Tamiya 1/24 Mistubishi Lancer Evo V WRC

Cars, trucks and bikes
Post Reply
Codders
New Recruit
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Poland

Tamiya 1/24 Mistubishi Lancer Evo V WRC

Post by Codders »

Tamiya 1/24 Mistubishi Lancer Evo V WRC

Image

Hey Everyone,

I started building this model 15 years ago (yes I know.. :oops:). Starting college, moving to another country, work, busy life got in the way of finishing it back then...

As a complete amateur I was using Humbrol enamels and hand brushing...

Image

Image


Body has now been primed with Tamiya white Fine Primer, and waiting for a coat of TS26 Pure White (I had to order it and wait for delivery as it's out of stock everywhere at the moment :pistols: )

Image

In the meantime, I found an upgrade kit made by Hobby Design, so I'm going to add some nice photo-etched parts and more realistic seatbelts.

Image

Watch this space :th:

Peter
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Mistubishi Lancer Evo V WRC

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

Haha nice that you have finally got around to finishing it :)
Hawkmoon
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
England

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Mistubishi Lancer Evo V WRC

Post by Hawkmoon »

:thumb2: Looks a nice kit and great start :thumb2:
Codders
New Recruit
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Poland

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Mistubishi Lancer Evo V WRC

Post by Codders »

Finally an update on the Lancer progress. Took some time as had to deal with unexpected life events.

After 15 years of so break from modelling, my hand brushing skills are still there (although the hands are shaking a bit more haha)

Engine compartment - all hand brushed

Image


The whole body was sprayed with Tamiya Pure White TS26 (decanted and airbrushed with Iwata Eclipse HP CS - 0.35)

Image
Image

Then the masking of part of the body and sprayed the red elements with again decanted Tamiya Pure Red TS86.
Image

The body was then left to cure for about a month.
In the meantime I decided to experiment and use micro-balloons on the dashboard (the same will happen to the seats tomorrow)

First I used an old gloss black enamel humbrol paint that was lying around and handbrushed it on the top of the dashboard.
Then dumped the micro-balloons on top, let dry and shake off the excess, followed by airbrushing with XF-1.

Image
Image

I'm quite happy with the end result!

So it was time to start putting on the decals. I was dreading this a bit as the decals were quite old. I used the Micro Set and Micro Sol.
The big side stripes that go around the door handles were fragile and started splitting on their own. I aligned them as much as I could and treating them with Solvaset helped a little bit. The rest was saved with a touch up paint.

Image
Image

After leaving the decals dry on their own for a week, I treated the model with Tamiya Panel line accent.
I decided to use black on the roof and bonnet, but the side panel lines were treated with dark Gray instead (black was too much on white model in my opinion)

It was time to put down the clear.
I put 2 very thin layers of ZeroPaints 2K Diamond Finish. (one mist and second wet coat) I decided I didn't want a thick layer of clear on this model, and I knew that ZeroPains clear can end up quite thick anyways.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Overall I must say I'm a little proud of myself considering it was the first model I painted using airbrush. There is still a lot to learn for sure, but considering no previous experience, I'm very happy with the end result.

Image
Codders
New Recruit
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Poland

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Mistubishi Lancer Evo V WRC

Post by Codders »

Using Molotov Liquid chrome on the headlamps for the first time. (On the next model I will try to airbrush it instead)

Image
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Mistubishi Lancer Evo V WRC

Post by BigWall »

It's looking great! You should be proud.
Joe

Image
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya 1/24 Mistubishi Lancer Evo V WRC

Post by Gary30 »

A fifteen year build...finally someone who takes longer than me to finish a build haha! Looks great though, nice work!
Portfolio
Click here
Post Reply

Return to “Road Vehicles”