Page 1 of 1
Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:58 am
by sheppsea
Morning All,
As its halloween we went pumpkin picking yesterday, and we now have a massive pumpkin to carve (we wanted a medium sized one to be honest, but my daughter had her heart set on this one as soon as she saw it - carrying it back to the car was no joke though!)
To carve it I would like to buy a Dremel type tool as I have had my eye on one for models for a while so this will kill two birds with one stone. Looking on Amazon they have this one for what seems to me to be a reasonable price:
Would this be suitable for model making? The lowest RPM is 10,000, and I have read quite a few people find Dremel tools too powerful for plastic so just wondered what everyone's thoughts were and if this is too powerful?
I think Diego Quijano also uses a 10,000 RPM Dremel in the Encyclopaedia of Aircraft Modelling Techniques Book to create a stressed metal effect in plastic, so is it a case of personal preference than this being too much power per se?
The good thing about Dremel is that it is a trusted name, and I should be able to use the tool for other jobs around the house, which is why I am leaning towards it (model making will be its primary use though, and pumpkin carving of course)
Thanks all

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:10 pm
by Cymru
I see Proxxon used a lot out there in YT land and this starts at 5,000 rpm
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:27 pm
by MajorTom2004
I agree with cymru.
I had a Dremel (with rechargeable Battery), when it died, I did replace it with the Proxxon in the link.
I like it for the following reasons:
- it is very well balanced for my hand
- the lowest rpm is much lower than the Dremel, plastic is being sanded or cut and no longer burnt or melted
- if you buy the adjustable transformer you can lower the rpm even more, fantastic for tooling resin or for working with higher precision.
I know, the color of the Proxons is not really sexy, in my opinion the quality and the usefulness for us fsm is better
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:40 pm
by digger303
MajorTom2004 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:27 pm
I agree with cymru.
I had a Dremel (with rechargeable Battery), when it died, I did replace it with the Proxxon in the link.
I like it for the following reasons:
- it is very well balanced for my hand
- the lowest rpm is much lower than the Dremel, plastic is being sanded or cut and no longer burnt or melted
- if you buy the adjustable transformer you can lower the rpm even more, fantastic for tooling resin or for working with higher precision.
I know, the color of the Proxons is not really sexy, in my opinion the quality and the usefulness for us fsm is better
I have the adjustable transformer and as you said it works wonderfully and the drill performs as you say for me. My only regret is they could have provided an extra plug socket to allow two tools ( pencil sander ) to plugged in at the same time and a on off switch on the transformer. If it has a permanent place on your bench it is a pain to get under the work bench to shut the transformer off. I was wondering if the larger transformer might have those features, if so I might upgrade some time.

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 pm
by sheppsea
This does indeed seem to be the better option - thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Can't believe I hadn't come across this in previous searches
I just wanted to check a couple of things if that's okay:
- Am I correct in saying the adapter needed to reduced speed further is this: [*]Would I need to buy all of the bits separately?
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm
by MajorTom2004
digger303 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:40 pm
I have the adjustable transformer and as you said it works wonderfully and the drill performs as you say for me. My only regret is they could have provided an extra plug socket to allow two tools ( pencil sander ) to plugged in at the same time and a on off switch on the transformer. If it has a permanent place on your bench it is a pain to get under the work bench to shut the transformer off. I was wondering if the larger transformer might have those features, if so I might upgrade some time.
You are right. This is the only disadvantage of this small transformer (NG 2/E), the large one (NG 5/E) has 3 plug sockets. To be fair, it is twice the price (35 CHF vs 71 CHF), on the other hand I think it is worth the upgrade, some time. Ah, yes, the transformer has a power switch.
@sheppsea: If you consider buying Proxxon, check out the larger transformer, and as digger mentioned, the pencil sander is an extremely nice tool as well!

