Page 1 of 1
Why am I this way?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 pm
by bfrd
Intrigued?
I found my bench last night and got back to my Cold War entry. I was attaching some parts to some bamboo forks for painting. I spent a few minutes searching my bench for little bits of used blu-tak and forks. Why? I don't seem to mind spending money on paint or kits (not to mention tools!), but when it comes to toothpicks, bamboo forks, and blu-tak I suddenly become a miser. I bought two packages of blu-tak about a year ago. So far I have only used about 1.5 strips and I still can't seem to throw it away. I just keep reusing them until they just don't stick anymore. I swear I just don't get how my head works...
Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm
by Cymru
Errr, your tight!

Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:40 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Mate I've got Blue Tac that's at least 25 years old and it still works fine, after I've used it covered in paint I just mould it and the paint is gone.
Why just keep throwing stuff away it's all got to end up somewhere and the earth is full of crap from the throw away culture and it's got to stop.
Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:14 pm
by Gary30
I'm the same, one example springs to mind, I bought a pack of 8 tubes of CA from the Poundshop (12.5p per tube!) and I was using one to glue some PE to a kit, and I left it for a few days, then came back to the tube and it had all dried up and glued itself shut, I was stressing about trying to free the lid so I could use what was left instead of chucking it and being ultra extravagant and opening another 12.5p tube

Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:52 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I have been rinsing out my disposable pipettes and plastic paint cups as of late....my justification is less plastic in the ocean and not being wasteful
Certainly not cheap

Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:14 pm
by sheppsea
I reuse stuff as much as possible, because of the same reasons outlined above, our attitude that everything is disposable needs to end, kevthemodeller sums it up nicely

Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm
by bfrd
I love it! I am really not a wack-job; I'm eco-friendly!
Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
bfrd wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm
I love it! I am really not a wack-job; I'm eco-friendly!
That is what I keep telling myself too... I am an eco-friendly-wack-job

Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:36 am
by digger303

r
Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 am
by Twokidsnosleep
I just read a story that Asia, China specifically has stopped importing plastic for recycling from the ‘western’ world as of January 2018.
This might be a bit of an enormous problem if “we” were just dumping our plastic elsewhere under the guise of recycling it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pollution ... -1.4593078
Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:02 pm
by digger303
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 am
I just read a story that Asia, China specifically has stopped importing plastic for recycling from the ‘western’ world as of January 2018.
This might be a bit of an enormous problem if “we” were just dumping our plastic elsewhere under the guise of recycling it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pollution ... -1.4593078
We dig bigger holes now that China doesn't want it.

Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:54 pm
by bfrd
digger303 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:02 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 am
I just read a story that Asia, China specifically has stopped importing plastic for recycling from the ‘western’ world as of January 2018.
This might be a bit of an enormous problem if “we” were just dumping our plastic elsewhere under the guise of recycling it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pollution ... -1.4593078
We dig bigger holes now that China doesn't want it.
If we dig the holes deep enough, perhaps China will get it after all!

Re: Why am I this way?
Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:10 am
by digger303
bfrd wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:54 pm
digger303 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:02 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 am
I just read a story that Asia, China specifically has stopped importing plastic for recycling from the ‘western’ world as of January 2018.
This might be a bit of an enormous problem if “we” were just dumping our plastic elsewhere under the guise of recycling it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pollution ... -1.4593078
We dig bigger holes now that China doesn't want it.
If we dig the holes deep enough, perhaps China will get it after all!
Just heard now we are going to burn it for power..... that sounds monumentally stupid as well. No doubt noxious fumes will be spewing out everywhere then there will be a big cancer outbreak around them.