Page 1 of 1

Airbrushes

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:30 pm
by Magpie2
Hi all.
I own two airbrushes.
The first one I purchased after a recommendation is a Harder & Steenbeck “Evolution AL Plus” £200 + price range.
The second one I purchased after watching Paul’s review on the subject is the ultimate Apex,
Under £100.
The latter performs like a dream as Paul said it would.
The Evolution is a complete nightmare! Clogs as soon Soon as I start using it, tip dry is horrendous.
I’m using the same technique on both airbrushes, the same ratio of paint thinning , the same paints.
Anyone else finding the same problems?

Re: Airbrushes

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:30 pm
by Paul
It’s the type of airbrush. The Harders work better with thin paints like lacquer and inks. You just cannot beat the Apex for ease of use

Re: Airbrushes

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:38 pm
by Magpie2
Cheers Paul
Will keep that in mind.

Re: Airbrushes

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 am
by Tomcat64
Yep - what Paul said - the Apex is definitely the most forgiving airbrush I've used in the short time I've been spraying paint around.

Re: Airbrushes

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:13 am
by digger303
Magpie2 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:30 pm Hi all.
I own two airbrushes.
The first one I purchased after a recommendation is a Harder & Steenbeck “Evolution AL Plus” £200 + price range.
The second one I purchased after watching Paul’s review on the subject is the ultimate Apex,
Under £100.
The latter performs like a dream as Paul said it would.
The Evolution is a complete nightmare! Clogs as soon Soon as I start using it, tip dry is horrendous.
I’m using the same technique on both airbrushes, the same ratio of paint thinning , the same paints.
Anyone else finding the same problems?
what paint are you using. I have a h&s evolution and don't have any real problems. I use Tamiya, Mr Hobby and life colour mainly. All thinned with about 20 -30 % thinner. Sometimes add some flow medium and retarder.

Re: Airbrushes

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:45 pm
by alextheblue
I've got an H&S Evo as well as an Infinity and I used to have a problem with blockages etc, especially with the Evo. After much fiddling and tweaking I managed to fix the problem by thinning the paint more than I usually would. At least 50%, but 60 or more in a lot of cases. Works a treat, although you may need to turn the pressure down a tad with the thinner paints.