Shout out from OKC
Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Greetings forum members! Been quite a dry spell on the ol model building front, but finally decided to get back at it, so off we go
Pretty much from day one, I've gravitated toward the straight-line ground pounders- you know, top fuel, pro mod, etc. Although I did manage to squeak off a build or two over the years, using domestic "kits"....Revell, ATM, etc, etc, I slowly began to lose interest producing run-of-the-mill, sub par finished products. Not only are these types of kits pretty raw and basic, half the time it's hard to identify where the flash ends and the part begins! Frustrating.
Fear not tho....this tale of woe does have a happy ending! Thankfully I had enough sense to listen to a good friend who suggested that I diversify a little- with not only subject matter, but starting a build with higher quality kits as well. Sure enough, along comes Tamiya, Aoshima, Fujimi, etc, and my desire to build scale cars magically re-appeared! Who woulda thought?!!
So, to avoid this post becoming a short novel in length, I'll sum it up by saying I've found a new love. F1 cars, exotics, Grand Am cars, Studio 1 among several other high-def aftermarket suppliers, etc etc and I'm stuck for good!
My first undertaking in this entirely new arena is a 20th scale Tamiya F1 car, the Lotus type 79, and from how it appears to be starting out, this is gonna be a really enjoyable project. I'm considering doing an in-process thread on it, but haven't decided for sure. I generally don't do too well at those, but might just give it a try!
Anyway, as I ramble on and on, thank you for peeking at my intro post, and I look forward to getting to know you!
Kevin C. AKA carmad1957
Pretty much from day one, I've gravitated toward the straight-line ground pounders- you know, top fuel, pro mod, etc. Although I did manage to squeak off a build or two over the years, using domestic "kits"....Revell, ATM, etc, etc, I slowly began to lose interest producing run-of-the-mill, sub par finished products. Not only are these types of kits pretty raw and basic, half the time it's hard to identify where the flash ends and the part begins! Frustrating.
Fear not tho....this tale of woe does have a happy ending! Thankfully I had enough sense to listen to a good friend who suggested that I diversify a little- with not only subject matter, but starting a build with higher quality kits as well. Sure enough, along comes Tamiya, Aoshima, Fujimi, etc, and my desire to build scale cars magically re-appeared! Who woulda thought?!!
So, to avoid this post becoming a short novel in length, I'll sum it up by saying I've found a new love. F1 cars, exotics, Grand Am cars, Studio 1 among several other high-def aftermarket suppliers, etc etc and I'm stuck for good!
My first undertaking in this entirely new arena is a 20th scale Tamiya F1 car, the Lotus type 79, and from how it appears to be starting out, this is gonna be a really enjoyable project. I'm considering doing an in-process thread on it, but haven't decided for sure. I generally don't do too well at those, but might just give it a try!
Anyway, as I ramble on and on, thank you for peeking at my intro post, and I look forward to getting to know you!
Kevin C. AKA carmad1957