Page 1 of 1

English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 am
by smokeriderdon
Getting a late start in this one, but better late than never eh? :)

I have had this kit for a while, and figured it would be a perfect entry into this build. Plenty of Russian and U.S. stuff, and even though I am American, I figured this build could use some British firepower. ;)

From Wikipedia:

The English Electric Lightning is a supersonic fighter aircraft of the Cold War era. It was designed, developed, and manufactured by English Electric, which was subsequently absorbed by the newly formed British Aircraft Corporation. It was then marketed as the BAC Lightning. The Lightning was the only all-British Mach 2 fighter aircraft. The Lightning was used by the Royal Air Force (RAF) and the Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF). Although it was the RAF's primary interceptor for more than two decades, it was never required to attack another aircraft.

The Lightning is powered by two Rolls-Royce Avon turbojet engines in a unique staggered stacked installation in the fuselage. The Lightning was initially designed and developed as an interceptor to defend the V bomber airfields[2] from attack by anticipated future nuclear-armed supersonic Soviet bombers such as what emerged as the Tupolev Tu-22, but it was subsequently also required to intercept other bomber aircraft such as the Tupolev Tu-16 and the Tupolev Tu-95. The Lightning has exceptional rate of climb, ceiling, and speed; pilots have described flying it as "being saddled to a skyrocket".[1] This performance and the initially limited fuel supply[3] made the Lightning a "fuel-critical" aircraft, meaning that its missions are dictated to a high degree by its limited range. Later developments provided greater range and speed along with aerial reconnaissance and ground-attack capability.

Following retirement in the late 1980s, many of the remaining aircraft became museum exhibits, and, until 2009, three Lightnings were kept flying at "Thunder City" in Cape Town, South Africa. In September 2008, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers conferred on the Lightning its "Engineering Heritage Award" at a ceremony at BAE Systems' site at Warton Aerodrome.

Pictures like this are what made me attracted to this plane. A lot of punch in a small package.

Image

And the kit:

Image

Image

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:20 am
by aur0ra145
Looks like a fun build!

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:06 am
by Bender10101
Nice! Almost went with this kit myself.

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:22 am
by smokeriderdon
OK, got the pilot and cock pit done. I am not a big figures guy, and in 1/72 I REALLY dont like doing them. But, no real detail on the seat and no extra PE belts laying around in this scale, so pilot it is. Turned out OK I think.

Image

Image

Image

And this is the only reason I am able to even attempt this stuff in 1/72...

Image

The instructions call for 4 grams of weight in the intake assembly inside of the nose cone/wheel well part. Not much room, but I squished 3 split shot weight to fit in the larger part, and half of one in the cone. Hopefully that will do it. No other place to put anything.

Image

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 pm
by pourquoi61
Nice choice. :th: :th: :th:

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:27 am
by smokeriderdon
OK, got the fuselage together. Had issues with the fit around the cockpit. Just did not want to close up all the way. I ended up taking of a good portion of the corner of the pit tub to get it to close up somewhat decent. Thankfully you cant see that part. This is my first real use of sprue goo. I made up a batch from the sprue pieces from the Vulcan kit. I figured I might as well since I am going to have to sand regardless.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:21 pm
by warpedcrisis
Nice work there.
Need to get me a lightning

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:07 pm
by NorthernModeller
love a lightning :) looking forward to seeing this come together

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 am
by smokeriderdon
Quick update. Got it mostly together and gloss black primer on. Will spray in the next couple days. Going to try the AK paint I picked up I think. Behind it is the 1/72 Vulcan I am working on. Shows how big the Vulcan was and how small the Lightning was.

Image

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am
by warpedcrisis
looking good and the Vulcan looks sweet as well

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 am
by smokeriderdon
Small updates since I am splitting time with two projects. First, a tip. I dont know about anyone else, but the sprue letters are a pain to find. Its nice they are there, but not easy to read. Simply wrap a piece of tape on the sprue and write the letter in larger print on both sides. Makes life easier.

Image

So it is now silver. I used AK extreme aluminum. These are enamels, and it sprayed great! And dried almost as quickly as Alclad does. As you can see, it looks very good. A definite alternative to Alclad.

Image

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:14 pm
by NorthernModeller
Looking great so far. Nice metal finish you have got :)

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:44 pm
by pourquoi61
The dog's b*&%$££"&** mate. Metal paint puts the wind up me.
Tis the black art. :th: :th: :th:

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:36 am
by smokeriderdon
pourquoi61 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:44 pm The dog's b*&%$££"&** mate. Metal paint puts the wind up me.
Tis the black art. :th: :th: :th:
LMAO The black art eh???? It does take some practice, and I am far from a master wizard, but I manage. And thank you. :)

So, Mon was my birthday, so I didnt even look at the bench all weekend. Got a bit done tonight. Nose cone in, exhausts on, tail and canopy black. All ready for decals now. That will be next session.

Image

Image

Fun facts. The Lightning could reach 36,000 feet in under 3 minutes. The only plane in the same league is the F-15C. The Lightning outperformed F-104s with ease. At least two pilots took a Lightning to over 80,000 feet. Intercept exercises were performed using U-2As as targets. The lightning easily intercepted the U-2s between 60 and 65,000 feet.

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 pm
by pourquoi61
Thanks for the fun facts, these are the most interesting facts not stuffy text book blurb. :th: :th: :th:

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:21 am
by smokeriderdon
pourquoi61 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 pm Thanks for the fun facts, these are the most interesting facts not stuffy text book blurb. :th: :th: :th:
Thank you. :) I like to take the stuffy facts and present them in a less formal manner. And I find it amazing that this plane that got retired in 1988 is matched only by the 15. As much as I like the 104 and 105 and Phantom, they just couldnt touch the performance of this rocket.

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:58 pm
by DBMiller
I've never seen one for real, but I had a magazine photo of one on my wall when I was a kid. The Lightning is one of the coolest looking jets ever built. Yours is coming along nicely!

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:39 pm
by NorthernModeller
Coming together very nicely :) Keep it up

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:41 am
by smokeriderdon
DBMiller wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:58 pm I've never seen one for real, but I had a magazine photo of one on my wall when I was a kid. The Lightning is one of the coolest looking jets ever built. Yours is coming along nicely!
NorthernModeller wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:39 pm Coming together very nicely :) Keep it up
Thank you gents. :)

So, I have the decals mostly done. Just the bottom to go. For a 1/72 of a small plane, this thing has a large number of stencils. LOL

Image

You gotta mark em as you go. You can easily lose track. Especially on larger models.

Image

Image

Image

Sorry for the blur. Couldnt get the damn phone to focus.

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:44 pm
by smokeriderdon
OK, so last update before I post the completed thread. This is where she sits right now. Waiting for the parts to dry completely. I will decal them and attach and that will be that.

Image

Image

So, I cant say enough about the kit. I honestly believe the cock pit issue I had was self inflicted somehow. I want to do another just to see if that is the case. regardless, this kit is right on par with Tamiya and the rest. The fit was great, the decals superb. I hate fiddly little parts on 1/72s though. But that is just my issue. LOL

I also really like the way the AK metal paint sprayed. It also brushed well on small part and touch ups. Highly recommend giving it a go.

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:46 am
by pourquoi61
Thanks I have just got one. :th: :th:

Re: English Electric Lightning F.6 1/72 Airfix

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:57 am
by smokeriderdon
pourquoi61 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:46 am Thanks I have just got one. :th: :th:
I honestly believe you will be more than happy with it! :)