Page 1 of 2
1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:05 am
by Gary30
I've decided this is going to be my next build, I really enjoyed building the Ducati 888 last year, so I'm going to have a good go at this modern Tamiya offering, and since Paul has seemingly let his YouTube build videos slip for this one, I suppose I'm going to have to fly solo

How inconsiderate of him!
I know Marquez divides opinion sometimes, but I can't help but admire him for the way he came on the scene and changed the game doing things with a bike that defies physics, so I'm going to enjoy building this in his honour.
I've not started it yet, but just been getting the parts and paints together:
I'm sure you've all seen the box art before, but here's mine:
I aslo picked up the fork set:
For paint, I'm using Mr Hobby #171 and #173 for the Fluroescent Red and Orange respectively, and various Tamiya LP's for the rest, Pro-Range 2K over the top.
Looking forward to getting started on it when I get 5 minutes spare, hoping this post will spur me on to make some time this week! I will update with more photos in due course as I know that's what you're all here for!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:41 pm
by Hawkmoon
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm
by barryf1fan
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 pm
by ryan81
This is certainly on my list of bikes to do too - looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:16 am
by Twokidsnosleep
This one is I the stash on my To do list as well
Good luck to you, will be following along

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:45 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Got this one in my stash, looking forward to seeing it come together

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:50 pm
by Gary30
Thanks guys! No pressure then yeah?
Hoping....and I stress HOPING....to make a start on this tomorrow, who knew that time itself was the most precious commodity, by a huge margin!
Thanks for the support though, appreciate it.
I’m going to opt to polish this one with Paul’s super secret sticky polish, I don’t usually polish my 2K but I’m going to try with this one....what could possibly go wrong right?!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 pm
by Delticfan78
Hi Gary, I'll be following your build with interest, I'm new to the forum and modeling, I'm also building a tamiya honda rc213v, and really struggling with it, so if I can get any advice or tips of you it would be greatly appreciated. Good luck with the build.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:19 am
by Gary30
Delticfan78 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 pm
Hi Gary, I'll be following your build with interest, I'm new to the forum and modeling, I'm also building a tamiya honda rc213v, and really struggling with it, so if I can get any advice or tips of you it would be greatly appreciated. Good luck with the build.
Thanks buddy, welcome along, which part in particular are you struggling with?
I still haven’t managed to start in this properly yet, for one reason or another, hoping to get cracking really soon though.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:47 pm
by Delticfan78
Hi Gary, I've mainly had trouble with the spray painting of the fluorescent colours on the cowlings and wheels.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:52 am
by Gary30
Well chaps, due to the forthcoming GB's and other commitments, I'm going to put this build on the back burner, I may resume over the summer once the 80's GB is out of the way, but I'll leave the thread running as a place holder as I WILL return to complete it one day soon.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:42 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Oh bugger, I'll just have to wait

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:38 pm
by Stevewill
Try the zero paints they have a kit for the bike.
Not a Honda but this is the result.

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:15 pm
by Gary30
Well, after a long hiatus, this one is back on the bench, looking forward to getting stuck into something a bit different after a string of cars, so I think I'm going to have fun building this now.
Made a start last night assembling some of the cowlings that need to be bonded together before paiting, so not much to show yet, lots of sanding and prepping to be done before paint, so I'll get some pics along the way.
I wish I could justify the expense of the full detail kit, but my spending is already way out of control, so it's just the fork kit and the base kit as it comes, but I will be doing as much carbon decalling as I can to bring it up a level hopefully.
Following hot on the heels of
@LWWales so I can profit from any pitfalls he might encounter

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:24 pm
by LWWales
Awesome! It's cool that we'll have two builds going at once, shall be following closely!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:42 pm
by Bdiddy
Can’t wait to see the progress on this Gaz, glad you’ve picked it back up!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:11 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Less talk more build

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 pm
by barryf1fan
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14 pm
by Gary30
I’ve been a naughty boy...I think I need some discipline from that stern looking lady above!
But on the plus side, I have had some bench time today, and managed to get some work done on the cowlings, all painted in Tamiya LP2 first and then masked off for the Orange, will leave to cure for 24 hours now before having a go at the red, pretty tricky mask job, but it turned out pretty good.....
@LWWales I’m coming after you bro haha!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:36 pm
by LWWales
Gary30 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14 pm
I’ve been a naughty boy...I think I need some discipline from that stern looking lady above!
But on the plus side, I have had some bench time today, and managed to get some work done on the cowlings, all painted in Tamiya LP2 first and then masked off for the Orange, will leave to cure for 24 hours now before having a go at the red, pretty tricky mask job, but it turned out pretty good.....
@LWWales I’m coming after you bro haha!
Looking great mate! I was thinking of doing the fairings soon!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:11 pm
by Steve64
Hey Gary,
Great choice, and maybe Mr M, can lend you the real thing as a reference for a week or two. He might be off it for a little while with his injury. It's a real shame because Quatararo and Vinales are fast. Hopefully it will be a cracking MototGP season to keep you inspired with Marquez back and fighting at the front soon.
I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:39 pm
by jchrisf
Nice. I totally missed this one.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:39 pm
by barryf1fan
Gary, that color is

