Page 1 of 1

Poundshop Money Savers

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:31 pm
by Waylander
Hi Y'all.
Just thought I'd share a few Poundshop money savers I use to good effect.

Sponge Nail Shapers are great to use as sanding sticks, usually about 6 in a pack and not as abrasive as proper nail files and easy to cut up for those hard to reach places.
500 cocktail sticks speak for themselves.
100 Plastic shot glasses make great small throw away paint mixing pots as do the foil single baking trays, the small ones like for individual Yorkshire puddings, think you get about 50 in a pack.

Each for a quid.
Just a thought.

Re: Poundshop Money Savers

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:47 pm
by Lee
Good idea Waylander...

As well as the cocktail sticks, I also get this stuff from pound shops.....

Cotton buds (Q tips) - two boxes for a £1 usually
Massive can of hairspray (for chipping)
Cheap hobby knife set (20 blades)
3 x 1-3 ltr tuppaware tubs (storing parts before assembly)
Assorted pens, pencils and markers
Felt sheets (Multitude of uses)
Pack of 5 Plastic 50ml storage tubes (Klear, varnishes, decanted hairspary etc)


There are more, but I can't think of them now. Will add them later...

Re: Poundshop Money Savers

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:50 pm
by Paul
Similar thing, do any of you guys in the uk have home and bargains near them, you can get big kitchen rolls for 89p each as well as cocktail sticks cotton buds etc as well

Re: Poundshop Money Savers

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:49 am
by BrummieModeller
i'm always in poundland or home bargins lol i got 500 cocktail sticks for 59p bargin 8-) and i got one of them heat protector things you use in the kitchen to protect your worktop, square piece of glass £1.50 great for cutting photo etch :)

Re: Poundshop Money Savers

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:15 am
by WebbyNZ
Tea strainers/infusers are great for applying flocking and can also be cut apart to make mesh for all sorts of builds.
I also have a tray designed to make ice cubes for water bottles that I use to keep my brushes, tweezers, knvies etc organised on the bench
Toilet roll holders are also useful for hanging your masking tapes off the desk where they tend to pickup dust and dirt.

Not poundshop but tattoo ink cups make great lil mixing cups and they are really cheap.

Re: Poundshop Money Savers

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:54 am
by Bagpiper
WebbyNZ wrote:Tea strainers/infusers are great for applying flocking and can also be cut apart to make mesh for all sorts of builds.
I also have a tray designed to make ice cubes for water bottles that I use to keep my brushes, tweezers, knvies etc organised on the bench
Toilet roll holders are also useful for hanging your masking tapes off the desk where they tend to pickup dust and dirt.

Not poundshop but tattoo ink cups make great lil mixing cups and they are really cheap.
Sweet! Some great tips there mate.

Cheers
Jim