Page 1 of 1

Battle damage

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:38 am
by digger303
Can anyone tell me how battle damage of the penetration type was repaired in the field maintenance units during WW2. I never see any such repairs in photo's yet they must have been done as tanks were retrieved and repaired.

Re: Battle damage

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:39 am
by ForbesHutton
[youtube]_eAwfCCIaII[/youtube]

It seems they would patch over the hole. I would assume if it was really bad they would try and find another damaged vehicle that could be matched (drop a good turret on a good hull).

Re: Battle damage

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:40 am
by TheNordus
I think they plugged the hole with metal and welded it in place and grinded it down to be smooth, but I'm not sure. I can't find any concrete evidence to support this gut feeling so take it with a pinch of salt.

Re: Battle damage

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:52 am
by digger303
TheNordus wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:40 am I think they plugged the hole with metal and welded it in place and grinded it down to be smooth, but I'm not sure. I can't find any concrete evidence to support this gut feeling so take it with a pinch of salt.
I see.....grinding it smooth would explain it. :cheers2:

Re: Battle damage

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:58 am
by digger303
ForbesHutton wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:39 am [youtube]_eAwfCCIaII[/youtube]

It seems they would patch over the hole. I would assume if it was really bad they would try and find another damaged vehicle that could be matched (drop a good turret on a good hull).
thanks Forbes although they didn't show a patch. I would have thought they would have to put on a pretty thick bit of metal to give adequate protection to the crew. Unless they plugged it with weld.