Clear coat mishap

Cars, trucks and bikes
Post Reply
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Clear coat mishap

Post by ryan81 »

Hi guys,

Had a bit of a mishap with my clear coat on my Ducati 888 - looking for advice.

Mist coat and first wet coat went down as usual. However, on the second wet coat, some sections did not even out and I got the below bubbly effect. I suspect it was too wet.

ImageImage

Does anyone know how to fix this? Do you think I could sand it back with a fine grit? I'm hoping the first coats will protect the decals enough that I can smoothen it out.

Thanks in advance!
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

What clear is it???
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by Bdiddy »

Looks like you may have put to much of a wet coat down, as Scotty said what clear are you using?
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I just re-read....two wet coats??
I think the first wet hadn't gassed off completely and you trapped solvent in with the second wet coat....then the bubbles come
Has it eaten he decals too or is it just in the clear??

I do two mist coats, first one very light; second a smidge heavier no wet areas. I time 10 minutes to let each layer gas off
Then I do one wet coat and put it in a cupboard so I don't get my damn fingers in it
This is Splash 2K and Gravity 2k I have done like this
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by ryan81 »

I do a similar method, using a clear from a can - Mr Super Clear UV Cut B522. I do a light mist coat, then a wetter coat (not fully wet but full coverage, wait 20 mins then a wet coat.

The wheels, guards and half the body came out fine, so I think the bubbles are just from going too heavy
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by ryan81 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 am I just re-read....two wet coats??
I think the first wet hadn't gassed off completely and you trapped solvent in with the second wet coat....then the bubbles come
Has it eaten he decals too or is it just in the clear??

I do two mist coats, first one very light; second a smidge heavier no wet areas. I time 10 minutes to let each layer gas off
Then I do one wet coat and put it in a cupboard so I don't get my damn fingers in it
This is Splash 2K and Gravity 2k I have done like this
No damage to the decals at all. It feels like there's just too much clear which has puddled in spots, leaving a bumpy surface, rather than just coarse. Almost like the surface of the ocean
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

ryan81 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:09 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 am I just re-read....two wet coats??
I think the first wet hadn't gassed off completely and you trapped solvent in with the second wet coat....then the bubbles come
Has it eaten he decals too or is it just in the clear??

I do two mist coats, first one very light; second a smidge heavier no wet areas. I time 10 minutes to let each layer gas off
Then I do one wet coat and put it in a cupboard so I don't get my damn fingers in it
This is Splash 2K and Gravity 2k I have done like this
No damage to the decals at all. It feels like there's just too much clear which has puddled in spots, leaving a bumpy surface, rather than just coarse. Almost like the surface of the ocean
ryan81 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:03 am I do a similar method, using a clear from a can - Mr Super Clear UV Cut B522. I do a light mist coat, then a wetter coat (not fully wet but full coverage, wait 20 mins then a wet coat.

The wheels, guards and half the body came out fine, so I think the bubbles are just from going too heavy

Ok good no decal damage...that means you ‘could’ sand it out smooth if you are lucky.
Be careful and it is worth a try to sand it if it isn’t everywhere; otherwise you stripping it and destroying decals anyways
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by ryan81 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:19 am
ryan81 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:09 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 am I just re-read....two wet coats??
I think the first wet hadn't gassed off completely and you trapped solvent in with the second wet coat....then the bubbles come
Has it eaten he decals too or is it just in the clear??

I do two mist coats, first one very light; second a smidge heavier no wet areas. I time 10 minutes to let each layer gas off
Then I do one wet coat and put it in a cupboard so I don't get my damn fingers in it
This is Splash 2K and Gravity 2k I have done like this
No damage to the decals at all. It feels like there's just too much clear which has puddled in spots, leaving a bumpy surface, rather than just coarse. Almost like the surface of the ocean
ryan81 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:03 am I do a similar method, using a clear from a can - Mr Super Clear UV Cut B522. I do a light mist coat, then a wetter coat (not fully wet but full coverage, wait 20 mins then a wet coat.

