-part clear coat. Should be interesting (or sad).
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
exmoor
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 583
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:08 pm
England

Re: Revell 1:24 Mercedes AMG GT

Post by exmoor »

Looking good
paul shapland
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Revell 1:24 Mercedes AMG GT

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Oooo nice looking project
I like the blue, I like it a lot :thumb2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Revell 1:24 Mercedes AMG GT

Post by bfrd »

I have a couple of updates. The first is a bit of a let-down. I didn't like the way the chrome parts looked, so I thought I would strip them and use Alclad to re-paint. Easy right!? Not so much. I put the parts in bleach for more than 24 hours and the only thing that happened is that the chrome turned slightly gold. No problem, I will just use oven cleaner. First application, not much happening. Rinse and repeat. 24 more hours of this has the chrome almost completely gone. What isn't gone is a brown substance left on the parts in many places. I tried warm water and repeated bleach and oven cleaner. All of this while scrubbing with a brush (soft plastic bristles). I finally lost my patience after the third day and moved on to the softest wire brush I had. This worked fairly well, but damaged the parts. Not terribly so, but still damaged. There are scratches galore. Many of them will be hidden, but some will not. Don't know if I will be de-chroming any parts again. At least not until my memory fades.
Image

Next up is my 2nd attempt at diamond clear. I used 3ml of clear, 1.5ml of hardner, and 1 ml of thinner. Their suggested ratio would have had me use only about half that amount of thinners. If anything; I think my mix might have still been too thick!

It isn't nearly as clean as I know the product is capable, but acceptable for my first try. I know the product is good, so it is up to me to figure out how to use it!
Image
Image

That's all for now.
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Revell 1:24 Mercedes AMG GT

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Keep up the battle, sometimes it is tough sledding
Weird sometimes how something you do all the time, like remove chrome, can suddenly turn on you
I think the brown stuff is what is first applied to make the chrome stick...have seen it before on other parts I have stripped and on under chromed areas, but my oven cleaner has torn right through to a clean surface
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
OlaHansson
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:
Sweden

Re: Revell 1:24 Mercedes AMG GT

Post by OlaHansson »

Looks nice!
I have the GT3 model and thinking of get this also...
exmoor
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 583
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:08 pm
England

Re: Revell 1:24 Mercedes AMG GT

Post by exmoor »

It's looking good here's my mix for the 2k gloss 20ml clear then 10 to 5ml hardener and 3 to 5ml thinner that gives me 2 mist coats and a wet coat .i hope this is helpful and your not offended thats my method not nessary rigth but works for me
paul shapland
Post Reply

Return to “Road Vehicles”