A0 Paper

Scale model photography, techniques, equipment, advice.
Post Reply
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

A0 Paper

Post by sheppsea »

Hi All,

This may not be the best section to put it in, but as the paper will be used for photography I thought this seems to fit best.

Does anyone know where I can buy single sheets of A0 paper? Ideally white, black and a few other colours? I can't seem to find them anywhere as single sheets; I can only find very long rolls or packs, and I don't want to spend that much when I'm unlikely to need more than one for many years at least

I am only asking as after a recent thread where I saw a photobooth made from a cardboard box I decided I would give it a go - I have got everything up and running now, and certainly see how this will improve photos (a few of the better shots are below, although this does make it harder to hide where something went wrong! :D)

I decided to go big and used the biggest spare cardboard box I had in the loft; the only problem with this is that the background white paper needs two A1 sheets, which one can see on the photos, but an A0 would fit in pretty much perfectly. Its not a huge deal - my wife says she doesn't even notice it but I can see it and know its there!

Or are there any other reasonably priced alternatives?

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by Paul »

I use a 4 ft wide white roller blind, it hangs over one of my paint racks on my bench and is pulled down for pics, simple easy and cheap at about £10 from argos
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by sheppsea »

Thats a good shout - easier to store than paper too, thanks :)

Will wait to see if someone else comes back with other suggestions, I still can't believe A0 is actually quite difficult to buy, I know it will rarely be needed, but I would have thought there is a market for it
User avatar
Jens
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:56 am
Location: Skåne, Sweden
Contact:

Re: A0 Paper

Post by Jens »

Odd size paper used to be easier to get hold of but the "digital revolution" has made anything but A4 and A3 hard to find.
The roller blind tip is a good one, so is a second hand projector screen if you can find a clean one? A0 paper will probably cost you more to track down, unless you know a printer?
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by sheppsea »

Unfortunately I don't know a printer, it may need to be roller blind in that case :)
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by Tomcat64 »

The roller blind is a good call, for larger sized papers maybe try Staples or Hobbycraft in the UK?
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by sheppsea »

Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:29 pm The roller blind is a good call, for larger sized papers maybe try Staples or Hobbycraft in the UK?
Both only go up to A1, I will check Hobbycraft in the shop again next time I'm near the just in case, but that is where I got the A1 sheets from so I'm not holding out much hope :)
Tay99
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: South west uk
Turkmenistan

Re: A0 Paper

Post by Tay99 »

Have you tried eBay
:hi:
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by sheppsea »

Tay99 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 pm Have you tried eBay
I have indeed - its ones of the place where I found a pack of 10 that cost £25, which seems ways over the top, especially I would I would one use £2.50 of the product; the roller blind is a better option than that :)
User avatar
MerseyTrainz
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Great Britain

Re: A0 Paper

Post by MerseyTrainz »

Have you tried Drawing Office Suppliers or Print Companies?
Best regards... Stephen (MerseyTrainz)

On the Bench... Tamiya 1/35 British Army Chieftain Mk.5 Military Model Tank (35068), Tamiya 1/35 US Army M3 Stuart Light Tank - WW2 (35042)
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by sheppsea »

MerseyTrainz wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:51 pm Have you tried Drawing Office Suppliers or Print Companies?
Not yet, was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but they will be my next port of call :)
User avatar
chops1sc
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:42 am
Location: South Carolina, USA
United States of America

Re: A0 Paper

Post by chops1sc »

What about poster board?
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by sheppsea »

chops1sc wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:33 pm What about poster board?
A poster board is too rigid for this unfortunately :)
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by sheppsea »

Well, after much searching I finally got a (roughly) A0 size paper from a reprographics shop near me. They didn't actually have that sized paper but cut off one at roughly the right dimensions and all it cost was a small donation to the charity box. Unfortunately they only had it in white, but I will pick up a couple of black A1 sheets which should cover everything I need :)

It still amazes me that its so apparently impossible to get A0 paper - I appreciate that it wouldn't be in general stationary shops like WH Smith, or even HobbyCraft, but I would have thought specialist print shops would have bundles :)
User avatar
barrythornton
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:47 pm
Location: Wigan Casino
Palestine

Re: A0 Paper

Post by barrythornton »

I might have it. Thats a big old backdrop though , are you building a `Death Star`?
A: a shop window poster... Hairdressing salons are a good bet, the paper is thick, I have some that are actually more of a plastic, so use the back.
B: Would it not be easier to use a cloth? thats what came with my photo booth.
C: If you manage to snag a good quality window poster you could spray the back any colour.
D: Ive seen wall posters in pound shops, use the back, or look for a out of date poster being sold off ... One Direction? are they still a thing? :oops:
If it`s got a Dragon or a Dwarf in it .....I`m out ! :pistols:
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: A0 Paper

Post by sheppsea »

Thank you - a cloth was my back up option :)
User avatar
barrythornton
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:47 pm
Location: Wigan Casino
Palestine

Re: A0 Paper

Post by barrythornton »

Think `simple`.... it usually works. :cheers2:
If it`s got a Dragon or a Dwarf in it .....I`m out ! :pistols:
Post Reply

Return to “Scale Model Photography”