The wheels, guards and half the body came out fine, so I think the bubbles are just from going too heavy

Ok good no decal damage...that means you ‘could’ sand it out smooth if you are lucky.
Be careful and it is worth a try to sand it if it isn’t everywhere; otherwise you stripping it and destroying decals anyways
That's the way I see it too. I'm not displaying it that way so either the sanding is a success or I buy another kit. Cheers for the input
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

ryan81 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:23 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:19 am
ryan81 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:09 am

No damage to the decals at all. It feels like there's just too much clear which has puddled in spots, leaving a bumpy surface, rather than just coarse. Almost like the surface of the ocean
ryan81 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:03 am I do a similar method, using a clear from a can - Mr Super Clear UV Cut B522. I do a light mist coat, then a wetter coat (not fully wet but full coverage, wait 20 mins then a wet coat.

The wheels, guards and half the body came out fine, so I think the bubbles are just from going too heavy

Ok good no decal damage...that means you ‘could’ sand it out smooth if you are lucky.
Be careful and it is worth a try to sand it if it isn’t everywhere; otherwise you stripping it and destroying decals anyways
That's the way I see it too. I'm not displaying it that way so either the sanding is a success or I buy another kit. Cheers for the input
No worries, good luck to you
I have had it happen to me too and it will probably happen again, unfortunately
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by ryan81 »

Update: cleaned some of it up, sanding from 1000 grit up to 3000 grit. Tough to take back all of the bumps but I would say about 95% of it is gone. Might have to go to 600 or 800 but I already lost a bit of paint from the 1000 so the decals might be at risk by going rougher.

Followed up with all 3 grades of Novus polish to get some shine back. Will need to redo the clear coat when all said and done.

That's the easy part done. The front cowl will be much harder but if I can get the majority of of the bumps taken back I think I will settle and display it like that

Image
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Clear coat mishaps

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

ryan81 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:32 am Update: cleaned some of it up, sanding from 1000 grit up to 3000 grit. Tough to take back all of the bumps but I would say about 95% of it is gone. Might have to go to 600 or 800 but I already lost a bit of paint from the 1000 so the decals might be at risk by going rougher.

Followed up with all 3 grades of Novus polish to get some shine back. Will need to redo the clear coat when all said and done.

That's the easy part done. The front cowl will be much harder but if I can get the majority of of the bumps taken back I think I will settle and display it like that

Image
Hey great result :th:
That is a stressful bit of work, but you pulled it off
:banana: :banana: :banana:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
SMAddict66
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Redditch, UK
England

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by SMAddict66 »

Looks like a fine recovery :clap:
Phil
On the bench - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish
Just off the bench - Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S2B
Next on the bench - Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F2A/F6
User avatar
Whiterook
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:27 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by Whiterook »

I’m not saying this has any chance of being good advice :eeek: ...but I wonder if a coat of Future Acrylic would even out things even more? Regardless.. I think you did a splendid save :bow::
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by BigWall »

Nice save!
Joe

Image
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by Bdiddy »

nice save mate, turned out great
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by digger303 »

Very nice save...almost a miracle :clap: :clap: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: Clear coat mishap

Post by ryan81 »

Thanks everyone. While some of it cleaned up ok, I've made the call to buy another kit and re-do it. Few reasons for this; cheap kit, wasn't happy with the paint initially, aligned one of the main decals way out of line (parallel to the body rather than the other decals), and some of the clear was so bumpy that I couldn't clean without damaging decals.

I'm going to strip down this body and do a custom build with it. Two questions; 1. What is the best way to strip it down to its original state? 2. Any suggestions for a custom build? I was thinking a raw black state, much like the pre-season testing bikes, might be cool. Otherwise, a more vanilla road bike livery might be ther way to go
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
Post Reply

Return to “Road Vehicles”