Page 1 of 1
How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:28 am
by AlbertD
After looking through the what's in your stash thread I began to wonder how people decide what to build next. I'm fairly new as an adult modeler and have been choosing my next build based on what I want to learn how to do or improve on. On my next build I want to try some realistic chipping on an aircraft. For this I decided that my next build will be an old Academy 1/48 P-38J in OD. I'm going to try the hairspray method. While I'm at it I'll throw in my first shot at invasion stripes.
How do you guys decide?
Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 am
by Twokidsnosleep
It is a very good question
Especially hard to decide when you have, ahem, 200 or so kits
I lose the interest I had when the kit was first purchased.
So this fall, Got bogged trying to do a Halloween figure in time for October 31...didn’t get there
Then I stopped modelling for a month b/c didn’t want to start something else...catch 22.
It took a fine gentleman from ISM Forum,
@Tomcat64 to suggest packing that kit up until next fall and starting in on the helicopter buddy build that started in December.
BOOM
on goes the mojo and I am modelling like mad again
In short, I find the forum can be very motivating for me...not prizes and deadlines, just the fun of interactions.
Other than that I build and buy what catches my fancy...maybe too much

Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:09 am
by barryf1fan
This is a really good question... for anyone but me - there is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to what I build "next".
[Pretty much sums me up nicely]

Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:58 am
by KalebB
Honestly I just lean down under the desk and look at the stash, first thing that catches my attention the most becomes the next build haha
Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:00 am
by AlbertD
Maybe I put too much thought into it.
Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:02 am
by Gary30
I’ve got the best part of 40 kits now, but I’ve already decided on my next two builds, and they are the two kits I’ve bought most recently, I didn’t even consider what kits I already had, just decided I am going to buy two new kits to build

Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:09 pm
by Daniel
Just look at the stash and chose one.
Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:25 pm
by RangerNeil
For me - it will be a case of close eyes, reach out and build whatever comes to hand first!!

Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:25 pm
by Quax
I don't have a stash, I go looking for what takes my fancy at the time or to fit with a SIG\GB. That being said I do have a 1\48 Tamiya He219 but it's a plane I've always loved and I'm too scared of cocking it up
Paul
Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:03 am
by BigoleDog
for me, I really got tired of seeing my minis that i bought years ago still sitting in their box. I decided that I was going to make it my goal to get at least 98% of them built. From Black Friday til 12/31, I built over hundred (maybe closer to 150) minis. As far How to go about choosing though. I would say it would depend on what you are trying to accomplish and go from there.
Re: How do you decide your next build?
Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:41 am
by BobM
I try to follow the GBs and SIGs and find something in my small stash. If not, I buy something I find interesting.