Page 1 of 1

Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:01 pm
by barryf1fan
Now that the Nissan is done and dusted, gonna jump into this one - it was originally gonna be the test mule for the AB, but the Nissan Racekar came out okay, gonna try my hand at this one. Going to give this to my son once complete and am just shooting for better finish on the exterior paint.

Made a modest start last night but as per usual, this will be a slow build. Here's a few shots to get started though
(kind of a pain drilling the holes in the seat :lol: )

Image

Image

As can be seen clearly here; I got the Chinese version of the German companies American muscle race car. :tongue:

Image

Image

Image

Image

As always, thanks for looking in! :hi:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 am
by Hawkmoon
:th: Nice start on the car :thumb2:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:45 am
by barryf1fan
Not a lot done, but made a start on cleaning up, gluing up the body bits and got everything primed.

Still need to work on putting layers down, as I have it thicker here than there, but overall not too bad.
Need to find the right yellow for this car as the instructions just say "yellow". :D

Don't have a "yellow" so need to get some and start testing.

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:30 am
by Hawkmoon
:banana: Looking good and nice work theres a link below to zero paints yellow for the Corvette. I know its difficult to get Zero over there but at least you now have a name to help you out with the color-

https://www.hiroboy.com/Corvette_C7R_Ra ... 10140.html

:thumb2:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:26 pm
by jmurphy18
Very cool Barry! Nicely done on your prep work. Yes drilling all those little holes are a PIA. I did the ones on my NSX rotors while watching forged in fire and others...... Drilled my thumb a few times. :th: :cheers2:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm
by barryf1fan
Hawkmoon wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:30 am :banana: Looking good and nice work theres a link below to zero paints yellow for the Corvette. I know its difficult to get Zero over there but at least you now have a name to help you out with the color-

https://www.hiroboy.com/Corvette_C7R_Ra ... 10140.html

:thumb2:
thank you, sir. I think I'm gonna run by the LHS and grab some yellows, Tamiya, model master, whatever I can find and go from there. I do wish we got the variety the rest of the world gets... Got most of the bits painted last night, all but the body really - didn't snap any pics but this one is coming along. I am getting a bit nervous that the body isn't gonna cooperate, but will burn that bridge when I get to it. :D

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:16 am
by barryf1fan
Well, a bit of an update.

Have painted all the parts, sans a little bit of detail work that I generally do with a brush (like dash and steering wheel detail). Also got some yellows and tested and settled on Tamiya X-8, Lemon Yellow. I like it, as I had sprayed the body in gray it tones down the "screamin' yellow" color.

So tonight I mask off the body to spray the black portions of the car and had two tiny little specs of black where I didn't get the mask down well. :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

I went over the body 3 times to make sure everything was covered and the mask was burnished down. :wall:
Guess it wasn't. I then tried to gently brush a bit of touch-up from my mix - yeah, didn't work!! So now I'm gonna have to mask off 99.9% of the body to touch up these two spots. :doh:

Oh well, at least the rest of it is coming out okay, just haven't had a ton of model time the last week or so...

I will say, I am loving the airbrush - it's actually fun to paint stuff. I do need to slow down though as I try and put down the coats too fast. :lol: :lol: I get so excited to see it "come to life".

Image

Image

And here are the two "screw-ups". UUGGGHhhh. :doh:

Image

This one I tried to gently "rub" off - didn't work.

Image

Thanks for looking and hoping to get this bad boy fixed up and get her decals and clear coat. :thumb2:

[and believe it or not, this kit has all been done with Tamiya acrylics. :whistle: ]

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:03 am
by Gary30
Tamiya acylics spray really nice, I'm a big fan. That yellow really pops, I've got a Mercedes DTM car that I'm going to paint with X-8 (or LP-8) so I'm encouraged by the shade you ended up with on this.

Revell really spoil you with pre-painted windows though, don't want you going all soft on us!

Looking forward to seeing the decals and clear going down, nice job so far.

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:56 pm
by barryf1fan
Gary30 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:03 am Tamiya acylics spray really nice, I'm a big fan. That yellow really pops, I've got a Mercedes DTM car that I'm going to paint with X-8 (or LP-8) so I'm encouraged by the shade you ended up with on this.

Revell really spoil you with pre-painted windows though, don't want you going all soft on us!

Looking forward to seeing the decals and clear going down, nice job so far.
I'm a fan because I have to be. :lol: We don't have access to the Tamiya LP series of paints here in the US. :scratch::

Yes, I am loving the color this came out... It's not 100% spot on with the "actual" color on the car, but the gray surface primer I used to prime with makes it the right color (for me). I am not a fan of Yellow anything, especially vehicles, and thought about doing a blue rendition like Murph did on his, but in the end I wanted it to look like the actual race car, and as I'm doing this for my son it's what he would want too.

I was so excited to be able to start on the decals that I was kinda bummed about the two mess-ups. But, I'll get it fixed and move it along. :th:

thanks for looking in, Gary. :cheers2:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:14 pm
by jmurphy18
Sweet Barry! The yellow looks great and I do understand on the oops! I was able to get mine off yesterday, I was lucky as I had 6 coats down, :). HAGD

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:26 am
by barryf1fan
Welp... I've completely jacked up the body. Gonna have to strip it or sand it back and reshoot the yellow and black.

Did get some CF detailing done though.

I think it came out pretty good.

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:54 pm
by barryf1fan
Does anyone have a proven method to strip the paint off the body?? I've seen everything doing a search. Brake cleaner (no thanks), Simple Green, Easy-Off (ruined a body years ago using this method), alcohol, etc., etc...

I don't want to have to buy another kit, as I would like to try and save this one... :scratch::
Any ideas guys?? TIA!! :thumb1:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:56 pm
by jmurphy18
Barry, I used the Yellow Easy off oven cleaner that @Twokidsnosleep told me about. Worked for me. Just took a couple of coatings of the spray. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and wash it off and scrub the body as this stuff burn like a mother on the body!! Some District Attorney i.e. (Dumb AXX) found out the hard way ........ about the getting on the human body :bash:
I done 3 bodies now like this.

PS. I had bleed on mine yesterday. I used 50/50 thinned X-18 and it got under the tape.......... "Murphy's law" bit me

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Not sure how easy off ruined your plastic, been the safest way I have tried
I have used it dozens of times from just chrome removal to full paint strip

Image

Image

Image

Image

Jesus, I SCREW UP A LOT :? :cry:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:51 pm
by barryf1fan
I ruined the body by leaving it on too long... the plastic got really soft, and never firmed back up. Almost made it like rubber. :lol:

I have the Foaming Easy Off, not the spray bottle "gel" kind... would I need to use that over the "foaming" type?? I used the stuff I have to remove the chrome off the wheels I did for my sons RSX, and it worked great, but this is the same stuff I used to destroy my Nissan R390 years ago. How long do you leave it on?

Thanks a ton guys!!

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:12 am
by Twokidsnosleep
barryf1fan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:51 pm I ruined the body by leaving it on too long... the plastic got really soft, and never firmed back up. Almost made it like rubber. :lol:

I have the Foaming Easy Off, not the spray bottle "gel" kind... would I need to use that over the "foaming" type?? I used the stuff I have to remove the chrome off the wheels I did for my sons RSX, and it worked great, but this is the same stuff I used to destroy my Nissan R390 years ago. How long do you leave it on?

Thanks a ton guys!!
Try the gel
It is easy to control and possible less concentrated??
I watch my strippers like a hawk :whistle: :lol:
What I mean is I don’t leave them more than an hour or so, scrub with a toothbrush and then re-gel if needed

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:33 am
by barryf1fan
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Used the Easy Off aerosol and it worked great. Left it on about 5 minutes and it just washed right off, right down to the primer. :thumb1: :thumb1:

Image

:dance:

Thanks again!! :cheers2:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:59 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Sweet, that looks pristine now and ready for another attempt :thumb2:
That Easy off does sound more concentrated...so pay attention to your stripping :o

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:10 am
by Hawkmoon
:thumb2: :thumb2: Sweet result :dance: :clap: :thumb2:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:24 pm
by jmurphy18
That looks great Barry! Nice and pristine and ready to go again!
I do not know about you but all I have here is spray no gel. I get to do this do today ..... "Love the smell of easy off in the morning". Ripping off Apocalypse Now :tongue:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:48 pm
by barryf1fan
jmurphy18 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:24 pm That looks great Barry! Nice and pristine and ready to go again!
I do not know about you but all I have here is spray no gel. I get to do this do today ..... "Love the smell of easy off in the morning". Ripping off Apocalypse Now :tongue:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as you don't FUBAR that body. :D ;)

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:30 pm
by jmurphy18
barryf1fan wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:48 pm
jmurphy18 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:24 pm That looks great Barry! Nice and pristine and ready to go again!
I do not know about you but all I have here is spray no gel. I get to do this do today ..... "Love the smell of easy off in the morning". Ripping off Apocalypse Now :tongue:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as you don't FUBAR that body. :D ;)
LOL. I get to do that today. I ended with company yesterday and we had a few and watched the NASCAR race. :). So I an couple hrs I will be stripping on the back deck

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:51 am
by barryf1fan
Was able to get the body "re-painted" and start the decals and do a little assembly as well.
Did have a weird issue, that I've never encountered... The Micro-Sol started to soften the paint, and as I was rolling it off with a Q-Tip it was starting to take a bit of the paint with it. :shock:

Not gonna fret, I think it was the fact that the body had a bath in Easy-Off oven cleaner, and even though I washed the body and reshot the primer, I think the oven cleaner may have "soaked" into the plastic. just gonna have to be careful whilst doing the rest of the decals. Anyway, trying to wrap this one up because I need to start on the GB build. :thumb2:

Image

Image

Not sure why the seat looks so dirty, like it has dried sweat all over it, it doesn't look that way without the flash on the phone.

Image

Image

Image

Thanks for looking!

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:42 pm
by jmurphy18
Looking really good Barry! Awesome work!! :th:

The paint and detail work is really spot on dude! Nice!! :thumb2: :thumb2: :cheers2:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:57 pm
by Hawkmoon
:thumb2: Looking good Barry and nice work :th:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:48 am
by Tankboy76
Looks good. I'm glad to be following this thread - I'm hoping to build this kit someday.

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:34 am
by Kevthemodeller
Looking good Barry :th: shame about the first colour coat :cheers2:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:13 pm
by barryf1fan
Thanks all for the encouragement!! Had a tough couple of weeks, then got gout in my right foot (still have it), and stupidly walked around on it for 4 days before I couldn't take it anymore. With the Covid-19 virus put off going to the dr and finally broke down and got some care on Monday. Foot still big as a watermelon, but jumped in the room to model cuz I hadn't been there in about 2 weeks.

Finished her up and calling her done. (had completed a little more than the last update)

Image

Image

Fun kit, even with the "re-paint" situation.
Once my stupid foot heals gonna jump on the GB '80's vehicle.
Thanks for looking.

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 pm
by Hawkmoon
:clap: :clap: You have had trials and tribulations with this one Barry but you cant fault the result Well Done. :thumb2: :thumb2: :dance: :clap:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 pm
by barryf1fan
Hawkmoon wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 pm :clap: :clap: You have had trials and tribulations with this one Barry but you cant fault the result Well Done. :thumb2: :thumb2: :dance: :clap:
:thumb2: Thanks man, appreciate it. It came out okay, I'll call it a 5-footer. :lol:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm
by CygnusX1
I think it looks fantastic. Given the amount of grief you had with the paint and having to strip it, I think this has turned out amazingly.

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:43 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Superb build Barry :clap: :clap: :clap:
barryf1fan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:13 pm Thanks all for the encouragement!! Had a tough couple of weeks, then got gout in my right foot (still have it), and stupidly walked around on it for 4 days before I couldn't take it anymore.
A very good friend of mine used to suffer badly from gout every few weeks of so for weeks at a time, even medication wasn't really working. Then he got told about this stuff https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/ ... uid=083710

There're other manufactures they all work he's tried most, you can even get capsules of the stuff. He was suffering a bad bout over a year ago, someone suggested it, it was heavily reduced 2 hrs, totally gone in 8hrs! He took just 2 30ml doses 4 hours apart.

He now takes 30ml per day by way of a drink, you mix it in yogurt or something, he's never had an attack since, he's back enjoying his beer. If he gets a twinge he'll take twice the dose, once morning/evening and it's gone. He no longer uses medication, give it a try mate. :th:

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:54 pm
by barryf1fan
Kevthemodeller wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:43 pm Superb build Barry :clap: :clap: :clap:



A very good friend of mine used to suffer badly from gout every few weeks of so for weeks at a time, even medication wasn't really working. Then he got told about this stuff https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/ ... uid=083710

There're other manufactures they all work he's tried most, you can even get capsules of the stuff. He was suffering a bad bout over a year ago, someone suggested it, it was heavily reduced 2 hrs, totally gone in 8hrs! He took just 2 30ml doses 4 hours apart.

He now takes 30ml per day by way of a drink, you mix it in yogurt or something, he's never had an attack since, he's back enjoying his beer. If he gets a twinge he'll take twice the dose, once morning/evening and it's gone. He no longer uses medication, give it a try mate. :th:
Thanks Kev!! i will definitely look into that, my doc actually gave me a similar suggestion once this cleared up. To look at some sort of "black cherry" concentrate to take once a day or every other day kinda thing. This is the second time I have got this and it was mis-diagnosed last time (diff doc). Current doc said that a change in diet will be necessary, which I've tried to recently do, and that gout can reoccur more frequently once you've had it... uggh! Why he suggested something like you did, and the diet change.

THANKS man for the tip and link, will check it out for sure!!! :bow::
I didn't realize how painful gout can be.

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm
by jmurphy18
Excellent build and coloring Barry!! Wonderful job! :thumb2: :thumb2: :cheers2:
Really sucks on the the gout!@. Take care of your self dude

Now HAGD and week

Re: Revell 1/25 Corvette C7R GTLM

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:42 pm
by Kevthemodeller
barryf1fan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:54 pm THANKS man for the tip and link, will check it out for sure!!! :bow::
I didn't realize how painful gout can be.
You're most welcome, my mate swears by it. :th: