Page 1 of 2
M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:52 pm
by digger303
M5A1 Stuart by AFV Club an early build kit number AF35S60
Kinda got carried away with the build and neglected to post anything. Sorry guys.
The kit is quite good although most parts need some clean up then they go together very well. No clear parts provided which is a shame and definitely a let down given there are 4 view slots. Choice of 3 wheel sets are provided along with a partial interior with radio and a second turret.
I added a RB barrel ,workable tracks from AFV, some rivets to the screens on the engine deck ( slightly over scale, it's all I had ), chopped of the 30 cal mg barrels and reinstated a ABER version where you roll the cooling jacket yourself and wire grab handles.
A couple of little bits to clean up then it's prime time.
thanks guys

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:46 pm
by Stokesy44
Nice. Extras look good too. Get the paint on Sir!

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:02 pm
by Hawkmoon

Looks good to me and nice work there sir

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:20 pm
by RangerNeil
Nice looking Stuart The extras really help make it!
There is a firm here in the UK that bought several M5's from a South American state back in the early 2000's - I think Brazil or Chile - and had them shipped over in ISO's. I was down there at the time checking on the progress of some work on my Stalwart when the last batch arrived. Spectacularly... The truck carrying the ISO with one of them in reversed into the yard and for some reason stopped hard. The M5 hadn't been chained down properly and had come loose. All we heard was rumble- CRASH - as the doors of the ISO went flying and the M5 shot out of the back. Don't think I ever saw the fitters - or the owner of the business move so fast!!
Just to add icing to the cake I heard later one of the others apparently had a blocked barrel so they used a rammer to clear the obstruction - and rapidly wished they hadn't as it was a hornets nest and the hornets got rather p*ss*d at being disturbed so rudely...

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:58 pm
by BigWall
It's looking nice.
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:45 am
by digger303
Stokesy44 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:46 pm
Nice. Extras look good too. Get the paint on Sir!
BigWall wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:58 pm
It's looking nice.
RangerNeil wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:20 pm
Nice looking Stuart The extras really help make it!
There is a firm here in the UK that bought several M5's from a South American state back in the early 2000's - I think Brazil or Chile - and had them shipped over in ISO's. I was down there at the time checking on the progress of some work on my Stalwart when the last batch arrived. Spectacularly... The truck carrying the ISO with one of them in reversed into the yard and for some reason stopped hard. The M5 hadn't been chained down properly and had come loose. All we heard was rumble- CRASH - as the doors of the ISO went flying and the M5 shot out of the back. Don't think I ever saw the fitters - or the owner of the business move so fast!!
Just to add icing to the cake I heard later one of the others apparently had a blocked barrel so they used a rammer to clear the obstruction - and rapidly wished they hadn't as it was a hornets nest and the hornets got rather p*ss*d at being disturbed so rudely...
Hawkmoon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Looks good to me and nice work there sir
Thanks guys much appreciated.

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:36 am
by Tomcat64
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am
by digger303
Thanks TC.
err painting......dreary drawn out process. Not my favorite bit as you might ascertain. Ahemm ...I shall try to look on the bright side....another build coming up.... YAE

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:32 am
by Tomcat64
digger303 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am
Thanks TC.
err painting......dreary drawn out process. Not my favorite bit as you might ascertain. Ahemm ...I shall try to look on the bright side....another build coming up.... YAE
Same here - I'm definitely a builder (or bodger) rather than a painter

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:50 pm
by Stokesy44
Tomcat64 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:32 am
digger303 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am
Thanks TC.
err painting......dreary drawn out process. Not my favorite bit as you might ascertain. Ahemm ...I shall try to look on the bright side....another build coming up.... YAE
Same here - I'm definitely a builder (or bodger) rather than a painter
I'm half and half, I love the build (if it goes well) but I really love the painting. Jack of all trades me! Master of None!
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:43 am
by robwuk
Nice work... do like the M5A1 vehicle
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:20 am
by Bdiddy
digger303 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am
Thanks TC.
err painting......dreary drawn out process. Not my favorite bit as you might ascertain. Ahemm ...I shall try to look on the bright side....another build coming up.... YAE
Dig you should have a crack at using SMS paints on it, you’ll be pleasantly surprised
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 am
by digger303
Bdiddy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:20 am
digger303 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am
Thanks TC.
err painting......dreary drawn out process. Not my favorite bit as you might ascertain. Ahemm ...I shall try to look on the bright side....another build coming up.... YAE
Dig you should have a crack at using SMS paints on it, you’ll be pleasantly surprised
Not against the idea, it's just I have 2 and a bit sets of paints now and I am going to use all the Tamiya I have now and go to Mr Hobby which I have too. Once I do that I may have some shelf space of course 2-1 the bottles won't fit the shelf.

