Page 1 of 1

Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:32 pm
by strawnobi
ImageIMG_5026 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5024 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_5022 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_5020 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_5019 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_5018 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_5015 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr



Hello again from Japan! Well, a kit I got at Christmas took until Easter to finish. Truth be known, I didn't start it until the beginning of March.
I must say this is an outstanding offering from Tamiya. Here are just a few notes:
























ImageIMG_5013 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_5006 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_5004 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_5003 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_5001 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4999 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4998 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4993 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4991 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4984 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4983 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4982 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr



ImageIMG_4979 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4976 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4973 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4972 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4971 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4967 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr










ImageIMG_4964 (1) by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


ImageIMG_4961 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr



ImageIMG_4959 by Matt Strawn, on Flickr


Hello again from Japan! Well, a kit I got at Christmas took until Easter to finish. Truth be known, I didn't start it until the beginning of March.
I must say this is an outstanding offering from Tamiya. Here are just a few notes:


1. The fit: Absolutely one of the best fitting kits I've ever seen and I've been building models since I was 8 years old (1985). I built the old Monogram kit several times growing up and this one blows it out of the water. That being said, having built the Hobby Boss (Danger Zone version), it takes queue's from that kit and improves on them. It just basically falls together. Almost zero putty was used. There was one tiny spot I had to putty and that was it.

2. Paint: I used Mr. Color and Tamiya throughout. The base color was Light Gull Gray. I then faded it with Light gray and smoke. But, in the preshade, various shades of brown and even Field blue was used on random panels. All in all about 6 or seven steps were involved. The whole thing was primed in Mr. Surfacer prior to pre-shade. I also put a dark Gray pin wash on the panel lines. The surface detail is fantastic. I was worried when I first cracked the box. But it's fine detail that just drinks up any pin wash you would use.

3. Decals: I used decals left over from my Danger Zone build for the Sundowner's scheme. The stencils were the Tamiya ones and I had almost no problems with them. And brilliantly they include stencils for the ordinance. Thank you Tamiya!!

Tamiya really did their homework with the build process. The fact that they include properly shaped air bags for the wings in the open position is a bonus. Yes, it doesn't have slats and flaps. But, most of the time you will display it swept back anyway. I still think the cockpit is better in the Danger Zone kit. But what's included is great too. The radar display is really cool. I just wish they had included some decals for the instruments. Yes the CRT's are there, but if they are going to go through the trouble, they should include decals for the instruments. Minor nitpick.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the kit and build. Oob this is the best kit on the market. If there was ever a Danger Zone version made, it would take the cake. If you have the opportunity, go for it.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. As always, comments and critiques welcome.

Take Care and Happy Modeling!!!

Matt

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:17 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Fabulous build mate :clap: :th:

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:38 am
by HGBarnes
Stunning!

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:17 pm
by strawnobi
Thanks for the comments gents. It was an adventure!!

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:55 am
by Fridgy
Very nice
Great work

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:47 am
by strawnobi
Fridgy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:55 am Very nice
Great work
Thanks! Yours is looking great too!! Are you getting close to getting it finished? This kit is modeler's crack. I had a ball building it. It took awhile to get my mojo up enough to start it. But once I finally got into it I couldn't put it down. I built it in about 3 weeks.

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:50 am
by bfrd
Love that plane and I agree the kit is amazing. Almost feels like cheating.

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:57 pm
by Fridgy
strawnobi wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:47 am
Fridgy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:55 am Very nice
Great work
Thanks! Yours is looking great too!! Are you getting close to getting it finished? This kit is modeler's crack. I had a ball building it. It took awhile to get my mojo up enough to start it. But once I finally got into it I couldn't put it down. I built it in about 3 weeks.
Thanks!
Mines getting there, doing all the stencils at the moment..... god so many little decals......

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:56 pm
by strawnobi
Fridgy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:57 pm
strawnobi wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:47 am
Fridgy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:55 am Very nice
Great work
Thanks! Yours is looking great too!! Are you getting close to getting it finished? This kit is modeler's crack. I had a ball building it. It took awhile to get my mojo up enough to start it. But once I finally got into it I couldn't put it down. I built it in about 3 weeks.
Thanks!
Mines getting there, doing all the stencils at the moment..... god so many little decals......
I hear ya on the stencils. There's something like 200 of them on this puppy. The ordinance alone took me about 10 to 12 hours (assembly to flat coat) with 4 hours or so just on the decals. Maybe I'm just a slowpoke. But I frankly detest the process of putting stencil decals on jets. It's a necessary evil though. I kept thinking "if I ever have to see another no step decal, may it be the last one!"

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 pm
by ElCapitan
This makes me want to crack on with my own half-painted Sundowners F-14! I highly doubt it'll turn out as good as yours though, absolutely stunning :th:

Re: Tamiya 1/48 F-14 Tomcat (Sundowner's scheme)

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:57 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
She is a BEAUTY, WOW :thumb2: