Page 1 of 1

Airfix Spitfires 1:48 - Which is the best tool?

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:02 pm
by AlexBB
Hi Guys :hi:
Hope I have got the right place for this! I get a bit confused in forums where to ask stuff!! as there always seems soooooo many catergories....

Anyhow....

I am looking at doing a Spitfire in 1:48. I do have a couple in my stash (Airfix Club Kit ones...about 2008) but that is in storage at present and will be until we get our new house, could be 3 to 6 months... :(

I can see from the new Airfix catalogue which are the new tools this year, and thus should be nice to build and better detail and definition in the moulds than others.... BUT I can't seem to find out which of the ones not introduced this year are newish tools and not old ones..

I have looked online but cant seem to find anything other than 2017 & 2016 catalogues as PDF's and they don't show any new Spitfire Moulds ... has anyone got any pointers please?

I was hoping to find PDF's of the old catalogues or maybe a list of models and the years the Moulds were introduced etc... but no luck yet...

Google is a pain as it just want to show Ads or send to me dodgy sites wanting me to join some Hooky pdf file download library!!

Re: Airfix Spitfires 1:48 - Which is the best tool?

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm
by digger303
scalemates is the digest...or the wiki of kits
https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?f ... %20kits%22

Re: Airfix Spitfires 1:48 - Which is the best tool?

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm
by sheppsea
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you're asking, but I don't think the new Spitfire kit due this year will be a new tool - it didn't state it was when they announced it anyway. I have no idea which kit it will be based on though

The last new tool Spitfire was the Mk Vb (link to Scalemates page), released in 2014 and they subsequently release the Mk I based on the same mould (link to Scalemates). Both of these are still available, I have built the Mk Vb and recommend it, the only real issue I remember is that the struts were difficult to attach

There have also been a couple more new tools released since 2008 but these aren't as easily available now :)

Re: Airfix Spitfires 1:48 - Which is the best tool?

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:07 pm
by AlexBB
:th: Thanks for the link to the Scalemates site... I didn't even know this existed :D :D

Noe saved in my favorites :th: :th:

You have answered my question...

The newest Airfix Spitfire kit (with a new mould / tool) was A05125 introduced in 2014.. and has then been updated in 2015 in two guises, A05126 with new parts and A82015 as a club kit with new decals and paint schemes... :th: :th:

So I will be on the look out for one of those 3 to build...

Re: Airfix Spitfires 1:48 - Which is the best tool?

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:04 pm
by AlexBB
Whilst looking to find one of the Airfix kits online this morning I have come across an Eduard kit Nr 8281

Its the 1/48 EDK8281 Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXc Late Profipack.

I have never built any Eduard kits and until searching had no knowledge of them.

Has anyone got any opinions on which one I should go for? Either the Airfix A05125 or the Eduard 8281?

has anyone built these, Pros & Cons?

Re: Airfix Spitfires 1:48 - Which is the best tool?

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:08 pm
by sheppsea
I suspect that both will be excellent kits, Airfix will probably beeasier to build, but Eduard will be a step up in quality

You can't go wrong either way :th: