Page 1 of 1
WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:24 pm
by Hawkmoon

Fancied a quick wingy thing and this one jumped out the stash at me, if any of you want to do a WnW kit but hate the thought of the rigging this has only bracing on the under carriage. The Junkers D.1 was a late war design that flew in the last months of the war and was considered so good other airforces flew it for a good few years after the end of the war. Of all metal and corrugated aluminium construction it was one of the first all metal aircraft.
The kit comes in WnW usual box and when opened the instructions are visible with four grey styrene sprues below it, below the plastic was the decal sheet and etch sheet. The fuselage and wings are well molded showing the corrugated surface and the other parts are of WnW usual standard . The instruction booklet is all we have come to eXpext from WnW. Not a large kit but still a nice aircraft to build.
Construction starts with the cockpit and all is going together well so far. Still quite a bit to add here.
P4247142 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4247145 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4247147 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4247148 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4247150 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4247153 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4247154 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4247156 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
Construction begins-
P4247158 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4247164 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4247166 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:00 pm
by Stokesy44
Off to a great start.
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:31 am
by Hawkmoon

Thanks for looking in and your comments Stokesy

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:20 am
by digger303
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:42 am
by Kevthemodeller
I do like WW1 aircraft and WNW, got a fair few in my stash, waiting for my skill to improve enough to ba able to do them justice. Sadly they're rumours WNW have closed for good

there site states the
following
You're off to a great start mate

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:54 pm
by RangerNeil
Kevthemodeller wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:42 am
I do like WW1 aircraft and WNW, got a fair few in my stash, waiting for my skill to improve enough to ba able to do them justice. Sadly they're rumours WNW have closed for good

there site states the
following
You're off to a great start mate
Reading that site message - they have only suspended operations during the current crisis. The encouragement to email them with sales enquiries for when service resumes say to me they will be back. Fingers crossed!
Back on topic

This looks an interesting one - both in the build and the finished result. The Junkers D1 is certainly one of the lesser known WW1 types.
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:39 pm
by Hawkmoon
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:43 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Yep I am in, good luck with her
The mouldings and quality of the plastic with WNW is fantastic.
It sands and cuts better than any styrene I have seen
Really was looking forward to the Lanc as I had planned to get one

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:46 pm
by Hawkmoon
Kevthemodeller wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:42 am
I do like WW1 aircraft and WNW, got a fair few in my stash, waiting for my skill to improve enough to ba able to do them justice. Sadly they're rumours WNW have closed for good

there site states the
following
You're off to a great start mate

According to some websites theres a letter saying they were all made redundant a week or so ago at WnW and sad to hear if its true. Im just glad I have my Holy grail of WnW kits the Felixstowe and Hansa-Brandenburg Duelists which I will soon start.

Thanks for looking in and your comments

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:51 pm
by Hawkmoon
RangerNeil wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:54 pm
Kevthemodeller wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:42 am
I do like WW1 aircraft and WNW, got a fair few in my stash, waiting for my skill to improve enough to ba able to do them justice. Sadly they're rumours WNW have closed for good

there site states the
following
You're off to a great start mate
Reading that site message - they have only suspended operations during the current crisis. The encouragement to email them with sales enquiries for when service resumes say to me they will be back. Fingers crossed!
Back on topic

This looks an interesting one - both in the build and the finished result. The Junkers D1 is certainly one of the lesser known WW1 types.

Thanks for looking in and your comments Neil, I always was attracted to the more exotic types of any form of transport although this one says a lethal killing machine not to be tangled with.

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:52 pm
by Hawkmoon
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:43 pm
Yep I am in, good luck with her
The mouldings and quality of the plastic with WNW is fantastic.
It sands and cuts better than any styrene I have seen
Really was looking forward to the Lanc as I had planned to get one

Thanks for looking in and your comments Scott

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 pm
by Hawkmoon

The cockpit is more or less done with the seatbelts added and the engine mount assembled along with the rear bulk head and seat. Once all was dry it was given a 50% dilute burnt umber wash just to grub it up a bit. Take no notice of the over spray on the cockpit exteria as this will not be seen when the fuselage is assembled so look at whats inside not outside

Started assembling the engine.
P4257199 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4257200 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4257202 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4257206 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4257207 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4257210 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4257212 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:37 am
by Kevthemodeller
Hawkmoon wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:46 pm
Im just glad I have my Holy grail of WnW kits the Felixstowe and Hansa-Brandenburg Duelists which I will soon start.

Thanks for looking in and your comments
I've got the Hansa will be adding a Felixstowe, I really want a Gotha G. IV and a F.2B fighter the former is almost impossible to find or absolute silly money and the latter seems to be going the same way

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:16 am
by Hawkmoon
Kevthemodeller wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:37 am
Hawkmoon wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:46 pm
Im just glad I have my Holy grail of WnW kits the Felixstowe and Hansa-Brandenburg Duelists which I will soon start.

Thanks for looking in and your comments
I've got the Hansa will be adding a Felixstowe, I really want a Gotha G. IV and a F.2B fighter the former is almost impossible to find or absolute silly money and the latter seems to be going the same way
I know what you mean about prices right now on fleabay there was an average of 3/4 pages for WnW stuff it now 1 page and a couple of kits with a hefty price hike or there on auction to maximise the return the rest are upgrade sets. Its hard call right now to buy what your after if you see one or wait as one just might appear in the future. I have a feeling there always going to be pricey from now on though.
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:21 am
by Kevthemodeller
Hawkmoon wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:16 am
I have a feeling there always going to be pricey from now on though.
I've no doubt, but I'm not playing the game, many non modellers buy up kits and sit on them. These types do it with a lot of things, they're just in it for profit.

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:16 pm
by digger303
Hawkmoon wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:16 am
Kevthemodeller wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:37 am
Hawkmoon wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:46 pm
Im just glad I have my Holy grail of WnW kits the Felixstowe and Hansa-Brandenburg Duelists which I will soon start.

Thanks for looking in and your comments
I've got the Hansa will be adding a Felixstowe, I really want a Gotha G. IV and a F.2B fighter the former is almost impossible to find or absolute silly money and the latter seems to be going the same way
I know what you mean about prices right now on fleabay there was an average of 3/4 pages for WnW stuff it now 1 page and a couple of kits with a hefty price hike or there on auction to maximize the return the rest are upgrade sets. Its hard call right now to buy what your after if you see one or wait as one just might appear in the future. I have a feeling there always going to be pricey from now on though.
They may reopen the doors though and it's all available again or am I just being optimistic

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:33 pm
by Hawkmoon
digger303 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:16 pm
Hawkmoon wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:16 am
Kevthemodeller wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:37 am
I've got the Hansa will be adding a Felixstowe, I really want a Gotha G. IV and a F.2B fighter the former is almost impossible to find or absolute silly money and the latter seems to be going the same way
I know what you mean about prices right now on fleabay there was an average of 3/4 pages for WnW stuff it now 1 page and a couple of kits with a hefty price hike or there on auction to maximize the return the rest are upgrade sets. Its hard call right now to buy what your after if you see one or wait as one just might appear in the future. I have a feeling there always going to be pricey from now on though.
They may reopen the doors though and it's all available again or am I just being optimistic
I do hope your right Digger but I fear its gone for good.
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:54 pm
by Hawkmoon

The engine parts were painted and then assembled and given some dirtying up. The assembly was then fitted to the engine bearers. The fuselage sides and upper surface were prepped and the insides painted with semi gloss black and then Alclad airframe aluminium. Once dry the fuselage sides were fitted and then the top piece went on. The tail parts were prepped and then fitted to the fuselage The front radiator was prepped and painted and then glued in place.
Next the wings were prepped and glued together and after some clean up of seams on the tips were then added to the fuselage. The head rest parts, grab handles and pilots foot rest were all prepped and then added to the fuselage. The under carriage parts were prepped and assembled and then added to the fuselage. Still lots to add around the engine area- engine covers,oil tank, gun chutes,guns and front cockpit coaming .
P4267213 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267216 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267218 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267219 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267222 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267224 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267225 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267228 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267232 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267233 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267235 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267237 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267240 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4267241 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 pm
by RangerNeil
Love the detail on that engine!!

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:06 am
by DRUMS01
Neat airplane and nicely done too!
Ben
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:37 am
by Twokidsnosleep
You are giving me that Wingnuts itch...or maybe I just need a shower
Engine is looking spectacular

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:25 am
by Hawkmoon
RangerNeil wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 pm
Love the detail on that engine!!

Thanks for looking in and your comments Neil, The kits are known for the engine detail and you are usually given a choice to build too with the parts on the sprue to make say a Mk 2 or Mk 3 engine for instance. Some kits even have a choice of exhausts that you can use.

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:26 am
by Hawkmoon
DRUMS01 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:06 am
Neat airplane and nicely done too!
Ben

Thanks for looking in and your comments Ben

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:30 am
by Hawkmoon
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:44 am
by Stokesy44
That is looking really good. I love watching those WNW kits come together. Spectacular stuff.
The subject matter doesn't do it for me. WWI aircraft are not my bag, doesn't mean I cant enjoy the skills of others as they tackle the subjects.

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:37 am
by digger303
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:16 pm
by Hawkmoon
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:36 pm
by Hawkmoon

Finished off the odds n sods around the engine bay and added the covers along with the guns. The cock pit had some sponge added to seal it up and then the whole aircraft was given a coat of grey undercoat and when dry another coat of Lacquer semi gloss black was sprayed on. Once dry Alclad airframe aluminium was sprayed over the whole model.
P4277243 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4277245 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4277247 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4277249 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4277252 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr
P4277254 by
andrew purchase, on Flickr

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:18 pm
by Stokesy44
Now that does look smart. Very good painting indeed
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:50 am
by digger303
What a unique looking mono wing. Almost like a bird with the way the wings flare at the ends.
Yep this would be a nice one to have.

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:48 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Cool plane, coming along very nicely
Is a great entry kit into WNW as no rigging.....if they were not on their death bed as a company
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 am
by Stokesy44
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:48 am
Cool plane, coming along very nicely
Is a great entry kit into WNW as no rigging.....if they were not on their death bed as a company
I saw the posts on the ISM Facebook page about the company's troubles. Gutted for all concerned, workers and customers. I just hope its a temporary thing and that they can get back up again when things get a bit easier. I have never heard a bad word about their kits so they deserve to come out of this and keep going.
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:18 am
by Hawkmoon
Stokesy44 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:44 am
That is looking really good. I love watching those WNW kits come together. Spectacular stuff.
The subject matter doesn't do it for me. WWI aircraft are not my bag, doesn't mean I cant enjoy the skills of others as they tackle the subjects.

For looking in and your comments

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:21 am
by Hawkmoon
Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:23 am
by Hawkmoon
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:48 am
Cool plane, coming along very nicely
Is a great entry kit into WNW as no rigging.....if they were not on their death bed as a company

I can only agree with you Scott, Thanks for looking in and your comments

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:17 am
by Kevthemodeller
Some lovely paint finishes there mate

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:15 pm
by Hawkmoon
Kevthemodeller wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:17 am
Some lovely paint finishes there mate

Hi kev thanks for looking in and your comments

Re: WnW Junkers D.1
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:19 pm
by Hawkmoon