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:01 pm
by Bdiddy
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:45 pm
by digger303
I''ll need another wall

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:51 pm
by Bdiddy
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:19 pm
by digger303
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:43 pm
by Stokesy44
Nice paintwork there mate.
Try Vallejo Metal Coats for the tracks. Brushes on beautifully (because its so thin) and perfect for painting the metal parts of tracks like these.
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 pm
by jchrisf
I finally found one of your builds digger. Really awesome!

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:14 am
by digger303
Stokesy44 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:43 pm
Nice paintwork there mate.
Try Vallejo Metal Coats for the tracks. Brushes on beautifully (because its so thin) and perfect for painting the metal parts of tracks like these.
Thanks Stokesy. I shall have to buy some as have none. Only life color, Mr hobby, Tamiya, AK extreme, Vallejo panzer ace color set, Vallejo face set, plus a AK tank accessories color set. I'm deficient
Thanks Chris
Not feeling right about being deficient I'v dipped my toe into another paint pond and ordered 3 of the ones in the 32ml bottle...hope that was the right one. All kidding aside I appreciate the help Stokesy

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:19 pm
by digger303
Still waiting for my Metal paint to arrive Stokesy. Being a bit impatient I pressed on with what I had.
Not sure what happened here , but the rear idler was way off line and had to come off. It required a lot of hacking as it was glued into a recess and a support. Luckly the kit actually comes with spare set of idler mounts.

Pressing on the idler was repaired,attached and the tracks assembled. As I said I had to used what paint I had, so I used Mr Hobby h-38 "Steel red" and found it did a pretty good job of replicating the look of newly cast parts consisting of cast iron. All the high points had a nice shine as in reality.

Then I thought as a last minute decision lets muddier her up a quite a bit as it was looking a little uninteresting.

Just a comment on those tracks which are advertised as workable. They are the AFV Club AF35019 which are made for this kit and you can tell because they fit like a glove. The tracks as you can see look tight as a live track should be and they have great detail. They however are not workable as intended I had to cement very pin and connector because they just kept falling apart. That makes it a real pain to paint, mask and weather off the tank. Once it's on it's great and I love the look. Oh and I should mention that clean up was a PIA the rubber blocks all needed sanding due to sink marks, both sides needed sanding,molding line removed on them and the connectors needed work too.
Cheers thanks for looking in.

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:21 pm
by BigWall
Very nice! You're doing a great job on the beast!
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:37 pm
by SMAddict66
Nice recovery with the idler and the weathering of the tracks look great.
Looking forward to the next steps.
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:47 pm
by Stokesy44
Nice work on the tracks and the mud.
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:33 am
by LWWales
I just love seeing weathering, and you've done a great job here!
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:04 am
by Tomcat64
Somehow I managed to miss this turning green!
Great save sorting out the idler mate, and those tracks were well worth the effort as they definitely look the part!
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:53 am
by Quax
Great job on the tracks Digger but they sound an absolute mare!
Paul
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:55 am
by digger303
BigWall wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:21 pm
Very nice! You're doing a great job on the beast!
Very kind words...thank you
SMAddict66 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:37 pm
Nice recovery with the idler and the weathering of the tracks look great.
Looking forward to the next steps.
Thank you I appreciate it....
Stokesy44 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:47 pm
Nice work on the tracks and the mud.
cheers mate
LWWales wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:33 am
I just love seeing weathering, and you've done a great job here!
We shall see if I can stuff it up there is still time
Tomcat64 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:04 am
Somehow I managed to miss this turning green!
Great save sorting out the idler mate, and those tracks were well worth the effort as they definitely look the part!
You blinked and missed it..
That was just luck that a replacement part was supplied, could have just as easily ended up in the bin. Now the tracks are installed I would agree, but before then a fair amount of colorful language could be heard from the MC...
Quax wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:53 am
Great job on the tracks Digger but they sound an absolute mare!
Paul
A lot of patience, sore fingers and a lot of praying to the floor gods was involved.
I got the tools on and bit more weathering and fresh rust applied.

Thanks everyone for taking a peek.

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 am
by Stokesy44
Nice greeblies!

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 am
by digger303
Stokesy44 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 am
Nice greeblies!
Thanks mate, going for the used look.

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 am
by Donkeywalloper
Lovely work on a revived tank from your collection, very pleasant to see a master at his bench
DW
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:13 am
by digger303
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:54 pm
by Donkeywalloper
Remarkably clear headed, as all water based and slightly perfumed, rather pleasant in fact. I do think you're a rather good modeller (note rather, is still in my mind Master status

). I love a model that's hung on a shelf for a while and is resurrected.
Hope you're well?
DW
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:22 pm
by digger303
Donkeywalloper wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:54 pm
Remarkably clear headed, as all water based and slightly perfumed, rather pleasant in fact. I do think you're a rather good modeller (note rather, is still in my mind Master status

). I love a model that's hung on a shelf for a while and is resurrected.
Hope you're well?
DW
Your very kind I shall aspire to your earn your lofty accreditation's... The kit wasn't actually sitting on the shelf, but a new one I started about a month ago. Just forgot to post anything at the beginning ...

