Will be starting a Battle of Britain aircraft collection in the coming year. What do you guys think is the best all around kit in 1/48 scale I can get of a Hurricane, I have never built one or paid any attention to the aircraft type?
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:10 am
by Lee
Definitely NOT the Italeri offering!
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 am
by Paul
Yes no matter how a good a review someone gives it don't bother with the italeri
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:47 pm
by ModelingMatt
So I found Lee's inbox review of the Italeri kit and nothing really bad about the kit jumps out at me. I'm assuming it's been built and some problems were encountered that the ISM chiefs would not recommend it for a personal collection. Can you elaborate Lee on why I want to steer clear of this kit.
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:51 pm
by Paul
ModelingMatt wrote:So I found Lee's inbox review of the Italeri kit and nothing really bad about the kit jumps out at me. I'm assuming it's been built and some problems were encountered that the ISM chiefs would not recommend it for a personal collection. Can you elaborate Lee on why I want to steer clear of this kit.
Lee had problems with the wings if i remember rightly, something to do with the way italeri has designed the way the kit is built.
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:01 pm
by Meatloafsandwichs
If you can try to get the old Airfix 1/48 scale hurricane mk1,still available online.not a bad kit pretty simple too.
Hope that helps.
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:45 pm
by Colin
Meatloafsandwichs wrote:If you can try to get the old Airfix 1/48 scale hurricane mk1,still available online.not a bad kit pretty simple too.
Hope that helps.
Agreed with that, whilst I was into 1/48 I did a fair bit of research into the best 1/48 Hurricane kit and nearly always feedback was for the older Airfix kit in distinctive shape accuracy especially, now that I prefer 1/32 for such kits I have the Pacific Coast Models MK I Hurricane that is apparently very good in shape and proportions but not really a beginners kit ... mine has stalled three quarters way through for a couple of years now and I must get it finished.
I'm really surprised the way the Hurricane has largely been ignored by modelling company's, it really was (arguably) as good as the Spitfire in the BoB and a very important historical Aircraft.
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm
by Lee
It's a complete pig the way it goes together. The engine housing at the front = stupid. The gun placements on the wings ridiculous!
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:10 pm
by Nige201980
Lee wrote:It's a complete pig the way it goes together. The engine housing at the front = stupid. The gun placements on the wings ridiculous!
That good then Lee your really selling it to me haha.
need to get a good hurricane in 1:48 so ill just keep looking nearly picked this up yesterday glad i didn't now
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:23 am
by Dunno
Agree about the Airfix 1/48 just finished mine. Had to fill all main seams around the wing roots. Wheel assemblies are to short and look like they have been cut off when in place. Don't get me started about the decals! Only positive was the price.
Re: Hurricane ?
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 am
by Dunno
Is a recent upload showing my completed model and some of the steps I used. Gives you a good idea of the quality or lack of, of the Airfix model.