Page 1 of 1

Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:12 am
by barryf1fan
Now that the Benetton F1 is done, I picked this Integra up to build up for my son. He has an Integra and thought he would like this as he has said he would like a model of his car. So...

Gonna build this OOB and with Tamiya TS spray cans and brushed paints.

Image

Image

Image

Started fitting the body parts up - front and rear bumpers and the rear deck wing. This definitely not a Tamiya kit, it's not bad but definitely spoiled by the fit of Tamiya kits. Spent about three hours fitting and filling with CA glue.

Image

Image

Image

Ready for the first few coats of primer. :thumb1:

Thanks for looking!!

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:19 am
by Twokidsnosleep
That’s an interesting subject I haven’t seen before
This should be a cool build :thumb2:
Always like something different

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm
by barryf1fan
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:19 am That’s an interesting subject I haven’t seen before
This should be a cool build :thumb2:
Always like something different
Hey Scott, thanks for the comment! :thumb2:
I'm surprised no one has commented on the Tamiya Benetton B188 I finished up, complete with basket-weave!! :D It's a striking paint scheme and kind of disappointed that no one has said a thing. Not that I need validation, just think it's strange at the number of views and zero comments. :think: Anyway...

Well, looking at it further, it looks to be a Fujimi. You can see that on the instruction sheet in the top right corner. I wasn't sure what the brand was :scratch:: :lol: :lol: Yeah, this will be an interesting build as my limited skill set and I have only built Tamiya kits... and this kit doesn't look to be on the new side it looks to be about 10-15 years old.

Also, the wheels are chromed and his are not, they are a painted silver color. So, want to match that and wonder what is the best way to get the chrome off, like the least volatile way to try first?? Have never stripped chrome off before and a bit nervous about ruining the wheels. If you have a tried and true way to get it off, read: the easiest way, please throw in it here.

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:35 am
by barryf1fan
Got the body wet sanded and primed today. Got several parts de-seamed and sanded back as well, test fit several parts and put the 4 pieces that make up the exhaust on the car. Not a lot done,
but still needing a recommendation to remove the chrome plating off the wheels, please

The Tamiya Fine white primer went on beautiful and smooth. Put 4 coats on to get all the little crevices and crannies covered (little more annoying with spray can - I think I sprayed about 2/3 of the paint sprayed into the atmosphere).

Image

And again, any advice on the chrome stripping would be appreciated. :thumb1:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:27 pm
by jmurphy18
Barry, nice build and great idea building a kit for your son! Looking sweet so far.

Stripping. I have only done it once and I used EZ Off oven cleaner I got from Kroger. The yellow can. I have a blue can also. Yellow is good fro stripping paint. I am going to use it today as I goofed the paint on my Skyline but not adding enough primer to cover the black
Stripping can take a few coats. I normally spray into a Ziplock bag and use a rubber glove. Warning the stuff burns like a mother if you get it on your bare skin!

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:01 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Easy Off is my go to as well...I get the gel, lemon scent stuff
It will take chrome off like a house on fire
Image

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:55 am
by barryf1fan
Have been able to plop down in the man-cave to work on my son's "car" a little the last couple of nights.

All the parts are painted up and got the body clear coated. Only thing left is the wheels, which still need to be stripped of the chrome and painted. Oh, and I forgot about the mirrors!! :lol:

Body was primed in Tamiya Fine White and then laid down about 5 coats of TS-76 Mica Silver, and cleared with 6 coats of TS-65 Pearl Clear. Looking pretty good... :roll:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Still need to put a wash on the chassis and paint the window rubbers, finish up the side mirrors and do the wheels. I hope he (my son) likes this - he loves his little Acura Integra. :ugeek:
I'm ready to start the Hasagawa Nissan R91C that's waiting in the wings. ;)

Also, my airbrush and compressor should be here tomorrow, then it's down to just ordering the spray booth. :thumb1:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:10 am
by newjerseydamo
Looking good!

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:32 am
by Gary30
You're gonna LOVE your Airbrush, it really is a game changer, pick a cheap (rubbish) kit out of your stash and use it as a test mule, paint the heck out of it, testing your pressures and thinning ratios, you soon get the hang of it and figure out if your paint is too thin/thick or you're pressure is way off. Then you can move on to something you actually care about with a bit of confidence and you'll smash it out of the park.

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:43 am
by barryf1fan
Gary30 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:32 am You're gonna LOVE your Airbrush, it really is a game changer, pick a cheap (rubbish) kit out of your stash and use it as a test mule, paint the heck out of it, testing your pressures and thinning ratios, you soon get the hang of it and figure out if your paint is too thin/thick or you're pressure is way off. Then you can move on to something you actually care about with a bit of confidence and you'll smash it out of the park.
Thanks Gary, good advice there... I've got a couple of Revell kits that weren't really very expensive at all... so they will be the "rats" in my new experiment. Hoping to put the order in for the spray booth next week sometime.
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:01 pm Easy Off is my go to as well...I get the gel, lemon scent stuff
It will take chrome off like a house on fire
Image


Thanks Scott, the Easy-Off worked like magic. Sprayed it on, waited 10 minutes, and washed it off and chrome plating gone. Can now get back to it. Thanks :thumb1:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:46 am
by Twokidsnosleep
barryf1fan wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:43 am
Gary30 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:32 am You're gonna LOVE your Airbrush, it really is a game changer, pick a cheap (rubbish) kit out of your stash and use it as a test mule, paint the heck out of it, testing your pressures and thinning ratios, you soon get the hang of it and figure out if your paint is too thin/thick or you're pressure is way off. Then you can move on to something you actually care about with a bit of confidence and you'll smash it out of the park.
Thanks Gary, good advice there... I've got a couple of Revell kits that weren't really very expensive at all... so they will be the "rats" in my new experiment. Hoping to put the order in for the spray booth next week sometime.
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:01 pm Easy Off is my go to as well...I get the gel, lemon scent stuff
It will take chrome off like a house on fire
Image


Thanks Scott, the Easy-Off worked like magic. Sprayed it on, waited 10 minutes, and washed it off and chrome plating gone. Can now get back to it. Thanks :thumb1:
Cheers :cheers2:
Glad it worked for you :D

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:42 am
by pikos
really nice build up to now mate. keep showing the progress as some of us are using these posts as our guides for our builds

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 am
by Gary30
You don’t necessarily NEED a booth to start practising, especially with acrylics, I only tend to use my booth when spraying the really stinky paints now, I always use a mask though and spray in a well ventilated area, I would be too eager to start playing about to wait for my booth to be delivered....maybe that’s why I always ruin my builds by rushing to get them over the line :wall: :lol:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:08 pm
by barryf1fan
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:46 am Cheers :cheers2:
Glad it worked for you :D
:cheers2: back atcha, man! I was so stinking nervous about ruining the wheels I had put it off. Glad it worked though. :banana:
pikos wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:42 am really nice build up to now mate. keep showing the progress as some of us are using these posts as our guides for our builds
thank you, sir. I had kinda lost my mojo a bit... and the stripping of the chrome had me nervous. Got a lot of C.R.A.P. to do this weekend but can hopefully get back at it next week.
Gary30 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 am You don’t necessarily NEED a booth to start practising, especially with acrylics, I only tend to use my booth when spraying the really stinky paints now, I always use a mask though and spray in a well ventilated area, I would be too eager to start playing about to wait for my booth to be delivered....maybe that’s why I always ruin my builds by rushing to get them over the line :wall: :lol:
Don't really have anywhere in the house to spray paint, I messed around with it some last weekend. I guess I acquired more patience than I realized by having to use the spray cans the last year or so. :roll: :lol:

I thought about moving it out to the garage this last weekend, but just didn't get around to it... and now it's too cold, it's about 35 degrees and the high is only supposed to be ~50... plus we're having a graduation party for my wife today.

And, fwiw, I haven't seen any of your "ruined" builds yet. You must not post those up. :thumb2: :lol:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:54 pm
by barryf1fan
Have gotten quite a bit done (for me) to the Honda Integra, er, Acura RSX..., and am looking at being able to finish this one up in the next week or so.

Was able to finish up the interior, and while it looks like his interior - it's a bit unimpressive as it is pretty much all black. I need to work on being able to utilize similar, but different, colors to get more interest out of the "subject". So, made some mental notes as to using different shades for variance.

Also, used the recommended Easy-Off method to remove the Chrome off the wheels. Cheers Scott & Murph!! Appreciate the tip!! :cheers2: :cheers2:

In the process of painting the window "rubbers" and doing some detailing, but it's coming along. :wall: Have a couple of "damn it's", but it's getting better. I will say that the car color and his wheel color is spot on to his car though... so glad I stripped the chrome off the wheels as the Fujimi chrome on this old kit was unimpressive, to say the least.

Image

Image

Thanks for looking :hi:
And hope to have this one done soon!

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:17 pm
by Gary30
Sweet! Paint job on the body looks awesome

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:21 am
by Kevthemodeller
Coming alone very nicely :th:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:51 am
by barryf1fan
Not a ton done, but was able to do some detail bits on the Acura. :lol:
I polished the body up and painted the rear tail light lenses, tried to touch up the shocking job I did on the window rubbers and also painted the black on the "glass". A few pics and then a question as I think I ruined the glass.

Image

Wheels de-chromed and painted the right color to match his car! :banana:

Image

Image


And here is the issue . . .

Image

See the smudge there at the bottom left and the "spot" at the bottom right?? I royally screwed up the glass on this thing. Do you guys have any tips or tricks to get the paint off without completely ruining the clear plastic. I'm at a loss on how to fix it. :wall:

Was really starting to pick up some steam on this one and it's pretty close now - just need to get the mirrors painted (forgot them) and it will be pretty much done...

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 am
by KalebB
The car is looking great so far!! :thumb1:

As far as the glass goes, I've seen some suggest sanding with extremely fine sandpaper and then dipping it in pledge floor cleaner.

