Page 1 of 1

In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:35 pm
by NuclearMoose
As I wait for my Bf 109 kits to show up, I've been thinking about how I want the planes to be displayed. I just watched Alex (AlexModeling) talk about his entry into the German Aces GB, and he is doing his model in the in-flight configuration. I'm wondering about that in this respect - displaying the plane as its landing gear is dropping down (or folding up after take-off). I'm not sure I've seen examples of that anywhere.

What are your thoughts about this kind of display choice? Does it add to the model or would it detract in any way? I'm assuming that you would have to mod the landing struts and related stuff so that you can fold the gear in a convincing way.

Thanks for your input, as always!

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:54 am
by Gav0909
I think a plane in take-off mode, or landing would be cool. If its a carrier based aircraft then even cooler having it coming into land, canopy back (if its an older prop plane), gear coming down, flaps down, tail hook down. Could model it so its base looks like a carrier deck.

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:19 am
by UKscalemodeller
Gav0909 wrote:I think a plane in take-off mode, or landing would be cool. If its a carrier based aircraft then even cooler having it coming into land, canopy back (if its an older prop plane), gear coming down, flaps down, tail hook down. Could model it so its base looks like a carrier deck.

Maybe even alter the pilot to have him peering outside the canopy a little.

anything that adds to the interest is generally a good thing.

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:43 am
by Gav0909
Yeah I have modeled my Seafire as if its coming into land on a carrier, just need to get round to making a base for it.

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:54 am
by wappynutter
If its close enough to the ground/deck then you wouldn't need to worry about the landing gear position as the gear is down and locked way before touchdown.
I suppose clear acrylic rod could be used to mount the approaching aircraft and as Ian and Gav mentioned, flaps down, pilot peering out, canopy back...... Very catching and will attract a lot of interest on the forum.... :th: :eeek:
Good luck moose with whatever action shot you choose. :thumb1:
:cheers2:

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:51 pm
by 5Craven
I saw a dio of a plane 'catching the wire' on a carrier landing where the hook was a steel rod connecting the aircraft to the base.

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:10 pm
by Colin
I'm pretty sure the 109s undercarriage legs do not retract or extend symmetrically, by that I mean one leg starts to retract slightly before the other, if you google image search you should find examples of this and I think it would look more dynamic like that than locked fully down or locked up.

I cant say for sure but I dont think a 109 would land or take off with the hood open due to the fact it hinges to the side and would be pretty unsafe at still fairly high landing speeds or take off speeds, for sure I've seen Spitfires ETC with a rear sliding hood do this though.

Another option to make things more dynamic would be to add a prop-motor, I'm pretty sure I have one here from one of the Tamiya 1/48 prop motor range you can have if you want, the problem would be where to hide the battery and make it changeable.

Enjoy your in-flight diorama, its something I've always meant to do. :th:

EDIT: did a quick search and the undercarriage retract offset can be seen in this picture, its not so dramatic a difference as on some other aircraft though, another thing to note from this picture is of course dropped flaps but also the rudder slightly offset that is normal on takeoff for single engine fighters.

Image

And a video clip of the same aircraft (as food for thought too) more clearly showing the 109's undercarriage gear retracting unevenly.

[youtube]dO9mEv5Ve54[/youtube]

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:46 am
by cib2265
To add to this thread, Id prefer to display them in flight mode most of the time - just looks more dynamic to me, although I have some ideas for say carrier based dioramas etc.

What are your ideas/opinions on how to do this - e.g. using rare earth magnets instead of cutting a hole in the underside, and what type of display stand to use?

Im looking at the Airfix 1/24 and other scaled simple mounts, and also the Academy "hexagon" style (although why that picture has the aircraft with gear down is beyond me!)

Image

Image

Thoughts? Any other options?

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:48 am
by LifesGoodDH
I'm pretty sure Polar Lights has a universal display stand that is pretty solid. You can control the angle and tilt/what have you - it's fairly versatile.

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:05 am
by cib2265
Thanks Ive checked them out and might try one alongside the Academy one and see whats what..

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:09 am
by Paul
The italleri stands are very good too, not sure if you can still get them though

Re: In-flight, static-on-the-ground; posing your aircraft

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:03 pm
by peppie
Just watch out when you want to do a in flight plane. Not all kits have the possebility to do this, unless you make some changes to the plane. So prepare for some cutting and scratch building.

I'm working on a FW190 d-11, and I wanted to put it in flight. But the landinggeardoors don't fit, they are to small, length en width wise :scratch:: Also de wheelbays are not deep enough to house the landinggear.

So I decided to put the plane in "take off", so with one wheel almost all the way up, and one wheel half way.

I't can be done, but takes some planning.

Good luck