Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post your in progress builds here, regular build updates are encouraged

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Post Reply
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

I bought this model as a quick build just for me and as the kit had a nice brush and a nice price I purchased it from my local model shop.
Then I realised that it would fit the cold war GB.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
This will be an out of the box build but I have sent for some decals for the model so I guess that makes it a not out the box? :scratch:: :scratch:: :scratch::
Image
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

As you can see on the last entry I had given the spues a light coat of white paint as the original plan was to paint the aircraft O.T.B, as white would have been a good undercoat for the red.
I then followed the instruction stages 1-3 gluing and painting as per the guide.
The aircraft side walls were painted as per guide, but for the seat harness and padding I used Citadel Paints shown below.
Image
The Elysian green for the seat padding.
Graveyard Earth for the Headrest.
Bleached bone for the harness.
Image
I used a 10mm nut for weight, stuck in place with super glue.
MAKE SURE THE NUT IS IN THE MIDDLE allowing the fuselage halves to close tight.
Image
As you can see the instrument panel was painted Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey, once dry the decal was added.
A wash of Citadel Seraphim Sepia given to the harness and padding once the seat were assembled and glued in place.
Image
Then following stages 7 and 8 the parts were glued together.
Image
Stage 9, glue and peg the fuselage parts to each other and let dry.
Image
Then I moved to stage 13 and 14 gluing the wing bottom to the plane and then the wing tops.
Image
The air intakes have been glued on as per 15-18.
Image
The canopy was dipped in Johnsons Kleer and left to dry.
Image
Once dry they are masked with Tamiya tape and glued on with Airfix Clearfix.
Image
The blobs of blue-tac are what I use to hold the parts while gluing into position.
Thanks for dropping by. :th: :th:
Image
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

Another up date.
I spray the canopy frame black and also do some light pre-shading.
Image
Image
Image
My decals have arrived. :banana: :banana: :banana:
Image
I am doing the bottom plane two tone grey with yellow bands.
Image
Image
On with the yellow paint, I mixed a 50-50% paint Isopropyl alcohol.
YOU MUST WEAR A MASK WHEN SPRAYING THIS STUFF.
Image
Image
Once dry a coat of Tamiya clear the mask and paint the grey.
Paint the wheels silver.
Image
Thanks for dropping by. :thumb2: :thumb2:
Image
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

On with the build.
Image
Time to mask the yellow using Tamiya tape.
Image
Image
I arrive at a problem for the next part of the painting process as the instructions say Barley Grey for the underside of the plane.
I went to Vallejo for the paint and they say Barley Grey, FS36173 71.051 which is supposed to be Neutral Grey and Barley Grey.
I buy it, spray it and it is too DARK!
Image
Image
So I turn to Tamiya and pick two greys.
Image
Light Grey and Medium Sea Grey.
Image
I over spray the Vallejo paint with XF-66 Light Grey.
Image
Once dry I mask the bottom of the plane.
Image
Then spray XF-83 Medium Sea Grey over the top of the plane.
Image
This is a much better colour combination.
Once dry she is sprayed Tamiya clear.
Image
Image
When dry I will apply the decals.
Thanks for dropping by. :thumb2: :thumb2:
Image
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by alextheblue »

That's looking mighty fine! :th: :cheers2:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

alextheblue wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:06 pm That's looking mighty fine! :th: :cheers2:
Thank you, a fun and quick build.
Image
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by DBMiller »

That's a cute little spud of a plane! A very fast build as well! :thumb2:
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

DBMiller wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 pm That's a cute little spud of a plane! A very fast build as well! :thumb2:
Thank you, yes she is cute and a good contender for a 24 hour build. :banana: :banana:
Image
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

Here are the last two pictures of the Jet Provost in build thread.
The planes wheels are glued in place.
Image
Image
I will place the decals and just add a small amount of weathering and she will be done.
Thanks for dropping by. :thumb2: :thumb2:
Image
User avatar
warpedcrisis
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:48 am
Location: West Midlands U.K
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by warpedcrisis »

Cool little plane.
Nice work there :th: :th:
Last edited by warpedcrisis on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

warpedcrisis wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:40 pm Ccool little plane.
Nice work there :th: :th:
Yes she is and thank you. :th:
Image
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

Sorry not my last post, Decals on and a coat of Tamiya Clear X-22.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Thanks for dropping by. :th: :th:
Image
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by pourquoi61 »

On the last leg now so the model was given a clay wash of dark dirt.
Image
Image
Once dry it was removed using damp kitchen roll.
Image
Image
Image
The model will get a semi gloss cover tomorrow and she will be done.
I painted the exhaust Citadel Mithril Silver.
Thanks for dropping by. :th: :th:
Image
User avatar
gaz45
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1971
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Nottingham uk
Great Britain

Re: Cold War- Airfix Jet Provost.

Post by gaz45 »

Very nice little build there mate
Post Reply

Return to “Build threads”