Page 1 of 1

Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:03 am
by Jens
Just like so many of you I like my sanding sticks and I go through quite a lot of the fine ones. The polishing ones doesn't seem to wear so much and medium coarse I use sparingly.
The only problem is that they are hard to find at the moment - unless you want to pay silly shipping costs...
(a place in Edinburgh wanted regular p&p + an extra £28 just to ship to Scandinavia?!? :wtf: A bit steep for a small padded bag of sanding sticks...)

So do you know anyone who's got them (preferably in bulk) and don't charge silly shipping to Sweden?
What substitute sanding sticks can you recommend? (with same-ish grit as fine?)

I've not tested the Ultimate ones I've seen many here use. Which one of them is the equivalent to Squadrons "fine"?

Many thanks in advance!
/Mr. Sander von Plenty

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:54 am
by digger303
Ultimate sticks do last quite well, but pricy with freight. Squadron I have never seen.

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:44 am
by TommyKillander
Lately I have become a big fan of the Ultimate Thinny Sponge (220 grit) and Thinny Sticks (1200 grit), depending on if I want a hard or a soft core.

I mostly build small stuff (like 1/72) so many larger sanding sticks are too big and clumsy.

I haven't tested the Squadron sanding sticks though... what grit are they?

:cheers2:
Tommy

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:53 am
by Jens
TommyKillander wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:44 am I haven't tested the Squadron sanding sticks though... what grit are they?

:cheers2:
Tommy
Squadron have coarse, medium, fine and extra fine (polish) and they do a tri-grit as well.
Coarse I don't use at all, medium is hogging enough material for me but fine is great for fine detail sanding and then extra fine to polish.

If I can't get hold of them in reasonable quantity I might try the Ultimate stuff.
I've heard since writing my question that 400 is a very nice grit!

We Europeans have a different grit system to America and I don't know what system Ultimate is based on? 400 for us is quite fine and you only find it in wet&dry sandpaper.

Once you start using sanding sticks it's hard to go back to ye olde sandpaper... :scratch::

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:59 am
by Jens
If someone are using both, or have been, I'd like to hear a comparison and your opinion.

How well can you clean the Ultimate sanding sticks? (i.e. can you use lacquer thinner to remove the styrene without ruining the sanding stick?)

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 am
by chief5437
There’s a grit conversion chart on micro mesh’s website, if you want to have a look. As for cleaning Ultimate sanders, I just wipe them on my jeans and good as new!

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 am
by digger303
Jens wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:59 am If someone are using both, or have been, I'd like to hear a comparison and your opinion.

How well can you clean the Ultimate sanding sticks? (i.e. can you use lacquer thinner to remove the styrene without ruining the sanding stick?)

Many thanks in advance!
water and a tooth brush, but mostly don't need much of a clean just tap them against a hard surface or rub them against some cloth ( jeans mostly ).

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:35 am
by Paul
We use the uk system on grit per cm, the us use grit per inch i believe

As for Postage costs, if you live halfway around the world then yes sadly the costs will be high, but we only charge the postage rate.

Cleaning, wipe then on your trouser leg or a cloth and they are like new again.

Best way to test them is buy a starter pack and find which ones you like myself i use all the sticks 240, 400, 800, 1200 we post worldwide and like i say only charge the postage costs, which you can work out using our website before paying for your order.

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 am
by bfrd
I am a huge fan of Squadron. I live only about 5 minutes away from their warehouse and pick up my orders (I have one waiting right now). I think they have wonderful products branded products. However, I do like the Ultimate sanders better. The thinny sticks do get into some areas that the squadron sanders just do not fit. I don't find the wear to be much different. After having used both I will be using the Ultimate sanders even with the shipping advantage of the squadron sanders. Hope that helps.

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:57 am
by Jens
Paul wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:35 am We use the uk system on grit per cm, the us use grit per inch i believe

As for Postage costs, if you live halfway around the world then yes sadly the costs will be high, but we only charge the postage rate.

Cleaning, wipe then on your trouser leg or a cloth and they are like new again.

Best way to test them is buy a starter pack and find which ones you like myself i use all the sticks 240, 400, 800, 1200 we post worldwide and like i say only charge the postage costs, which you can work out using our website before paying for your order.
Cheers Paul. I wasn't sure if they were an American made product or not but now I know ;) :thumb1:

I've posted tons of stuff back and forth from UK but recently it's become more expensive, especially when some add "fees" on top of the actual p&p costs.
I'll buy a couple different ones, or starter packs and see what they're like? I much rather use something that's made closer to me anyway!

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:36 pm
by AlexBB
Hi Jens,
The Ultimate Postage rate is fair & reasonable for shipping to Europe (Sweden Included).

I have had to ship various items to Sweden, Germany & France and our Post Office have basically 2 charges for International Shipping (I think up to 2kg)
International Tracked (£12.12)
Ideal for sending important or valuable goods, offering tracking at five points after dispatch as well as an online confirmation of delivery.

and International Tracked and Signed (£10.10).
Tracked & Signed is a combination service offering full end-to-end tracking, signature on delivery and an online delivery confirmation.

To be honest I do not understand the real difference between them as both actually get a POD, though on one it is supposed to be a signature, but TBH ones I have tracked & seen are often just a scribble because of these electronic delivery devices and people writing on a screen!!
German ones have all been a proper scanned signature so think their postal service is still old school...
Both of these have compensation up to £50, over that it costs a couple of quid extra up to £250..

Now I only use International Tracked & Signed as I can do this online and then just drop the parcel into the PO to be scanned and don't have to wait inline and for them to do it at the counter.

There is a cheaper option on International up to 2kg at £5.75 (International Standard) but no one will use it due to the risk of getting a claim of no delivery as there is only compensation available up to £20 on that service.

Most companies in the UK add on a little (£1 to £3) depending on the size of the order for the packing materials, and this is normal practice and I would say is very fair as I would rather have things arrive safe than damaged.

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:51 pm
by Jens
AlexBB wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:36 pm Hi Jens,
The Ultimate Postage rate is fair & reasonable for shipping to Europe (Sweden Included).

I have had to ship various items to Sweden, Germany & France and our Post Office have basically 2 charges for International Shipping (I think up to 2kg)
International Tracked (£12.12)
Ideal for sending important or valuable goods, offering tracking at five points after dispatch as well as an online confirmation of delivery.

and International Tracked and Signed (£10.10).
Tracked & Signed is a combination service offering full end-to-end tracking, signature on delivery and an online delivery confirmation.

To be honest I do not understand the real difference between them as both actually get a POD, though on one it is supposed to be a signature, but TBH ones I have tracked & seen are often just a scribble because of these electronic delivery devices and people writing on a screen!!
German ones have all been a proper scanned signature so think their postal service is still old school...
Both of these have compensation up to £50, over that it costs a couple of quid extra up to £250..

Now I only use International Tracked & Signed as I can do this online and then just drop the parcel into the PO to be scanned and don't have to wait inline and for them to do it at the counter.

There is a cheaper option on International up to 2kg at £5.75 (International Standard) but no one will use it due to the risk of getting a claim of no delivery as there is only compensation available up to £20 on that service.

Most companies in the UK add on a little (£1 to £3) depending on the size of the order for the packing materials, and this is normal practice and I would say is very fair as I would rather have things arrive safe than damaged.
Hi Alex and thanks for your reply!

I just thought £28 was a wee bit excessive as "handling fee" as it didn't include p&p, but £12 + a few quid for packaging I don't mind.
When I used to live in the UK I remember postage to Sweden was dirt cheap as a "small packet" but I fully understand why a business won't use that option.

Anyhow, I shall order me a couple handfuls of sanding sticks and see what they're like?!

Many thanks! :th:

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:22 pm
by AlexBB
Hiya Jens,
I don't know who the company is quoting the £28 (and don't want to be doing any name & shame stuff!) but yes to me that is a bit of a rip off!!

Ultimate's postage seems fair to Sweden and there are many other UK Model suppliers who ship to Europe and don't charge silly postage costs or handling fee's.

As you are where you are, there are also many German, Norwegian & Danish companies who will ship to you, but not to us.

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:11 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
TommyKillander wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:44 am Lately I have become a big fan of the Ultimate Thinny Sponge (220 grit) and Thinny Sticks (1200 grit), depending on if I want a hard or a soft core.

I mostly build small stuff (like 1/72) so many larger sanding sticks are too big and clumsy.

I haven't tested the Squadron sanding sticks though... what grit are they?

:cheers2:
Tommy
+2 on this opinion from my buddy Tommy
I just got the thinny buffer set and man, I love everything about them...colour, grits, size. Great improvement :thumb2:

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:57 pm
by digger303
Jens wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:57 am
Paul wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:35 am We use the uk system on grit per cm, the us use grit per inch i believe

As for Postage costs, if you live halfway around the world then yes sadly the costs will be high, but we only charge the postage rate.

Cleaning, wipe then on your trouser leg or a cloth and they are like new again.

Best way to test them is buy a starter pack and find which ones you like myself i use all the sticks 240, 400, 800, 1200 we post worldwide and like i say only charge the postage costs, which you can work out using our website before paying for your order.
Cheers Paul. I wasn't sure if they were an American made product or not but now I know ;) :thumb1:

I've posted tons of stuff back and forth from UK but recently it's become more expensive, especially when some add "fees" on top of the actual p&p costs.
I'll buy a couple different ones, or starter packs and see what they're like? I much rather use something that's made closer to me anyway!
If you have some friends that are travelling...then ask for a favour. They won't weigh much.

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:54 am
by Jens
digger303 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:57 pm
If you have some friends that are travelling...then ask for a favour. They won't weigh much.
I've been bedridden for more or less the last 7 years (9 depending how you define "bedridden") so the postman is the way I do my shopping nowadays.
It used to work really well but the last two years have been miserable when the Danish post bought the Swedish post and sunk it like a broken ship. :scratch::

It took them three months just to process the incoming overseas packages from October so Christmas was ruined for many so I only order what I must from overseas now. Luckily I've found a Swedish model store who's got the Ultimate sanding sticks so I'm sorted!

I haven't got so many friends travelling today. I've lost contact with most of my former colleagues after my accident so it's up to the postman and the postal service to bring everything to me instead!
Luckily I'm in no rush... ;)

Cheers!

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:14 am
by digger303
Jens wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:54 am
digger303 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:57 pm
If you have some friends that are travelling...then ask for a favour. They won't weigh much.
I've been bedridden for more or less the last 7 years (9 depending how you define "bedridden") so the postman is the way I do my shopping nowadays.
It used to work really well but the last two years have been miserable when the Danish post bought the Swedish post and sunk it like a broken ship. :scratch::

It took them three months just to process the incoming overseas packages from October so Christmas was ruined for many so I only order what I must from overseas now. Luckily I've found a Swedish model store who's got the Ultimate sanding sticks so I'm sorted!

I haven't got so many friends travelling today. I've lost contact with most of my former colleagues after my accident so it's up to the postman and the postal service to bring everything to me instead!
Luckily I'm in no rush... ;)

Cheers!
good that you found a supply....postie's my best friend too as I live in a country area and friends never go where you want them too... :)
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. How did it happen if I may ask. Sporting accident or Automobile ?
:cheers2:

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 am
by Jens
digger303 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:14 am
good that you found a supply....postie's my best friend too as I live in a country area and friends never go where you want them too... :)
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. How did it happen if I may ask. Sporting accident or Automobile ?
:cheers2:
Nothing fashionable or manly like that, just slipped down some stairs and landed on the last step which resulted in a fractured pelvic and a handful of mangled discs... Initially I was only worried that someone had seen me, as you do, but after crawling up and got into bed I started realising a few days later that I wasn't just going to shake this off and I got gradually worse and worse the next year or so until I ended up in a wheelchair.

I've had some very painful surgeries but they've done what they can now. Nerve damage isn't fixable so I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life.
At least I'm walking again, just not very far. It could've been worse. That's what I'm telling myself anyway...

I'm roughly 7 cm shorter today so it's safe to say the spine took a hit.

Finding modelling again is what makes me tick at the moment! :th:

I've been through all stages and I've come to terms (mostly) with my situation today but it's hard not being able to do most things with the kids...

Right now I've got some kind of crap in the system and it's made me swollen somewhere so I've not been able to walk properly for the last week. Nerves are being squashed. Lots of morphine and planning ahead is all I can do and hope it settles soon!

So ladies and gents - be careful when you walk down stairs! It only takes a split second to ruin your life.

I hope to become prolific enough to model me a new spine one day but I'm not sure all the German armour I build is going to help...? :lol:

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 am
by digger303
Jens wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 am
digger303 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:14 am
good that you found a supply....postie's my best friend too as I live in a country area and friends never go where you want them too... :)
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. How did it happen if I may ask. Sporting accident or Automobile ?
:cheers2:
Nothing fashionable or manly like that, just slipped down some stairs and landed on the last step which resulted in a fractured pelvic and a handful of mangled discs... Initially I was only worried that someone had seen me, as you do, but after crawling up and got into bed I started realising a few days later that I wasn't just going to shake this off and I got gradually worse and worse the next year or so until I ended up in a wheelchair.

I've had some very painful surgeries but they've done what they can now. Nerve damage isn't fixable so I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life.
At least I'm walking again, just not very far. It could've been worse. That's what I'm telling myself anyway...

I'm roughly 7 cm shorter today so it's safe to say the spine took a hit.

Finding modelling again is what makes me tick at the moment! :th:

I've been through all stages and I've come to terms (mostly) with my situation today but it's hard not being able to do most things with the kids...

Right now I've got some kind of crap in the system and it's made me swollen somewhere so I've not been able to walk properly for the last week. Nerves are being squashed. Lots of morphine and planning ahead is all I can do and hope it settles soon!

So ladies and gents - be careful when you walk down stairs! It only takes a split second to ruin your life.

I hope to become prolific enough to model me a new spine one day but I'm not sure all the German armour I build is going to help...? :lol:
Well ya never know there are some really good medicals fixes coming down the research pipeline in all sorts of area's. So hang in there.

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 am
by Jens
digger303 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 am
Well ya never know there are some really good medicals fixes coming down the research pipeline in all sorts of area's. So hang in there.
Cheers! :)

Sadly there's no way to fix me since nerves develop "memory" after a few years and mine basically only signal pain 24/7 even when not trapped or squashed, but I have mostly "ok" days whenever the rest of the body is ok and I don't do anything stupid.

I was going to have a major op after Christmas to bolt all the disks together with titanium fixtures and bone grafts but we decided to abort because it would put me out of commission for 1-2 years and being a single parent with two autistic boys, and a house/estate/farm that needs maintenance, the equation just didn't add up. My spine will fuse together naturally in 10-15 years regardless rendering this surgery obsolete, in a way, so I decided to suck it up. I'm just a hair away from having to do this surgery so there was a choice, but if things gets worse (like they are now) and stay so then I no longer have a say in the matter, but I hope it's just a flu or something that's causing the current problem.

Life's never easy but it's all about finding the things that do work and ignore the rest!
Scale modelling has been a hell of a therapy and I feel creative again - and it makes me a happier person which means I'm a better dad and happy dads have less pain!

So these sanding sticks can be viewed as medicine I need to get better! :lol:

Thank you for your kind words!

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:55 am
by digger303
Jens wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 am
digger303 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 am
Well ya never know there are some really good medicals fixes coming down the research pipeline in all sorts of area's. So hang in there.
Cheers! :)

Sadly there's no way to fix me since nerves develop "memory" after a few years and mine basically only signal pain 24/7 even when not trapped or squashed, but I have mostly "ok" days whenever the rest of the body is ok and I don't do anything stupid.

I was going to have a major op after Christmas to bolt all the disks together with titanium fixtures and bone grafts but we decided to abort because it would put me out of commission for 1-2 years and being a single parent with two autistic boys, and a house/estate/farm that needs maintenance, the equation just didn't add up. My spine will fuse together naturally in 10-15 years regardless rendering this surgery obsolete, in a way, so I decided to suck it up. I'm just a hair away from having to do this surgery so there was a choice, but if things gets worse (like they are now) and stay so then I no longer have a say in the matter, but I hope it's just a flu or something that's causing the current problem.

Life's never easy but it's all about finding the things that do work and ignore the rest!
Scale modelling has been a hell of a therapy and I feel creative again - and it makes me a happier person which means I'm a better dad and happy dads have less pain!

So these sanding sticks can be viewed as medicine I need to get better! :lol:

Thank you for your kind words!
:th: :th: :th:

Re: Squadron Sanding Sticks - where or replacements?

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:47 pm
by Jens
This is what I ended up ordering:

Ultimate-044 Thinny Sanders - 400/400
Ultimate-043 Sanders - 400/800
Ultimate-021 Thinny Sponges 220/220
Ultimate-020 Thinny Sanders - Multi Pack
Ultimate-010 Sanders - Starter Pack

I couldn't find a sponges starter pack where I ordered from but I think it'll be ok for now. I mostly use harder sanding sticks anyway and for really curved surfaces I use plain wet & dry sandpaper.

Thanks for the help! :th: