Page 1 of 1

Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 pm
by jgaudon34
This is the Hasegawa Spitfire Mk II kit, but comes with parts to backdate to a Mk I.
I didn't put the Coffman starter bulge on the right front of the cowl. I used the De Havilland propeller and hub. I also had to fabricate the wedge on the mast for the aerial. I used EZ Line for the aerials. Brilliant stuff, that!
The cockpit door and prybar is from Ultracast, and the exhaust is from Quickboost.

I finished this one as an RAF 92 Sdn Spitfire Mk I at Dunkirk, when the Squadron codes were GR, before they changed to QJ.
This one has the B pattern camo. I used Tamiya XF82 in a 3:1 mix of XF58 for a "greener" look. I used Aqueous Hobby Color H72 for Dark Earth, no mixing.
It has black ( Tamiya Nato Black) and white (a drop of black for scale effect) on the bottom and the Xtradecal sheet called for natural metal/aluminum dope (Alclad 101) under the tail area behind the wings, and the bottom of the cowl. I have seem other references showing the black all the way from nose to tail, but decided to follow the decal sheet.
I always paint the no walk lines myself, the decals never go on straight for me.
The wing panels on this kit were engraved, and strangely the fuselage had raised lines.
As a result I had to scribe the fuselage once I got it closed.

Not the best job, but I am calling it done.

UPDATE - Glaring errors I have come to learn since then..

No Pry bar on the door for Mk 1a, only started with Mk V. AND it would have been Black, Steel or Cockpit green if it was. Red only came in post war.

No Walk line on Mk 1 was straight from wingtip to the fuselage, no dog leg to the trailing edge. The metal on the wing was softer farther out from the cockpit door. Subsequently strengthened and the dog leg no walk line to the trailing edge was added.

ImageSpitfire Mk I A-16 by Joe Gaudon, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire Mk I A-19 by Joe Gaudon, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire Mk I A-1 by Joe Gaudon, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire Mk I A-7 by Joe Gaudon, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire Mk I A-17 by Joe Gaudon, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire Mk I A-6 by Joe Gaudon, on Flickr
ImageSpitfire Mk I A-11 by Joe Gaudon, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire Mk I A-8 by Joe Gaudon, on Flickr

ImageSpitfire Mk I A-21 by Joe Gaudon, on Flickr

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:20 am
by demarcation
Lovely Spit mate! :th:

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:16 pm
by SMAddict66
Nice work :clap:

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 am
by Tomcat64
Beautiful work - very subtle weathering :clap:

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Beautiful big bird!!! :thumb2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 pm
by Vindicare
i like it!

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:07 pm
by jgaudon34
UPDATE - Glaring errors I have come to learn since then..

No Pry bar on the door for Mk 1a, only started with Mk V. AND it would have been Black, Steel or Cockpit green if it was. Red only came in post war.

No Walk line on Mk 1 was straight from wingtip to the fuselage, no dog leg to the trailing edge. The metal on the wing was softer farther out from the cockpit door. Subsequently strengthened and the dog leg no walk line to the trailing edge was added.

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:41 pm
by digger303
jgaudon34 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:07 pm UPDATE - Glaring errors I have come to learn since then..

No Pry bar on the door for Mk 1a, only started with Mk V. AND it would have been Black, Steel or Cockpit green if it was. Red only came in post war.

No Walk line on Mk 1 was straight from wingtip to the fuselage, no dog leg to the trailing edge. The metal on the wing was softer farther out from the cockpit door. Subsequently strengthened and the dog leg no walk line to the trailing edge was added.
Glaring to you, but to me it looks fantastic. I can tell it's a Spitfire.... :clap: :clap: :th: :th: :cheers2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:02 am
by Hawkmoon
:th: Have to agree its a spity, stop beating yourself up it looks fine to me :clap: :clap: :thumb2: :thumb2:

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk I

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:51 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Great looking Spit :clap: :clap: :clap: