Page 1 of 1

The vehicles of Kampfgruppe Grunholz.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:11 pm
by darrengreenwood
Now this Kampfgruppe or Battle group didn't exist it's completely out of my head. Now Grunholz is what my surname translates to in German and it sounds better than Greenwood too imo. Anyway to the backstory. This Battle Group was a specialist Nightfighter unit nicknamed "Vampir" or Vampire, and was formed in Mid-1945 (yes I know the War ended in May, 1945) but this is a "what-if".Their task was to harass Soviet units behind their lines at night, hence the Nightfighting equipment. All or most of the vehicles were fitted with Infra-Red equipment to enable them to fight at night. They also had an attached infantry unit, also equipped with night fighting equipment. Being a Kampfgruppe they had a mix of equipment such as specialist Sd.Kfz.251 halftracks, some of the new PzKpfw V Panther Ausf.F (now these never entered service in real life), but its my story and I can do what I want. The unit was commanded by Major Grunholz a veteran of both the Eastern and Western Front's. The unit was decimated during the final month of 1945, and most of the survivior's going into captivity. Its commander Major Grunholz died in a Soviet prison in February, 1946 in mysterious circumstances.

I will be adding models to this thread as they are built, and as it's "what-if" anything goes, well as long they're German vehicles.

A good link here about German night fighting equipment http://fingolfen.tripod.com/irh.html

Re: The vehicles of Kampfgruppe Grunholz.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:26 pm
by barrythornton
Totally Wahn! but I like it. :th:

Re: The vehicles of Kampfgruppe Grunholz.

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 am
by digger303
darrengreenwood wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:11 pm Now this Kampfgruppe or Battle group didn't exist it's completely out of my head. Now Grunholz is what my surname translates to in German and it sounds better than Greenwood too imo. Anyway to the backstory. This Battle Group was a specialist Nightfighter unit nicknamed "Vampir" or Vampire, and was formed in Mid-1945 (yes I know the War ended in May, 1945) but this is a "what-if".Their task was to harass Soviet units behind their lines at night, hence the Nightfighting equipment. All or most of the vehicles were fitted with Infra-Red equipment to enable them to fight at night. They also had an attached infantry unit, also equipped with night fighting equipment. Their task was to harass Soviet units behind their lines. Being a Kampfgruppe they had a mix of equipment such as specialist Sd.Kfz.251 halftracks, some of the new PzKpfw V Panther Ausf.F (now these never entered service in real life), but its my story and I can do what I want. The unit was commanded by Major Grunholz a veteran of both the Eastern and Western Front's. The unit was decimated during the final month of 1945, and most of the survivior's going into captivity. Its commander Major Grunholz died in a Soviet prison in February, 1946 in mysterious circumstances.

I will be adding models to this thread as they are built, and as it's "what-if" anything goes, well as long they're German vehicles.

A good link here about German night fighting equipment http://fingolfen.tripod.com/irh.html
I'm not sure whether I can approve this Darren, it stray's a long way from accepted truth or the normal what if timeline. :hand:
Yep we all took a vote and I'm sorry , but its a no go area :eeek: .... you'll have to shut it down Darren the minority have spoken.... :shhh: :tongue: :tongue: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a cool idea :clap: :clap: ..looking forward to the updates :th: :th: :th: :cheers2:
commander Major Grunholz will need a newly struck medal awarded posthumously of course :thumb2: