Page 1 of 1

Ideal spraying temperature

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:53 pm
by GMahaffey
What's the ideal spraying temperature for airbrushing? I live in a climate that's really dry, with highs of 100+°F and a low of around 80°F.

Re: Ideal spraying temperature

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:58 pm
by GMahaffey
Also, when I spray Tamiya paints I use Aztek universal thinner and when it spray it makes a sputter sound but it still comes out with a good spray. It dries somewhat rough. As a side note I spray in the early morning when it's in the 80s.

Re: Ideal spraying temperature

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I have been spraying my Tamiya with Tamiya Laquer thinner or Mr Hobby Levelling thinner....smooth as heck and much nicer results.
Mix is about 50:50 but I eyeball it to that milky consistency.

Oh boy airbrushing is one of those multifactorial topics that some have super strong opinions about.
Temperature, relative humidity, barometric pressure, moon phase and astrology signs all have influence ;)

You are Arizona, so dry air and hot temperatures.
Paint is likely wanting to atomize out of the brush and begin to set really fast in the air often before it hits the plastic.
Thus a rough sandpapery feel of sprayed paint is easy to get. Adjust the distance of spray from the subject can help, trying to get the painted surface wet and not let it dry in the air. Smart to spray in the morning or late at night.
Spluttering can be partial blockage of air in the brush, paint a smidge too thick or maybe pressure a touch too low :think: I have one brush that does this to me as well but the other two spray fine with exact same set up :scratch::


So to make a short answer long, there are many factors, geography and weather environment being just a start.
It is bound to drive us all nuts

Re: Ideal spraying temperature

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:04 am
by digger303
adding flow improver and retarder can also help. I believe Mr Hobby Levelling thinner may already have some amount of those already in the mix, but adding a drop more won't hurt in those hot dry conditions.

Re: Ideal spraying temperature

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:05 am
by Twokidsnosleep
digger303 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:04 am adding flow improver and retarder can also help. I believe Mr Hobby Levelling thinner may already have some amount of those already in the mix, but adding a drop more won't hurt in those hot dry conditions.
Fair point...slowing the actual setting of the paint vs just it's delivery... yep :thumb2:

Re: Ideal spraying temperature

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:37 am
by alextheblue
Flow improver will definitely help as the main culprit in hot weather is tip drying. Another thing that can help to prevent this is to give your needle tip a quick wipe with airbrush lube. This should prevent tip drying, plus it gives me a chance to say.....always keep your tip lubed!!!! :banana: :banana:

Re: Ideal spraying temperature

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:14 am
by GMahaffey
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 pm I have been spraying my Tamiya with Tamiya Laquer thinner or Mr Hobby Levelling thinner....smooth as heck and much nicer results.
Mix is about 50:50 but I eyeball it to that milky consistency.

Oh boy airbrushing is one of those multifactorial topics that some have super strong opinions about.
Temperature, relative humidity, barometric pressure, moon phase and astrology signs all have influence ;)

You are Arizona, so dry air and hot temperatures.
Paint is likely wanting to atomize out of the brush and begin to set really fast in the air often before it hits the plastic.
Thus a rough sandpapery feel of sprayed paint is easy to get. Adjust the distance of spray from the subject can help, trying to get the painted surface wet and not let it dry in the air. Smart to spray in the morning or late at night.
Spluttering can be partial blockage of air in the brush, paint a smidge too thick or maybe pressure a touch too low :think: I have one brush that does this to me as well but the other two spray fine with exact same set up :scratch::


So to make a short answer long, there are many factors, geography and weather environment being just a start.
It is bound to drive us all nuts
I purchased Tamiya X-20a (acrylic thinner) the other day. Would the x-20a be better for it than the lacquer thinner? I thought that the lacquer thinner wouldn't work with their acrylic paints.

Re: Ideal spraying temperature

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:38 am
by Twokidsnosleep
GMahaffey wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:14 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 pm I have been spraying my Tamiya with Tamiya Laquer thinner or Mr Hobby Levelling thinner....smooth as heck and much nicer results.
Mix is about 50:50 but I eyeball it to that milky consistency.

Oh boy airbrushing is one of those multifactorial topics that some have super strong opinions about.
Temperature, relative humidity, barometric pressure, moon phase and astrology signs all have influence ;)

You are Arizona, so dry air and hot temperatures.
Paint is likely wanting to atomize out of the brush and begin to set really fast in the air often before it hits the plastic.
Thus a rough sandpapery feel of sprayed paint is easy to get. Adjust the distance of spray from the subject can help, trying to get the painted surface wet and not let it dry in the air. Smart to spray in the morning or late at night.
Spluttering can be partial blockage of air in the brush, paint a smidge too thick or maybe pressure a touch too low :think: I have one brush that does this to me as well but the other two spray fine with exact same set up :scratch::


So to make a short answer long, there are many factors, geography and weather environment being just a start.
It is bound to drive us all nuts
I purchased Tamiya X-20a (acrylic thinner) the other day. Would the x-20a be better for it than the lacquer thinner? I thought that the lacquer thinner wouldn't work with their acrylic paints.
IMHO the lacquer is FAAAR better. Tamiya acrylics work perfectly with lacquer.
I have two full X-20A bottles, hardly use it anymore and have bought more laquer thinner....and Mr Levelling thinner which is another dimension to spraying

Re: Ideal spraying temperature

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:47 am
by digger303
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:38 am
GMahaffey wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:14 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 pm I have been spraying my Tamiya with Tamiya Laquer thinner or Mr Hobby Levelling thinner....smooth as heck and much nicer results.
Mix is about 50:50 but I eyeball it to that milky consistency.

Oh boy airbrushing is one of those multifactorial topics that some have super strong opinions about.
Temperature, relative humidity, barometric pressure, moon phase and astrology signs all have influence ;)

You are Arizona, so dry air and hot temperatures.
Paint is likely wanting to atomize out of the brush and begin to set really fast in the air often before it hits the plastic.
Thus a rough sandpapery feel of sprayed paint is easy to get. Adjust the distance of spray from the subject can help, trying to get the painted surface wet and not let it dry in the air. Smart to spray in the morning or late at night.
Spluttering can be partial blockage of air in the brush, paint a smidge too thick or maybe pressure a touch too low :think: I have one brush that does this to me as well but the other two spray fine with exact same set up :scratch::


So to make a short answer long, there are many factors, geography and weather environment being just a start.
It is bound to drive us all nuts
I purchased Tamiya X-20a (acrylic thinner) the other day. Would the x-20a be better for it than the lacquer thinner? I thought that the lacquer thinner wouldn't work with their acrylic paints.
IMHO the lacquer is FAAAR better. Tamiya acrylics work perfectly with lacquer.
I have two full X-20A bottles, hardly use it anymore and have bought more lacquer thinner....and Mr Leveling thinner which is another dimension to spraying
Like to add that Mr Hobby aqueous paints behave similarly and can be mixed together with Tamiya.