Page 1 of 1

color of spitfire roundels

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:58 pm
by Garion77
Hi all,
I'm currently planning to building 2 spitfires in a near futur and I would like to try to paint the roundels myself instead of using decals...
but I'm wondering what color to use, preferably in tamiya...or Vallejo
Seems that for the blue either tamely X3 Royal Blue or XF-17 Flat sea blue
For the red and yellow and I really don't know
Thanks for the help

Re: color of spitfire roundels

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:09 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
What spitfire kits are you building my French Canadian friend???
How is your pup?? Mine turned 6 yesterday🐶

Re: color of spitfire roundels

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:22 pm
by Garion77
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:09 pm What spitfire kits are you building my French Canadian friend???
How is your pup?? Mine turned 6 yesterday🐶
Hi ! how are you doing ?
Against all odds she's still doing great ! She's starting to show a few symptoms but nothing too bad She has medication to help with the pain but I almost never give her any. She's mostly less energic then she used to be. And became quite anxious :(

For my spitfire projets, it's going to be a Mk VIII and Mk IX both from Eduard. The Mk IX is going to be in normal scheme but I'm going to give a try at first with resin by adding gun bay and may be engine too.. (don't know if I have enough experience for the engines :think: ) But the Mk IX would be the second one I build.
the other one would the Grey Nurse version, that an another did on this forum. It's from the RAAF and in this one I would add the resin cockpit (to get practice) and try a bit of scratch building. I've been inspired for this one by the Scale-o-thon youtube channel that I love !

But I first have to finish my bf109

Re: color of spitfire roundels

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:30 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Sounds like great projects..I am not any help with roundels...I use decals!

I hope Cloe hangs in there. My Bernese good Coco is great, just awaiting the snow to come ❄️
We wish you pup much love and a happy holiday season to you and your family🌲
ImageImageImage

Re: color of spitfire roundels

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm
by Garion77
Really beautiful ! You don't have any snow yet ? ;) We already have a lot. And we lost a bit because of rain last week.
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:30 pm Sounds like great projects..I am not any help with roundels...I use decals!

I hope Cloe hangs in there. My Bernese good Coco is great, just awaiting the snow to come ❄️
We wish you pup much love and a happy holiday season to you and your family🌲
ImageImageImage

Re: color of spitfire roundels

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:59 pm
by sheppsea
Mr Paint does Marking Red, Yellow and Blue - not sure if they're worth checking?

http://mrpaint.sk/farby/lietadla/RAF?page=2

Re: color of spitfire roundels

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:11 pm
by Garion77
Thanks ! I heard great things about this brand but as I said... preference for tamiya, or Vallejo in second choice, because I have easy access to them where I live. All The other brands are quite hard for me to get because of shipping.
sheppsea wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:59 pm Mr Paint does Marking Red, Yellow and Blue - not sure if they're worth checking?

http://mrpaint.sk/farby/lietadla/RAF?page=2

Re: color of spitfire roundels

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:27 pm
by das84
Here are the Tamiya mixes I've used for RAF roundels in the past

Roundel Red - 75% Red (XF-7 ), 25% NATO Brown (XF-68) or Red Brown (XF-64)
Roundel Blue - 95% Blue (XF-8), 5% Black (XF-1)
Roundel Yellow - Yellow (XF-3) with a tiny amount of Red (XF-7)