Page 1 of 1

May be an odd topic or question...

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 pm
by barryf1fan
Obviously this is a community that does scale modelling. I do R/C racing, video game racing, and I enjoy doing a model or so a year. Do an ok job with them, mostly just enjoy the quiet and building side of it, even if they don't turn out that great (have an airbrush and rarely use it).

I came across a guy that was selling some models of a friend of his who had passed away 6 month prior. A LOT of models, in the neighborhood of 400+. Several of these models were ones I have or always wanted, ie., Casey Stoner's LCR Honda RC211V MotoGP bike - which is astronomical on ebay these days (disc. model) and several others. In other words, most these models were expensive as kits and are no longer available.

Is its kosher to pick these up and display them, not as my own [that I built] but as a racing fan...??

It was also hard to see so much "work" and inspiration of someone's life, which I seem to share, just be sold off on a Facebook post for practically nothing. I ended up buying almost 70 of these models and gave the guy a bit more than he was asking, even though they weren't his (he claimed he built them, but after about 3 questions I knew he didn't... whole 'nother story :) )
Was really disappointed that he didn't share with me about his friend, but I understand that is personal.

Anyway, what do you all think? I almost felt like I was preserving a bit of something, even if I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. And if this is a silly topic then I apologize... I just couldn't see all those kits go in the trash or to someone that was going to just sell the cases (they were all in cases, which were worth more than what he was asking per model... :think: )

Re: May be an odd topic or question...

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 pm
by barryf1fan
btw, here is an example:

Image

You can see some of my "kits" in the background.

Image

Re: May be an odd topic or question...

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:02 pm
by barrythornton
Dont see any problem, as long as you are not passing them off as something you built.
They are just for your display, so whats the difference in what you have bought ........ and someone who buys Die-Cast models and displays them ?
Or for that matter , there seem to be a few people , who like the subject matter , be it a tank , a ship or a bike/car but just dont have whats required to build the kit. They are in the market for these
`pro built` kits that you see on E-bay.

Re: May be an odd topic or question...

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:08 pm
by Gary30
No problem for me, just put yourself in the old guys shoes, he’d probably be glad his old models were being displayed somewhere and taken care of rather than just thrown in a box never to see the light of day again.

Re: May be an odd topic or question...

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:19 pm
by barryf1fan
Thanks guys, and yes, I would never pass these off as "my own". The seller had several people contact him about the cases, he passed on those people. He said he felt really good about me having them as when I got there i was like, "HOLY Cow, you got this, AW MAN, you have that"!! I was in my GTI, so it was tough to narrow it down... I tried to buy them all, but just didn't have the cash on me. He ended up selling the rest for really cheap. Kinda felt bad I couldn't save them all - he even texted me and said the guy only wanted the cases. :wall:

I am absolutely over the moon that I got these, all race cars/bikes, and these already mean more to me than any of my die-cast models (have a few, maybe 6). I am meeting the guy in the near future to get some parts that he had in a box, some of these models were in pretty sad shape, and have repaired most of them - wings, mirrors, cowlings, etc., etc., had fallen off. Some of the parts he put in a shoe box that he forgot and I didn't notice it in the case.

Anyway, thanks again. And I have a couple of pics on here of my stuff - but just recently joined and need to get my airbrush back out and going, it's just so much better than rattle cans and paint brushes.

Re: May be an odd topic or question...

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:19 pm
by theoneaeon
Even though Im new here I would agree with the two comments above. I don't remember reading anything in the forum rules that you can not share pictures of models you own.

Re: May be an odd topic or question...

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:23 am
by Twokidsnosleep
I bought a couple of models from a friend's daughter after he died of Ca.
I did some clean up and fixed anything broken or missing on them, but respect how he built them and display them as his
Mine will all go to the dumpster when i kick the bucket :tongue:

Re: May be an odd topic or question...

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:34 am
by kiwigav
Gary30 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:08 pm No problem for me, just put yourself in the old guys shoes, he’d probably be glad his old models were being displayed somewhere and taken care of rather than just thrown in a box never to see the light of day again.
Ditto


go for it mate they deserve to be on display

Re: May be an odd topic or question...

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:38 pm
by Richy
I agree with the other guys , I think he would be well pleased someone else appriciated and wanted to display the kits.

Cheers
Richy