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:10 pm
by MajorTom2004
sheppsea wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 pm
This does indeed seem to be the better option - thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Can't believe I hadn't come across this in previous searches
I just wanted to check a couple of things if that's okay:
- Am I correct in saying the adapter needed to reduced speed further is this: [*]Would I need to buy all of the bits separately?
This is the smaller of the small trafos and not adjustable, have a look on this one
https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28707.php (the upper one which is
adjustable, only 230V, available at amazon.co.uk) or even this one
https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28704.php.
As mentioned, I own the NG 2/E, nowadays I probably would choose the NG 5/E for the power switch and the 3 plug sockets.
I did not buy online but in a local hobby shop, they did not have a set then, I had to buy separately.
I can't guarantee, but I am confident you will enjoy the Proxxon tools for a long time. Longer than the carved pumpkin

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:02 pm
by sheppsea
Thanks - that is the adapter I was meant to post a link to
Thank for you help - I will get the smaller of the two adapters, it will be something I need to pack away after every use anyway, space is at a premium on the bench!

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:49 pm
by Cymru
I have an old (cheap) HobbyCraft one and just this minute the Colette ring has broken on me

It seems I will be getting a new Proxxon also Sheppsea, is this thread cursed?

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 pm
by sheppsea
If Major Tom or Digger's Proxxon now break it will have to be deleted

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:15 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
My favourite Dremel tool is an orange battery powered pumpkin carver I got a Home Depot one year
It has two speeds and both are slow enough for those mini drills plus it is super small with no cords so stores easily
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:43 pm
by MajorTom2004
sheppsea wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 pm
If Major Tom or Digger's Proxxon now break it will have to be deleted
I was downstairs to check: my Proxxon still works

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:25 pm
by Cymru
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:30 am
by digger303
sheppsea wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 pm
If Major Tom or Digger's Proxxon now break it will have to be deleted
trying to share the bad luck....a hex on you

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:59 am
by Cymru
digger303 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:30 am
sheppsea wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 pm
If Major Tom or Digger's Proxxon now break it will have to be deleted
trying to share the bad luck....a hex on you
CHEERS

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:59 pm
by Vindicare
have you guys tryed the Tamiya one?
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:47 pm
by digger303
Vindicare wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:59 pm
have you guys tryed the Tamiya one?
No, but if it is wired for Japan then 100volts doesn't cut it here and a lot of other places. 4 reasons why I choose Proxon.
1. German quality
2. It's modular nature, makes the tools light and small.
3. If the power supply dies it is easily replaced at a small cost.
4. The speed control ability

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 am
by MajorTom2004
Vindicare wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:59 pm
have you guys tryed the Tamiya one?
Never heard of that. Maybe you have a link to the Tamiya tool?
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:26 am
by Vindicare
[youtube]WVsImMwApOc[/youtube]
i can find proxxon very easy over here, just the other day i was looking at a shelf full of the stuff
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:03 am
by MajorTom2004
Oh, I see. This one I know, but never considered seriously. Maybe I‘m wrong, it has more the appeal of a toy than a tool for me

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:06 pm
by digger303
MajorTom2004 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:03 am
Oh, I see. This one I know, but never considered seriously. Maybe I‘m wrong, it has more the appeal of a toy than a tool for me
No I think your on the money . I bought one years ago and found it to be under powered. The batteries are inadequate .If you want to spend all day on one hole then go for it. Hell if you want to stump up the postage you can have mine. Seen no more than 10 minutes use...free to good home .

Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:32 pm
by Vindicare
my rotary tool is dremel.
but even at the lowest setting is too fast for plastic

it melts...
one of these days i might check out these proxxon tools
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:48 am
by Joker56
Is there a way where one could use maybe a railway power controller as a speed controller on a Dremel , I've tried briefly once with no joy , interested to see if it possible
Re: Rotary Tool
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 am
by digger303
Joker56 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:48 am
Is there a way where one could use maybe a railway power controller as a speed controller on a Dremel , I've tried briefly once with no joy , interested to see if it possible
Not an expert by any means , but I would have thought a dial resistor ( potentiometer )could be used.