However I would differ to someone used to building cars as I'm mostly an armor Modeller

Cheers :cheers2:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:14 am
by digger303
thinners ?
I have heard a small amount of toothpaste on a q tip can polish the paint out.

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:38 am
by Hawkmoon
:thumb1: Looks good to me and nice work.

As for the boo boo on the screen take a small brush and some pain't thiners or airbrush cleaner. Dab a very small amount onto the blemish and when it starts to lift use a cotton bud to remove the mark. Continue to do this until the paint has gone. Allow to dry and if there is still a water mark mask off the ainted area and use micromesh to polish the area.

Another method would be to mask off the painted area and just use micromesh to remove the mark.

A tip for next time you mask off a screen for painting. Mask off as per normal then brush clearcote along the edges of the tape. Allow to dry then spray as normal. If you have sealed the edge properly you should get on need through.

Andy

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:39 am
by Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:38 am :thumb1: Looks good to me and nice work.

As for the boo boo on the screen take a small brush and some pain't thiners or airbrush cleaner. Dab a very small amount onto the blemish and when it starts to lift use a cotton bud to remove the mark. Continue to do this until the paint has gone. Allow to dry and if there is still a water mark mask off the painted area and use micromesh to polish the area.

Another method would be to mask off the painted area and just use micromesh to remove the mark.

A tip for next time you mask off a screen for painting. Mask off as per normal then brush clearcote along the edges of the tape. Allow to dry then spray as normal. If you have sealed the edge properly you should get on need through.

Andy

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:42 am
by Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:39 am
Hawkmoon wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:38 am :thumb1: Looks good to me and nice work.

As for the boo boo on the screen take a small brush and some pain't thiners or airbrush cleaner. Dab a very small amount onto the blemish and when it starts to lift use a cotton bud to remove the mark. Continue to do this until the paint has gone. Allow to dry and if there is still a water mark mask off the painted area and use micromesh to polish the area.

Another method would be to mask off the painted area and just use micromesh to remove the mark.

A tip for next time you mask off a screen for painting. Mask off as per normal then brush clearcote along the edges of the tape. Allow to dry then spray as normal. If you have sealed the edge properly you should get no bleed through.

Andy

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:37 pm
by barryf1fan
Hawkmoon wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:38 am :thumb1: Looks good to me and nice work.

As for the boo boo on the screen take a small brush and some pain't thiners or airbrush cleaner. Dab a very small amount onto the blemish and when it starts to lift use a cotton bud to remove the mark. Continue to do this until the paint has gone. Allow to dry and if there is still a water mark mask off the ainted area and use micromesh to polish the area.

Another method would be to mask off the painted area and just use micromesh to remove the mark.

A tip for next time you mask off a screen for painting. Mask off as per normal then brush clearcote along the edges of the tape. Allow to dry then spray as normal. If you have sealed the edge properly you should get on need through.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I'll try that over the long weekend - would like to get this one done.

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:40 pm
by barryf1fan
digger303 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:14 am thinners ?
I have heard a small amount of toothpaste on a q tip can polish the paint out.
I'll prob try this one first... this sounds easy enough. :thumb1:

Thanks for the tip Digger!

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:43 am
by barryf1fan
Thanks for the tips guys... been working on the glass and it's looking a bit better. Will keep messing with it.

Was able to work a little on it tonight after all the fam fell asleep (all over the house :lol: :lol: ) and am getting close to the finish line with this one. Need to get my booth vented so I can finish spraying the mirrors and mount them up.

Here's a little progress though.

Image

Image

:thumb2:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:38 am
by Gary30
How about a light smoke over the rear and side glass to simulate tinted windows? Might help hide the blemish.

Then convince your son to get his windows tinted before you present him with the finished model :lol:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:12 pm
by barryf1fan
Gary30 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:38 am How about a light smoke over the rear and side glass to simulate tinted windows? Might help hide the blemish.

Then convince your son to get his windows tinted before you present him with the finished model :lol:
That is an excellent idea... his car has slightly tinted windows anyway. Thank you, sir, now I just need to get my airbrush booth done up. :thumb2:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 pm
by barryf1fan
Well, finished this one up last night (bar the front license plate, that I completely forgot to paint-will do though) and am not really pleased with it. Several mistakes on it that I are of the "I should've known better" variety. But, is what it is, and hopefully my kid will like it. It looks pretty good from a distance, one of those 10 footer paint jobs on a real car. :lol:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Thanks for looking, and following along.

Next up was gonna be the Nissan R91CP, but I may do the Revell Corvette C7R I picked up thanks to Murph's stellar blue one. I'll be doing the Corvette for my son too - but haven't decided which it will be. Whichever, it will be the guinea pig using my new AB setup. :thumb1:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:47 pm
by KalebB
Looks good bub

And hey most people own cars with a "good from 10 feet" paint job so maybe it's just more realistic :lol:

Cheers bud :cheers2:

Re: Modulo Honda Integra Type R (actually it's a Fujimi)

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:12 pm
by Gary30
Sweet! Turned out great in the end, he'll love it I'm sure.

PS Do the Nissan next :thumb2: