Page 1 of 1
Micro Set and Gloss Coats
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:54 am
by GMahaffey
I recently purchased Micro Set and Micro Sol for doing decals. From what I understand from research is that Micro Set works well with a gloss coat. If true, what gloss coats do you use for the model? Also unsure if you apply Micro Set to the model and then put the decal on or soak decal in water-micro set solution. Which of those techniques do you use? As for the Micro Sol solution, I do know how to use it.
Re: Micro Set and Gloss Coats
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 am
by Stokesy44
GMahaffey wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:54 am
I recently purchased Micro Set and Micro Sol for doing decals. From what I understand from research is that Micro Set works well with a gloss coat. If true, what gloss coats do you use for the model? Also unsure if you apply Micro Set to the model and then put the decal on or soak decal in water-micro set solution. Which of those techniques do you use? As for the Micro Sol solution, I do know how to use it.
I use Alclad Aqua Gloss and it works well for me.
As for the setting solutions, what I do is:
Use a paint brush or decal pen to apply some of the blue stuff to the surface of the kit where the decal is to go.
Once the decal is placed, remove excess liquid with cotton bud / tissue etc. then apply the red stuff with a pen or brush as required if you need to 'settle' the decal onto an uneven surface.
Adding the blue stuff to the water you place the decal in is no longer considered trendy by some. I used to do that but followed the perceived wisdom and now apply a few drops to where the decal will sit as described above.
Others may do it differently or use different solutions but the above work for the Stokesy
