Page 1 of 1

Stripping a body back to Plastic

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:57 am
by kiwigav
Hi all, this has probably been asked numerous times...

I've had a disaster with my 2k clear coat reacting with decals and Tamiya spay colour Base coat. I'm looking to get some replacement decals but now I'm needing to strip off the clear and base colour.

What's the recommended product/ concoction to do this effectively..

Re: Stripping a body back to Plastic

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:23 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Mileage varies here depending on person
My go to is gel oven cleaner...fresh lemon scent Easy Off
I have , ummm, screwed up a fair number of paint jobs so have experienced this ;)

Re: Stripping a body back to Plastic

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:28 pm
by jmurphy18
Gee, wish I had know this! Spent hours striping that Nimso R-34 with Laquor thinner and a respirator on my back deck :eeek:
Best of luck to you KiwiGav, not a fun job :(

Re: Stripping a body back to Plastic

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:26 pm
by Kaj45rpm
Brake fluid and an old toothbrush.

Re: Stripping a body back to Plastic

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:39 pm
by JamieC
About to attempt this for first time on a Red Arrows Hawk that for some reason Future refuses to dry on. Any tips would be gratefully recieved.

It's painted with Hataka red line acrylic under the Future if that makes any difference.

Re: Stripping a body back to Plastic

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:47 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
JamieC wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:39 pm About to attempt this for first time on a Red Arrows Hawk that for some reason Future refuses to dry on. Any tips would be gratefully recieved.

It's painted with Hataka red line acrylic under the Future if that makes any difference.
Wear gloves or you will look like a psychopathic axe murderer
:lol:

Re: Stripping a body back to Plastic

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 am
by niro750
jmurphy18 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:28 pm Gee, wish I had know this! Spent hours striping that Nimso R-34 with Laquor thinner and a respirator on my back deck :eeek:
Best of luck to you KiwiGav, not a fun job :(
Hard work and it can possibly soften the plastic causing it to break easy

Re: Stripping a body back to Plastic

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:24 pm
by jmurphy18
niro750. I am a bit of a newbe here and learned the hard way on this build. I will remember this and Scott's Tip on the Easyoff ! Let me tell you hrs with Laquor this and sandpaper was NOT fun :). Thanks so much for that additional information!! HAGD