As it started as a companion build to a friend I know in Perth ( he builds in VN era mostly )then thought I had better post a couple of pic's here.

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:09 pm
by Tomcat64
Yep really nice work on the tools!
That's one of the details I never seem to get right to my satisfaction so any tips around how you did them - or is that secret arcane knowledge passed down through the generations?
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:01 am
by digger303
Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:09 pm
Yep really nice work on the tools!
That's one of the details I never seem to get right to my satisfaction so any tips around how you did them - or is that secret arcane knowledge passed down through the generations?
Nothing really amazing.
PRIMED with mr hobby 1200
base coated with Life color warm wood shade 2
then a couple of dark streaks with Life color russet brown as fine as I could get which wasn't very fine.
Lastly a wash with AK engine grime

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:35 am
by robwuk
very nice work on the Stuart... Quick one, how do you paint your tools - its one part I tend to struggle
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:08 am
by Gary30
He should be good at tools really shouldn't he, just look at his forum name!

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:20 pm
by digger303
robwuk wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:35 am
very nice work on the Stuart... Quick one, how do you paint your tools - its one part I tend to struggle
Shovel
Wood handles
PRIMED with mr hobby 1200
base coated with Life color warm wood shade 2
then a couple of dark streaks with Life color russet brown ( Redish brown )as fine as I could get which wasn't very fine.
Lastly a wash with AK engine grime
Metal of the Shovel
Primed as above and coat of H-452 ( rubber black )from Mr Hobby and the bottom part of the spade where the paint wears of My Hobby h-38 Steel Red.
Wash of AK engine grime.
All painted off the model and added last.
Crowbar.....H-452 ( rubber black )from Mr Hobby..Wash of AK engine grime.
Matock head...H-452 ( rubber black )from Mr Hobby....Mig extreme Rust wash...Wash of AK engine grime.
Hammer......H-28 Metal Black...Wash of AK engine grime.

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:22 pm
by digger303
Gary30 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:08 am
He should be good at tools really shouldn't he, just look at his forum name!
hmmm....and you know what a 303 is..

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:36 pm
by robwuk
digger303 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:20 pm
robwuk wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:35 am
very nice work on the Stuart... Quick one, how do you paint your tools - its one part I tend to struggle
Shovel
Wood handles
PRIMED with mr hobby 1200
base coated with Life color warm wood shade 2
then a couple of dark streaks with Life color russet brown ( Redish brown )as fine as I could get which wasn't very fine.
Lastly a wash with AK engine grime
Metal of the Shovel
Primed as above and coat of H-452 ( rubber black )from Mr Hobby and the bottom part of the spade where the paint wears of My Hobby h-38 Steel Red.
Wash of AK engine grime.
All painted off the model and added last.
Crowbar.....H-452 ( rubber black )from Mr Hobby..Wash of AK engine grime.
Matock head...H-452 ( rubber black )from Mr Hobby....Mig extreme Rust wash...Wash of AK engine grime.
Hammer......H-28 Metal Black...Wash of AK engine grime.
thanks.. for the M3A1 I did primed black, base of MiG Aged Wood then wash of dark brown wash also from MiG - waited a bit to drag brush over to add "grain"
for metal, rubber black (AK Interactive) then dry-brush of oily steel. Could wash with engine if too bright BUT they will be white-washed with the rest of the vehicle so should tone down
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:01 pm
by RangerNeil
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:32 am
by digger303
AND the most important accompanied rule to BM 303 .........don't get caught..

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:57 am
by Stokesy44
digger303 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:32 am
Or perhaps you mean Breaker Morants Rule 303 - since updated by a committee of experts (drunken squaddies) to Rule 7.62??
AND the most important accompanied rule to BM 303 .........don't get caught..

[/quote]
I had to look it up but it does seem appropriate. I assume its the same as:
Rule 5.56
Rule 0.50
Rule 20 mike mike
Rule Reaper
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:31 pm
by RangerNeil
digger303 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:32 am
AND the most important accompanied rule to BM 303 .........don't get caught..
Precisely why - the now - Rule 7.62 should be delivered from around 1 Km away....

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:01 pm
by Hawkmoon

All looking good and very nice work

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:07 am
by digger303
Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:51 pm
by Tomcat64
Thanks for the info on the tools mate - I'll have a fiddle about with some of that next time around

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:43 am
by digger303
Tomcat64 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:51 pm
Thanks for the info on the tools mate - I'll have a fiddle about with some of that next time around
Your very welcome TC.

Re: M5A1 Stuart
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:16 pm
by digger303