Page 1 of 1

Removing Tough Glued on Components for Model Restorations.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:25 pm
by RobRomero
In restoring old models I’ve found some old components have been glued on so tightly that I’ve broken them trying to remove them. Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time.

Re: Removing Tough Glued on Components of Model Restorations?

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:46 pm
by RobRomero
In restoring old models I’ve found some old components have been glued on so tightly that I’ve broken them trying to remove them. Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time.

Re: Removing Tough Glued on Components for Model Restorations.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:38 pm
by ForbesHutton
Most glues melt and fuse the parts together, almost like welding. There's not much that can be done once plastic cement has dried.

Re: Removing Tough Glued on Components for Model Restorations.

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:06 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Ya it is tough slugging doing this
If it isn't your model you don't know what kind of cement
I usually try the thin sharp blade and wedge technique, sometimes a razor saw
I have heard some will freeze a model to weaken the CA glue..never done that

Re: Removing Tough Glued on Components for Model Restorations.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:20 am
by Kevthemodeller
I've found extra thin and the extra thin quick setting glues directly applied the a join will get most parts separated, although it may require a fair bit of encouragement.

Re: Removing Tough Glued on Components for Model Restorations.

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:00 pm
by Whiterook
Kevthemodeller wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:20 am I've found extra thin and the extra thin quick setting glues directly applied the a join will get most parts separated, although it may require a fair bit of encouragement.
That’s a pretty cool thought... maybe that re-melts the join? I never thought of that and would be worth a try if you could find an old model to try, and not worry if things go wrong.

Re: Removing Tough Glued on Components for Model Restorations.

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:55 pm
by digger303
Whiterook wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:00 pm
Kevthemodeller wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:20 am I've found extra thin and the extra thin quick setting glues directly applied the a join will get most parts separated, although it may require a fair bit of encouragement.
That’s a pretty cool thought... maybe that re-melts the join? I never thought of that and would be worth a try if you could find an old model to try, and not worry if things go wrong.
Takes a bit of time and multiple applications on the bigger pieces.