Pleased to be back.....I could Spitfire!!
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:17 pm
Well. it's been a while since I've posted anything, but I do still regularly look in at all the great work that is going on. I'm especially loving the upsurge in cars and bikes, there is some stunning work being posted and the level of detail is just bonkers!!
To be honest, I wasn't sure whether to put this post in introductions or not, but opted for the Air Gallery instead as it does kinda show a build of sorts.
For those of you that have had the displeasure of encountering one of my threads in the past, you will know that I am a die-hard armour builder. Like most people, I started building Airfix planes as a kid, but then I discovered bikes, birds and booze!!
In bout 2010, I got back into the hobby and decided to opt for a tank instead, the Tamiya Chieftain to be precise. It was horrible!! Hand-painted, stapled tracks and finger marks everywhere. I haven't got a whole heap better, but I've got a heck of a lot more tools to blame my shoddy handiwork on!
I haven't really done too much building in the last couple of years, like most of us, life just seemed to get in the way, but a few weeks ago I got a hankering to play with some styrene again. I don't really have a stash, three or four models at the most, but for some reason, I wanted to build a plane, and specifically a Spitfire. My local Hobbycraft had a reduced Mk1 and looking at the box-art wafted me back to days of gloppy tube-glue and tins of Humbrol enamel.
Before I begin, let me apologise because I am no aircraft builder. I know nothing about most things and even less about WW2 aircraft. I spent thirty minutes on the phone to Tamiya complaining that there were no tracks in the box.
Anywho, the kit fell together and there was little or no need for filler.

Everything was OOB and I chose to hand-paint the instrument panel rather than use the decal.

Some of the Krystal Clear still hasn't set on the dials in this pic. Oh, for those of you that want to know what brush I use for my detail painting, it's a special brush that's not actually part of W&N's Series 7 range, but it works for me........

Here's the rest of the cockpit and I decided to use the figure. What can I say, I'm a tred-head, I like me figures!


I never knew Prince Philip flew Spit's during the war.....who knew??

And here's the little fella all snug in his home.

Paints for the camo were Tamiya, and I used the fine masking tape for the pattern, all finished off with a couple of coats of floor polish.


Not too much in the way of weathering, some pre-shading and post shading and a pin wash for the panel lines and that's me pretty much there.




And I'm going to call it done there. Thoroughly enjoyed the build and it just fell together in little over a week. My only complaint was the decals, there were quite thick and my usual Micro Set, Micro Sol just wasn't doing the job. I had to resort to Mr Hobby, Mr Mark softener, which seemed to get the decals settled down okay.
It's only the second wingy-thing that I've built, the first being a Mosquito for a "Wooden Wonder" members SiG a couple of years ago, but I'll definitely be doing more.

Well, many thanks for stopping by and taking a look and hopefully I will get a chance to catch up with some of you on the forum.
And remember, if you can't be a good citizen, be a model one!

For those of you that have had the displeasure of encountering one of my threads in the past, you will know that I am a die-hard armour builder. Like most people, I started building Airfix planes as a kid, but then I discovered bikes, birds and booze!!
I haven't really done too much building in the last couple of years, like most of us, life just seemed to get in the way, but a few weeks ago I got a hankering to play with some styrene again. I don't really have a stash, three or four models at the most, but for some reason, I wanted to build a plane, and specifically a Spitfire. My local Hobbycraft had a reduced Mk1 and looking at the box-art wafted me back to days of gloppy tube-glue and tins of Humbrol enamel.
Before I begin, let me apologise because I am no aircraft builder. I know nothing about most things and even less about WW2 aircraft. I spent thirty minutes on the phone to Tamiya complaining that there were no tracks in the box.
Anywho, the kit fell together and there was little or no need for filler.

Everything was OOB and I chose to hand-paint the instrument panel rather than use the decal.

Some of the Krystal Clear still hasn't set on the dials in this pic. Oh, for those of you that want to know what brush I use for my detail painting, it's a special brush that's not actually part of W&N's Series 7 range, but it works for me........

Here's the rest of the cockpit and I decided to use the figure. What can I say, I'm a tred-head, I like me figures!


I never knew Prince Philip flew Spit's during the war.....who knew??

And here's the little fella all snug in his home.

Paints for the camo were Tamiya, and I used the fine masking tape for the pattern, all finished off with a couple of coats of floor polish.


Not too much in the way of weathering, some pre-shading and post shading and a pin wash for the panel lines and that's me pretty much there.




And I'm going to call it done there. Thoroughly enjoyed the build and it just fell together in little over a week. My only complaint was the decals, there were quite thick and my usual Micro Set, Micro Sol just wasn't doing the job. I had to resort to Mr Hobby, Mr Mark softener, which seemed to get the decals settled down okay.
It's only the second wingy-thing that I've built, the first being a Mosquito for a "Wooden Wonder" members SiG a couple of years ago, but I'll definitely be doing more.

Well, many thanks for stopping by and taking a look and hopefully I will get a chance to catch up with some of you on the forum.
And remember, if you can't be a good citizen, be a model one!