Page 1 of 1
Gaps in kits Aircraft vs AFV
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 pm
by Novasquad23
I've been watching youtube build vid's lately and have noticed something that the AFV fraternity here may have the answer for. What I've seen is that AFV kits appear to have gaps around the hull around 1-2mm wide that the builders don't fill. I grant you that these gaps are not visible unless you turn the model over and look between the top of the tracks and the hull, and even then you'll need to be looking hard. They are there however. And it drives me, as an aircraft builder, slightly nuts (my wife cackles at my disbelief).
Coming from an aircraft perspective where the only acceptable gap is zero, I wonder why this isn't the case with AFV's. Have the people I've watched just been slack or is it common amongst AFV modellers? I dont know as AFV's haven't been my thing since my late teens (Tamiya Pzkw III, SAS jeep, M113, Matchbox 1/76).
There's no judgement here, just curiosity (which in the final analysis DID kill the cat). Its not idle curiosity as i'm contemplating a couple of surface to air builds (SAM-2, SAM-6) and surface to surface nukes(missiles are aircraft). And then there's a Yuri Gagarin Vostok kit that has caught my eye as well. Any tanker types care to clue me in?

Re: Gaps in kits Aircraft vs AFV
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:50 pm
by alextheblue
Not quite sure what you mean by gaps Novasquad? Some tank kits have a gap where the upper hull sits on the tub, under the sponsons. The gap is directly above the tracks and as you say, can only be seen when you turn the model upside down. In some cases, this gap is there to aid attaching the tracks, in others it's just to save on plastic. A lot of AFV modellers will fill this gap with a piece of plasti-card cut to shape. Any other gaps, such as where the lower hull joins the glacis plate for example, this will always be filled. In my experience, there's very few kits where this is a problem though.
I think the lack of "gappage" in AFV kits is more to do with a lot of the surfaces are a square fit rather than round and as such can be "persuaded" to join with a better fit.
For me, I don't have a problem if someone wants to leave a gap in a kit - plane or tank. It's their money, their kit and their time and as far as I'm concerned they can paint the thing pink and call it Mandy. Somebody once asked me, "don't you want to build an exact replica of the tank?" The answer was a resoundingly no. Modelling for me is about representation rather than replication, but each to their own.
Re: Gaps in kits Aircraft vs AFV
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:55 am
by Novasquad23
Alextheblue,
Yes it's the gap between the upper hull and the tub (Sorry I don't even know the names of parts of the hull). It was simply something I'd noticed and didn't intend making any sort of generalisation about AFV modellers. The youtubers i've watched have cut a minor corner (afterall the gap needs to be sought out deliberately on the completed kit) and i can live with that. The finished products look the part so it was a minor quibble. How other people build isn't my area (except for picking up tips so that I build better). For my part i'll fill the gap. Consider this cat killed. Thank you for enlightening me on this. My anal retentive aircraftiness is assuaged.
Re: Gaps in kits Aircraft vs AFV
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:26 am
by alextheblue
Novasquad23 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:55 am
Alextheblue,
Yes it's the gap between the upper hull and the tub (Sorry I don't even know the names of parts of the hull). It was simply something I'd noticed and didn't intend making any sort of generalisation about AFV modellers. The youtubers i've watched have cut a minor corner (afterall the gap needs to be sought out deliberately on the completed kit) and i can live with that. The finished products look the part so it was a minor quibble. How other people build isn't my area (except for picking up tips so that I build better). For my part i'll fill the gap. Consider this cat killed. Thank you for enlightening me on this. My anal retentive aircraftiness is assuaged.
Hey Novasquad. I've just re-visited my post and it does read like I was having a bit of a pop at your original comment. I apologise if this is how you took it and I can assure you that this wasn't my intention. I think you make a very valid point and this is a debated topic of conversation between AFV builders. Many think that this area should be taken care of, whilst others don't see the point. Personally, I see the merit in both arguments.
I've always had a lot of respect for aircraft builders and their skill is quite apparent. Whilst there is a lot of cross-over, aircraft builders possess a whole raft of skills that a lot of AV builders may not appreciate. Filling, sanding and masking to name just three. Sine building a few planes, I have a whole new level of respect and hopefully I can transfer some of the new things that I have learnt.
Just don't tell the other tread-heads, I'll be stripped of my tracks and thrown out of the dark side!

Re: Gaps in kits Aircraft vs AFV
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:53 am
by barrythornton

This guy has to be one of the worst culprits.
Its an old Tamiya kit, maybe at some point they wanted to fir R/C motor to it?
The fix is well documented, and theres even a downloadable template to cut out some plasticard. Not the point though, is it?
On youre original point, I`m not sure how widespread this is, hopefully rare. The Sherman is the only one I`ve seen (limited tank stash).