Page 1 of 1

Balsa aircraft dope Help.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am
by Novasquad23
Can anyone here suggest a source or substitute for airplane dope for balsa models? I cannot find anything here in my rural grotto for love nor money due to its flammable/explosive qualities. I've wondered if watered down PVA white glue would do the job. Any ideas as to sourcing the dope or its replacement would be appreciated. :hi:

Re: Balsa aircraft dope Help.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:11 am
by digger303
Novasquad23 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am Can anyone here suggest a source or substitute for airplane dope for balsa models? I cannot find anything here in my rural grotto for love nor money due to its flammable/explosive qualities. I've wondered if watered down PVA white glue would do the job. Any ideas as to sourcing the dope or its replacement would be appreciated. :hi:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pacific-Bal ... 2483624827

Re: Balsa aircraft dope Help.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:56 am
by Novasquad23
That's the stuff. Many thanks Digger303. Now that's the Auster on the build list.

Re: Balsa aircraft dope Help.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:47 am
by GMahaffey
I have heard of the dope for models made of balsa wood but don't know what it is. My thoughts is that its the stuff you use to put the material over the wood body/wings.