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:58 pm
by Gary30
2K'd my fairings today, turned out pretty nice.
I should probably make a start on the rest of the bike now

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:17 pm
by Bdiddy
Nice Gary! About time you posted an update

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:18 pm
by LWWales
That s beautiful mate!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:48 pm
by Gary30
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:01 pm
by Bdiddy
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:03 pm
by Gary30
LWWales wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:18 pm
That s beautiful mate!
Cheers buddy, I went all out on that nose piece to build up a really thick coat of clear, not sure if I'll bother polishing them all once they've dried, I think the risk of burning through the paint somewhere is pretty high because of all the 1000's curves on it, so might just leave it as it is

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:54 pm
by barryf1fan
Just awesome!! Finish on those pieces are second to none.
Looks Fantastic!

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:24 pm
by jchrisf
That came out perfect!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:40 am
by BigWall
Nice job with the clear!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:25 am
by Gary30
Been doing a few bits and pieces on this over the weekend, I have to compliment Tamiya again, the fit on this thing is perfect. I would usually sub assemble an engine block before painting, but as there was a fair bit of masking to do I thought I'd paint it first for a change, man this thing just fits PERFECT, so crisp.
Here it is going together, I'll probably give it a very light pin wash and some more parts need fitting before it can go in the frame, I know the clutch detail set looks a 1000 times better than the kit item, but I don't think this looks
too bad
I've also started painting a lot of the other parts, frame, swing arm, radiators etc, will get a few pics along the way.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 am
by Bdiddy
Nice Gary!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:41 am
by LWWales
Your engine came out beautifully!
I have to agree with the fit, it's prefect!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:26 pm
by jchrisf
It looks great Gary and that clutch looks great too! I'd be happy with it if I were doing one of these.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:00 pm
by barryf1fan
Dude, the engine is looking great - and I thought that was the detail-up clutch (of course I look at the pictures before I read...) not the kit piece. Kudos on that - looks like it has some real depth, nice work!

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:12 am
by Gary30
I'm a bit rubbish at updating this build log, but things are really moving now, still don't have many photos to share, but I'm happy with the way this is turning out,
Wheels are finished, although I just realised I should've drilled out the holes in the end of each spoke, too late now though

:
And pretty much everything else is painted now, I'll start drip feeding a few photos in as I finish up the parts, but I'm on a carbon mission at the moment, which is time consuming! Here is one for example, I will be giving this a coat of semi gloss clear to finish it off:
It's starting to feel like I can almost see the finish line in the far distance now, so that's always a nice feeling.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:35 am
by LWWales
It's these little bits at the end that are the killer, they feel never ending! But, you're doing an excellent job mate!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:40 am
by BigWall
It's looking great! Nice work with the carbon decals.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:30 am
by Gary30
I think carbon decalling may be my new favourite thing

this is my first realy go at doing complex shapes with it after doing some small bits on the Ford GT previously, but I think I've got the hang of it now and worked out a technique, it's really satisfying when it goes well

I've done most parts now, it's just the front and rear wheel guards I have to tackle, I left the 'high profile' parts until last as I thought I would get better along the way.
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:20 pm
by Gary30
Chain done, turned out pretty nice for the kit item

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:20 pm
by barryf1fan
Looking good, Gary!!

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:18 pm
by Hawkmoon
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:31 pm
by LWWales
Excellent job with the Chain, mate!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:19 pm
by jchrisf
Oh yeah!

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:16 am
by Bdiddy
Great job Gary, it’s coming along awesome! Chain looks sweet
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:04 am
by BigWall
Very nice!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 pm
by Gary30
This is starting to come together now, I am going to polish the fairings tomorrow and look to get it finished in the next day or so, these are great fun to build.
The fork upgrade set really adds to it, and I take my hat off to you crazy guys who go all out with the detail sets! Way too much work for me!
Re: 1/12 Tamiya Honda RC213V - #93 Marquez
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:39 pm
by barryf1fan
Gary30 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 pm
This is starting to come together now, I am going to polish the fairings tomorrow and look to get it finished in the next day or so, these are great fun to build.
Looks great man!!
Gary30 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 pm
The fork upgrade set really adds to it, and I take my hat off to you crazy guys who go all out with the detail sets! Way too much work for me!
Right?!? I have a hard enough time with what's in the box - don't need to be adding to it!!
