Page 1 of 1
buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:39 pm
by Meliodas2019
Hi all,
I am just getting back into modelling and reliased I probably need to invest in some new tools
I am just looking at files and unsure about what to get seem some metal ones, or sticks/pads
however i did see this set
https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Flex ... gI_XvD_BwE
and wondered what people thought or if anyone had any other suggestions
Re: buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:56 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
So, ya
This website's owner runs a family business that sells modelling products. He is not a big no name, faceless conglomerate but a modeller.
They have a great line of sanders that I do recommend and use myself, especially the "thinny sticks"
https://www.umpretail.com/collections/sanders
Re: buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:04 pm
by Meliodas2019
awesome thanks Scott ill get some of those

Re: buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:08 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Meliodas2019 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:04 pm
awesome thanks Scott ill get some of those
Cheers, you wont be disappointed
A multi pack is good so you can try a few shapes
What kid of subjects do you build?? That might have some influence on what to get
Re: buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:10 pm
by Tat2bhoy
Re: buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:12 pm
by Meliodas2019
thanks again both for the guidance
I mainly looking to build WW2 tanks (German & British)...but maybe a few others, once back in the swing will branch to aircraft
Re: buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:20 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Meliodas2019 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:12 pm
thanks again both for the guidance
I mainly looking to build WW2 tanks (German & British)...but maybe a few others, once back in the swing will branch to aircraft
Yes good stuff
Metal files are helpful and the cheap Chinese ones are good enough..at some point I might get a good set of Swiss metal files
Re: buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:50 pm
by digger303
I recommend a good set of small diamond files like these
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/183771776464? ... BaEALw_wcB
Tamiya files are good, but large-ish size wise and pricey
Do not buy the el cheapest needle files these are made to a very low quality and will not make your life better.
Re: buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:27 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
digger303 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:50 pm
I recommend a good set of small diamond files like these
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/183771776464? ... BaEALw_wcB
Tamiya files are good, but large-ish size wise and pricey
Do not buy the el cheapest needle files these are made to a very low quality and will not make your life better.
k, those are still cheap diamond needle files.
Don't even start looking for the Swiss made ones with the stamp on them
Just don't
Re: buying files...
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:45 pm
by digger303
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:27 pm
digger303 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:50 pm
I recommend a good set of small diamond files like these
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/183771776464? ... BaEALw_wcB
Tamiya files are good, but large-ish size wise and pricey
Do not buy the el cheapest needle files these are made to a very low quality and will not make your life better.
k, those are still cheap diamond needle files.
Don't even start looking for the Swiss made ones with the stamp on them
Just don't
Point taken.
The diamond files that come as a boxed set with 3 different grades are a step up from those rolled metal versions that don't even have all the little file edges properly formed.
Swiss made maybe a step too far...

....Wait until I win lotto
