Page 1 of 1

Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:46 am
by ryan81
Hi guys, here's my latest build, the lovely Xanavi R-34 from Tamiya.

Didn't do a build thread for this one as I'm off work and managed to race through it in record time - just two weeks, down from the standard two months :th: Probably my smoothest build once again, but not without its imperfections.

The biggest challenge was identifying the correct primer and shade of red combo as the kit came with a number of red and silver decals in order to get the desired effect (before and after below). The silver was an easy match but the wrong shade of red would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Ended up going with white primer and 3 coats of TS-8 Italian Red (left below, compared to light grey primer on the right)

ImageImageImage

Anyway, enough blabbering - reveal time!

Interior + body:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Final product:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thanks for looking in!

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:14 am
by Bdiddy
Awesome build mate, looks great!
How’d you find the kit quality as I’ve been looking at this one for a while

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:54 am
by ryan81
Bdiddy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:14 am Awesome build mate, looks great!
How’d you find the kit quality as I’ve been looking at this one for a while
Thanks mate. Kit quality was typical Tamiya, overall really good. Easily the cleanest interior job I've done. I found the tub which held most details and was glued to the base helped to keep it simple, and the cage went in last without the need for four hands to get it in place. No engine detail obviously, and underside is pretty basic.

Decals require patience and planning. The red and silvers need to go down first, which isn't alluded to anywhere in the instructions. Plenty of curves to fit around, especially on the bonnet

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:44 am
by Twokidsnosleep
What a wild livery :jd:

You did an awesome job on this :clap: :clap: :clap:

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:06 am
by ryan81
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:44 am What a wild livery :jd:

You did an awesome job on this :clap: :clap: :clap:
I know, right! Unique and, as you say, wild. Cheers! :cheers2:

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:01 am
by digger303
Excellent result :th: :th: :cheers2:

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:39 am
by Gary30
Dang son! That is sweeeeeeeet

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:13 pm
by R36adelaide
Very nice, you've done a great job on matching the red and getting the decals to sit nice. I finished off the number 22 car a couple of weeks ago and I had the same issue with the matching of the red. The only bit you could really see it was where the stripe meets the red roof.

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:46 pm
by ryan81
R36adelaide wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:13 pm Very nice, you've done a great job on matching the red and getting the decals to sit nice. I finished off the number 22 car a couple of weeks ago and I had the same issue with the matching of the red. The only bit you could really see it was where the stripe meets the red roof.
Cheers - have you got a build thread for yours? Not sure if you're referring to mine or yours, but yeah that stripe on the rear pillar, as well as the roof 'Xanavi', were the only ones that didn't quite match - strange that they weren't consistent throughout

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 pm
by ryan81
digger303 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:01 am Excellent result :th: :th: :cheers2:
Thanks Digger

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 pm
by ryan81
Gary30 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:39 am Dang son! That is sweeeeeeeet
Cheers Gary

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:46 am
by R36adelaide
ryan81 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:46 pm
Cheers - have you got a build thread for yours? Not sure if you're referring to mine or yours, but yeah that stripe on the rear pillar, as well as the roof 'Xanavi', were the only ones that didn't quite match - strange that they weren't consistent throughout
Yeah mine stands out a bit more on the C-pillar, I went with the aluminium as my base for the red and did three coats. I've got the build thread here if you want to have a look. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28410

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:40 am
by ryan81
R36adelaide wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:46 am
ryan81 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:46 pm
Cheers - have you got a build thread for yours? Not sure if you're referring to mine or yours, but yeah that stripe on the rear pillar, as well as the roof 'Xanavi', were the only ones that didn't quite match - strange that they weren't consistent throughout
Yeah mine stands out a bit more on the C-pillar, I went with the aluminium as my base for the red and did three coats. I've got the build thread here if you want to have a look. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28410
Just had a look, very nicely done! So crisp and seems to be faultless. I had a few things scuff mine up a bit, specifically my first time making a hash of tyre decals.

Love the carbon work you did, really adds some realism

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:39 am
by Bdiddy
ryan81 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:54 am
Bdiddy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:14 am Awesome build mate, looks great!
How’d you find the kit quality as I’ve been looking at this one for a while
Thanks mate. Kit quality was typical Tamiya, overall really good. Easily the cleanest interior job I've done. I found the tub which held most details and was glued to the base helped to keep it simple, and the cage went in last without the need for four hands to get it in place. No engine detail obviously, and underside is pretty basic.

Decals require patience and planning. The red and silvers need to go down first, which isn't alluded to anywhere in the instructions. Plenty of curves to fit around, especially on the bonnet
sweet mate, I might have to take the plunge and grab one!

cheers for the heads up on the decals

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:44 pm
by jchrisf
Beautiful! How'd I miss this? I have this one in my collection un-built and have been looking forward to building it. You just reinforced that for me :)

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm
by LWWales
Brilliant mate! Love these cars.

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:19 am
by ryan81
jchrisf wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:44 pm Beautiful! How'd I miss this? I have this one in my collection un-built and have been looking forward to building it. You just reinforced that for me :)
Would definitely recommend it. When I received it I had planned to put it in the stash for awhile but started cutting sprue one day and never looked back. Fast build, and there aren't too many small and nasty pieces

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:20 am
by ryan81
LWWales wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm Brilliant mate! Love these cars.
Cheers mate

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 am
by Hawkmoon
:thumb2: Very nice work and a credit to you :thumb2:

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm
by barryf1fan
Love the 'ol JGTC cars (now Super GT500) and this is a beautiful example you've built here. :clap: :dance:
Car is perfect and looks awesome!! You need that Calsonic blue GTR next to this one [nudge, nudge...] :lol:

Look forward to you next automotive art! :thumb2:

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:01 am
by BigWall
Very nice work! You did an absolutely great job matching the paint to the decals.

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:11 am
by ryan81
barryf1fan wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm Love the 'ol JGTC cars (now Super GT500) and this is a beautiful example you've built here. :clap: :dance:
Car is perfect and looks awesome!! You need that Calsonic blue GTR next to this one [nudge, nudge...] :lol:

Look forward to you next automotive art! :thumb2:
Thanks Barry - totally, the Calsonic GTR is definitely on the list

Re: Tamiya Xanavi Nismo GT-R R-34 1/24

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:11 am
by ryan81
BigWall wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:01 am Very nice work! You did an absolutely great job matching the paint to the decals.
Cheers mate